Larry Crowne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Larry Crowne Reviews

November 15, 2014
Larry est un homme dans la quarantaine qui perd son emploi après des années de bons et loyaux services. Pour pouvoir retrouver un travail et payer son hypothèque, il décide de s'éduquer en prenant des cours au community college le plus proche de chez lui. Là, il deviendra membre d'un gang sympa de conducteurs de mobylette, et tombera sous le charme de sa prof d'expression orale.
Disons-le d'une traite, Tom Hanks est bien meilleur acteur que réalisateur. Voici qu'il nous propose un film certes inoffensif mais tellement cucul que ça en devient risible. C'est dégoulinant de bons sentiments. Holàlà comme tout le monde est gentil. Quand tu fais le college, tu te fais de suite des potes jeunes et branchés, tu apprends à duper une banque grâce à un cours d'économie de base, on te resape, recoiffe, et réorganise ta maison, la belle prof est fan de toi, tu es super doué même si tu n'as jamais étudié quoi que ce soit après la high school... Waow. C'est beau de voir le monde comme cela mais c'est beaucoup, beaucoup trop naïf. Le tout est alourdi par la chanson finale « I'm in America »... donc les USA c'est ce magnifique pays où tout le monde il est super gentil !
½ October 26, 2014
Tom Hanks wins you over with his ever-present charm in this back to college flick.
September 28, 2014
If you keep reserved feelings about downshifting, this film will do an honest attempt to promote it. One of the best employees of a department store gets fired because of insufficient education, loses his house, starts taking courses in a college, working in a cafe as a chef, renting a small flat, and waits what the new life has too offer. And the life has got quite a package: he meets young, active and talented friends, he starts seeing new job prospects, and, last but not the least, he marries his speech course teacher. In fact, they find each other: while she laughs at her husband getting caught by the police, his good humour greatly increases as he find out his former boss who had fired him works as a pizza delivery guy. But I really shouldn't be judgemental: it's quite an innocent pleasure to watch others fall, after all, they may also enjoy downshifting.
½ August 16, 2014
Best thing in this one ....Tom Hanks ....again
Now SOMDVD , still a lovely movie ...enjoyed it more then the first time !
August 13, 2014
Not great, but fairly harmless. Light and fluffy sort of movie. Ostensibly a romantic-comedy-drama, it is too light to be a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy. The romantic aspect feels very contrived and unemotional.

In trying to be everything to everyone, it doesn't really hit the mark on any of its intended targets.

Not all bad though. Reasonably entertaining, and moves at a decent pace. Doesn't take itself too seriously, and is reasonably short. Does have a feel-good aspect to it.

Good performance by Tom Hanks in the lead role. Julia Roberts seems miscast in her role as the jaded teacher. Goody Two Shoes roles are more for her, not roles as dark, less-than-perfect people.
August 4, 2014
I love Larry Crowne. It's a well acted movie, great story, okay . . . simple story . . . but it doesn't have the Hollywood 'crisis' that all love stories must have. It's simple and it flows and I love it. So there.
½ August 3, 2014
It's a pretty ordinary movie when you consider the big names and talent involved. Once you're done with the movie, you move on without a single memory.
August 2, 2014
A surprisingly good supporting cast outshines an awkward Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks; look for Taraji Henson in future projects. A clever Nia Vardalos script redeems this clunker up to a point.
July 17, 2014
Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks are great talents given little to do with such slight and forgettable material.
July 6, 2014
Can't wait for this one, I've got HUUUUGE expectations!!!! :) :D
June 7, 2014
Julia Roberts is a hottie in this movie. Tom Hanks basically hold the whole film together.
June 4, 2014
A very charming movie that I can't really say I have many problems with. One interesting thing about it is that the way it's shot and structured, it almost feels like a TV comedy. I feel like this idea would make for a good hour long comedy series. It's just a fun little movie. I highly recommend it.
May 13, 2014
Not bad exactly, but I don't see what Hanks wanted to accomplish with this movie, it's such a weak story with thin characters. The way he portrayed the friendship between Larry and the female college "buddy" felt so false and forced. And with such small stakes, it's pretty lethal he only basically asks Julia Roberts' character out in the last minute of the movie, there's just not enough interest to care about if they end up together. There's no way this movie gets made other than somebody like Tom Hanks, who wrote and directed as well. I'm glad he got to do his pet project, but it's too bad it's just not good. At least it's not an awful effect, just an extremely banal and mediocre one.
May 7, 2014
Corny ... and overacted, especially by Julia Roberts.
½ April 27, 2014
A highly-underrated romantic comedy that could only have been better if one of those smitten was not a married person at the time. Tom Hanks, who co-wrote, directed, and stars, and Julia Roberts display a wonderful chemistry. There are many truisms in this movie; moments where you watch and think "this has happened to" either you or someone you know. I absolutely loved it.
April 24, 2014
I think I saw this and I think it was good, but I dislike Julia Roberts more with each movie she makes (although that Snow White movie she did with Armie Hammer was fun too, I think mostly because she was the Evil Queen, which seemed apropos to me). I know a lot of people just LOVE her, but I find her obnoxious in just about every role, personally. Even if it is a kind of cute/goofy rom-com with Tom Hanks, whom I consistently love.
½ April 18, 2014
Easy to watch but not romantic enough, Julia's character is too bitchy at the beginning and the chemistry with Tom's character wasn't really there. I really liked the story about never giving up and that it's never too late to study and achieve more things in life.
April 12, 2014
It just didn't work.
April 6, 2014
If there were a star rating lower than 1, I'd bestow this abomination with that honour. If you have any inclination to see this film, re-evaluate your life. No words can paint the picture of foulness that this production deserves. The closest I can get is if I were to describe a rabid ape flinging excrement at a wall with Larry Crowne's portrait placed upon it.

If it has not been made clear by that previous paragraph, do not by any means see this film. Avoid it with your life.