Larry Crowne - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Larry Crowne Reviews

½ January 21, 2015
Un total despropósito esta película.
½ January 18, 2015
Pretty bad but I love Tom Hanks so it's hard for me to give this a low rating. I feel bad for it therefore I kinda like it. Probably one of my guilty pleasures.
January 5, 2015
Very disappointing - the "romance" was almost a surprise as there seemed to be absolutely no interest between the main characters other than one drunken snog. the iconic poster shot actually only appears on the closing credits which is a tad misleading. As far as I could see, it was the unlikely friendship between the hot chick Talia and Crowne that defined the film. The comedic touches were more enjoyable than any alledged rom com element.
December 13, 2014
En feel-good-ig mysfilm, romkom :)
½ December 4, 2014
Likeable but flat and generic.
December 1, 2014
The lightweight, feel-good saga of a man carelessly adrift in middle age without really recognizing how beleaguered he's become. A half-slate at the local community college opens new horizons and introduces him to colorful, inspirational new figures, which he takes in stride admirably. It's soft rock for the cinema, a shallow little story that's aloof and happy but not terribly gripping or important. Tom Hanks is fine in the lead role, throwing back to the classic everyman archetype that brought him fame and fortune, and his chemistry with Julia Roberts (a bitter, icy communications professor) is more comfortable and real than what we saw in their previous collaboration, 2007's Charlie Wilson's War. Beyond a few passages that may or may not have come from a pamphlet on existentialism and a few strangely unexplored plot threads, there's very little to it. Mildly funny, warm and friendly, it's also quite bland and thoroughly whitewashed.
November 15, 2014
Larry est un homme dans la quarantaine qui perd son emploi après des années de bons et loyaux services. Pour pouvoir retrouver un travail et payer son hypothèque, il décide de s'éduquer en prenant des cours au community college le plus proche de chez lui. Là, il deviendra membre d'un gang sympa de conducteurs de mobylette, et tombera sous le charme de sa prof d'expression orale.
Disons-le d'une traite, Tom Hanks est bien meilleur acteur que réalisateur. Voici qu'il nous propose un film certes inoffensif mais tellement cucul que ça en devient risible. C'est dégoulinant de bons sentiments. Holàlà comme tout le monde est gentil. Quand tu fais le college, tu te fais de suite des potes jeunes et branchés, tu apprends à duper une banque grâce à un cours d'économie de base, on te resape, recoiffe, et réorganise ta maison, la belle prof est fan de toi, tu es super doué même si tu n'as jamais étudié quoi que ce soit après la high school... Waow. C'est beau de voir le monde comme cela mais c'est beaucoup, beaucoup trop naïf. Le tout est alourdi par la chanson finale « I'm in America »... donc les USA c'est ce magnifique pays où tout le monde il est super gentil !
½ October 26, 2014
Tom Hanks wins you over with his ever-present charm in this back to college flick.
September 28, 2014
If you keep reserved feelings about downshifting, this film will do an honest attempt to promote it. One of the best employees of a department store gets fired because of insufficient education, loses his house, starts taking courses in a college, working in a cafe as a chef, renting a small flat, and waits what the new life has too offer. And the life has got quite a package: he meets young, active and talented friends, he starts seeing new job prospects, and, last but not the least, he marries his speech course teacher. In fact, they find each other: while she laughs at her husband getting caught by the police, his good humour greatly increases as he find out his former boss who had fired him works as a pizza delivery guy. But I really shouldn't be judgemental: it's quite an innocent pleasure to watch others fall, after all, they may also enjoy downshifting.
½ August 16, 2014
Best thing in this one ....Tom Hanks ....again
Now SOMDVD , still a lovely movie ...enjoyed it more then the first time !
August 13, 2014
Not great, but fairly harmless. Light and fluffy sort of movie. Ostensibly a romantic-comedy-drama, it is too light to be a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy. The romantic aspect feels very contrived and unemotional.

In trying to be everything to everyone, it doesn't really hit the mark on any of its intended targets.

Not all bad though. Reasonably entertaining, and moves at a decent pace. Doesn't take itself too seriously, and is reasonably short. Does have a feel-good aspect to it.

Good performance by Tom Hanks in the lead role. Julia Roberts seems miscast in her role as the jaded teacher. Goody Two Shoes roles are more for her, not roles as dark, less-than-perfect people.
August 4, 2014
I love Larry Crowne. It's a well acted movie, great story, okay . . . simple story . . . but it doesn't have the Hollywood 'crisis' that all love stories must have. It's simple and it flows and I love it. So there.
½ August 3, 2014
It's a pretty ordinary movie when you consider the big names and talent involved. Once you're done with the movie, you move on without a single memory.
August 2, 2014
A surprisingly good supporting cast outshines an awkward Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks; look for Taraji Henson in future projects. A clever Nia Vardalos script redeems this clunker up to a point.
July 17, 2014
Julia Roberts and Tom Hanks are great talents given little to do with such slight and forgettable material.
July 6, 2014
Can't wait for this one, I've got HUUUUGE expectations!!!! :) :D
June 7, 2014
Julia Roberts is a hottie in this movie. Tom Hanks basically hold the whole film together.
June 4, 2014
A very charming movie that I can't really say I have many problems with. One interesting thing about it is that the way it's shot and structured, it almost feels like a TV comedy. I feel like this idea would make for a good hour long comedy series. It's just a fun little movie. I highly recommend it.
May 13, 2014
Not bad exactly, but I don't see what Hanks wanted to accomplish with this movie, it's such a weak story with thin characters. The way he portrayed the friendship between Larry and the female college "buddy" felt so false and forced. And with such small stakes, it's pretty lethal he only basically asks Julia Roberts' character out in the last minute of the movie, there's just not enough interest to care about if they end up together. There's no way this movie gets made other than somebody like Tom Hanks, who wrote and directed as well. I'm glad he got to do his pet project, but it's too bad it's just not good. At least it's not an awful effect, just an extremely banal and mediocre one.
May 7, 2014
Corny ... and overacted, especially by Julia Roberts.