Reviews

• Oct 27, 2015

Typical Alex van Warmerdam's noir & quirkiness.

Typical Alex van Warmerdam's noir & quirkiness.

• Apr 08, 2013

A very interesting movie that really showcases the interactions of people pitted against each other for the common good or just to keep their own sanity.

• Dec 18, 2012

The scenery and composition of the shots is beautiful (as it seems to be in all these independent European movies), but in the end you're not really sure what exactly is going on, or what the movie wanted to say. It's about some lady who has a family who play as her servants (even her own brother is playing the dog, which is incredibly weird). They never really explain how or why this family got this way and we find out they continue on because they are waiting for some inheritance she promised to leave them. All the time the film takes us through these surreal characters and situations yet its ambitions as a piece of storytelling are nothing surreal or in any way striking, just bland and dark.

• Jun 17, 2011

Quirky, darkly funny Dutch comedy. Moves along at a cracking pace, and has some good social commentary along the way.

• Feb 21, 2011

Another masterpiece from both the most talented and underrated currently active Dutch director Alex van Warmerdam. A hilarious dark comedy with some surreal elements and a stage play atmosphere, this didn't disappoint.

• Feb 18, 2011

I'm not sure what to make of this film -- and don't sympathise with the younger characters (Gonnie and Meier).

almost surreal, deliberately isolated

almost surreal, deliberately isolated

• Feb 18, 2011

a very interesting film. dutch production that is original, funny, dramatic and actually quite good. the idea of the film. it may not be the best execution of it, as the last act (which was supposed to give more realism to the film) actually strays even further from reality based on the actions of the characters. it makes sense. somehow i guess. could be more complex. and even stranger. but thats just me.

• Feb 18, 2011

This was a fantastic dark comedy. I loved how it was a relatively self contained story that happen all in the house and with just a handful of characters. And the story never apologizes for being so dark with it's humor. It gets a little drawn out towards the end I feel like they could have lost a few scenes. And the ending was left a bit too opening. I more definite ending with more character resolution would have been appreciated.

• Feb 18, 2011

I like this dutch film. Its an "action" movie. Not the kind of action that you see in blockbusters, but the miming kind of action. On the other hand, this movie can be alittle boring and sometimes ridiculous. Thank goodness, action speaks louder than words so you won't have to read the translation throughout the movie. For some people, this movie would be alittle slow moving but for me its fine. Its about Emma Blank, who is the mother of the household and acts like a queen in the house. Her husband and children has to serve her formally and be treated like a servant. She also has a "dog" in the house, or rather a human kind of dog. He has to be treated and called like a dog. He has to perform the actions like a dog, including masturbation against someone's leg. He has to poop in the sand like a dog and run to catch ball. They were all doing that just to inherit the wealthy possession that was promised to them by Emma Blank when she died. Finally, when she revealed that there wasn't any money for them, they gave up treating her well, rebelled and even staple her to the ground. On top of this usual plot, there were small interesting scene where Emma's daughter was involved with a guy she couldn't take home. Skip this movie if you don't have patience to watch the slow action movie. Not really slow, but somethings are quite mundane. 2.5/5.