Last Call at the Oasis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Call at the Oasis Reviews

½ December 13, 2015
An absolutely fascinating look at water and how much we actually consume. The potential for future shortages and disasters was terrifying.
May 13, 2014
This is a MUST WATCH documentary! So important- I don't think many people realize how much we are in a global water crisis. Really eye-opening but also just a really well done film. This film looks at areas around the world that are going through a water crisis now, like California and Australia (10 year drought!), as well as what are our options- recycling water from waste (perfectly sanitary-they do it in Singapore now). We can't reverse climate change, but we can do things now to help the water crisis that is happening now.
½ May 11, 2014
I'm surprised that I missed this essential documentary -- as WATER is my #1 Environmental Issue of concern. In the case of Victoria,BC tap water -- the issue is Chloramine contamination. The apathy and lack of awareness regarding this issue in Victoria seems par for the course upon reflection after viewing this film. People don't seem to become aware until they(we) reach some kind of Crisis Point....sadly enough!
April 28, 2014
Adequate doc. You'll need to take the time to look up some terminology - but it's worth it.
½ January 21, 2014
It cannot be stated enough that the water struggles of the world are not talked about as often as they should by the media. This documentary covers the water shortages that permeate Third World Countries, as well as pollutant leaks from medical companies in commercial waterways, the issue of recycled water, and the benefits of conservatism in places that see water as a right rather than a luxury. The film covers every extensive issue of water shortage in the world, including right here in the United States, where conservation, and a heeding for regulation of water in dry and agrarian communities, has come under fire by many groups in the country. Even Erin Brockovich gives some face time for the cameras, going back to the town she initially helped twenty years ago, where pollution is still high. The call to arms is very strong in this film and it's as informative as it is shocking.
December 17, 2013
A must watch for every human
½ December 10, 2013
This underwhelming documentary does not live up to its title or marketing. Visually, Jessica Yu did a great job keeping us engaged, but the film lacks coherent focus, substance beyond conjecture, and dare I say honesty in it's coverage.

The first 20 minutes creates an adequate, cohesive thread introducing two water depletion issues affecting the western United States (the desert city Las Vegas, and the Central Valley), but we don't get any data or evidence to be convinced these represent a sweeping issue around the globe. Rather than explain some infrared imagery of the earth like any 10 minute TEDTalk presentation would do, the professor behind the images is simply reduced to vacuous dramatic tension by saying some form of "we're screwed" every time he's cut into the narrative. It reminds me of when I would come home from school ten years ago; a local christian station had a daily program on that spent an hour connecting the current international news events to the book of Revelations with their point being that the rapture was coming soon and that President Bill Clinton was most likely the Anti-Christ who would unite the world as the leader of he U.N. Any fool can make an argument; I need compelling evidence to show me it's worth my time to consider.

From here, the film then abruptly shrinks itself down to a handful of 15 minute anecdotal vignettes, mostly on a few individuals in small American towns. These feel like desperate time fillers, superficial in their coverage (again, lacking data to either show us a problem or the cause) and too niche to be relevant to most Americans let alone the global community. Instead of water shortages, these mostly had to do with random accounts of pollution in small community water supplies, usually involving agriculture. I had to laugh at one point when it tried to make an algae bloom in lake Michigan sound like an unsafe toxin. Algae is just a benign, natural, single-celled aquatic vegetation that grows rapidly in warm and sunny water, as all photosynthetic organisms are prone to do.

In the last 20 minutes, the film picks back up where the first 20 minutes left off, a quick look at a couple of government water projects outside the US that affect the supply of others. Its message about the social effect was that when neighboring countries have water disputes, it actually ends up being the topic that brings them together amicably with a shared future vision.
July 15, 2013
Presents the issue of water from a good number of angles to expose a crisis with many different fronts to fight on. Although the attempt at hope at the end of the film is intended to motivate, it represents what is likely too little, too late.
½ May 4, 2013
The movie start with the exposure of the biggest problem and establishes it well that the war of twenty century will be a war on Water, not power of military forces or nuclear power but simply the number natural resource which is known as water.

The theme is relevant and critically catchy, yet also scary that water crisis is happening and soon the earth will no longer have enough water for its population.

My biggest interest is how. A film is put together, the editing and scrip. The script is well developed and the process of the film developing is slow but slow enough. The idea of shifting the subject from water shortage in America to contaminated water in America. With one of my favorite character making an appearance Erin Brockovich lifting the story from standard to what she is known to do, going around and helping people suffering from cancer due to water contamination. The story enfolds as it finally touches the emotional side. The fear of contaminated water growing

As the story comes to a great wrap up, the question is, is there a water shortage around the world or is that the world has become over populated as time advanced in the last last 15 years.

Overall this movie is a great documentary, it may not be the best documentary I have seen but it was a pretty darn good topic to address and a pretty good topic for the next generation to focus on.

I give this movie a score of 3 out of five.
February 21, 2013
what an eye opener! I knew the world's water situation was bad but I always took North Americas water for granted. That will not happen anymore, I will do what I can and learn what I can to help preserve our water.
December 5, 2012
A sobering look at the loss of probably our most precious resource.
½ November 14, 2012
Usually not a ''doc'' fan but this was informative and well made.
November 9, 2012
Must see movie for kids and adults !
½ October 31, 2012
Another worthless propaganda film made to manipulate the thinking of the scientifically illiterate public...
June 24, 2012
This doc was freaking great. Scary and sad, but great.
May 13, 2012
Documentary on the water crisis.
May 6, 2012
Watch this movie. You might learn that water is the single factor that ties our man-made environmental problems together. It has no boundaries. Solving this problem is a great place to start repairing the world.
May 3, 2012
It's a great movie. Intense, visually striking, entertaining, depressing, cinematic, surprisingly exhilarating. Most importantly, it's entertaining and factually correct. It has journalistic bona fides while still remembering to keep an audience emotionally invested. Top notch.
March 2, 2012
I saw this at a local film festival. A poor mish-mosh of issues around water and now tainted by the fact that one of their leading voices Peter Gleick is being investigated for falsifying information. The film wasn't that good before this scandal about their prime expert.
½ November 30, 2011
I was able to see this film at the Savannah Film Festival and it was great! I thought about skipping it because I had a lot to do that week, but I was so glad I stayed around and saw it. It was funny, sad, snarky (where needed) and informative. Kept me interested the whole time and it was all about water... and the lack of.