The Last House on the Left - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last House on the Left Reviews

May 22, 2017
one of the best horror films ever made
½ May 16, 2017
A bold boundary pushing movie that masterfully blends directing tone and atmosphere and performances to create a very unsettling movie not movie that necessarily recommend
½ April 30, 2017
Low budget independent movie that took the horror genre to a new level by raising the gore voilence and depravity. Its really dated and drags in many area's but the directing by Craven is good. I love the ending.
April 27, 2017
Overhyped with not even close to the shock value it's made out to have. Why was it banned in certain countries? A truly awful film not worthy of one star!
April 26, 2017
I liked this film but I can see why many would not
October 24, 2016
Wes Cravens first film is not that good, but not that bad ether. The acting is good but the film goes all over the place, like two cops trying to find Mari and Phyllis, to Krug and Company chasing after and killing and raping Mari and Phyllis. give an 7/10
October 12, 2016
Despite the film being outdated, to me, this is truly one of the most scariest and controversial films of all time.
It's disturbing, unnerving, and it really frightened me.
½ October 7, 2016
It was alright I suppose. It was disturbing in parts, but not at all what I was expecting. Certain elements in the movie are misplaced, such as the humour. I mean I just watched to women brutality die, and then I get treated to the two bumbling cops falling all over themselves. Just really odd.
September 29, 2016
I remember reading some stuff about this movie a while back and some people said this was a very disturbing film. It is disturbing but not like I thought...I guess for 70's standards it was though. I still enjoyed the film overall but it's outdated in my opinion. It's not one of those movies that holds up well. But it does have some creepy feel about it and the actors were pretty decent. 6/10 OR 3/5
September 28, 2016
This is not an easy film to watch. Even 40+ years after the initial release there are scenes that can still shock audiences. The downside of the film is that it is tonally scattered and feels rather amateur at times. 3 stars
September 10, 2016
A gritty horror masterpiece that still holds up today. It has a great atmosphere, score with a bloody and disturbing ending that won't disappoint.
August 30, 2016
The "classic" of the exploitation genre often remembered for its dark and incredibly bleak depiction of rape and revenge. These moments are shocking, horrifying, and just plain hard to watch. So in sort, it accomplished everything it set out to.

However, I have to say, there are many scenes that make the film seem very unorganized. Specifically all the comedic scenes of hippies stealing cop cars, baking cakes, and guys fallen off of chicken trucks. It seems way too out of the tone of the rest of the movie. I know that's probably the point, but it doesn't make it any less jarring. It's a film with an audience, but I definitely see more people disliking it than loving it, for many different reasons.
July 3, 2016
Almost turned it off.
½ June 27, 2016
Completely disturbing.
June 19, 2016
Exploitation is supposed to be fun, but there is no fun here unless you get off on seeing vile scenes of rape and brutality, and the movie is so trashy and tonally awful that it becomes bizarre the way it combines all that ugly violence with a ridiculous, childish sense of humor.
½ June 18, 2016
It's not great, in fact there's a whole lot of things that are wrong with it, but I couldn't help but be swept up in the film from its grueling woods abduction segment to its puzzling parental revenge finale. All of the elements that make so many people hate it fascinate me more than repel me.
½ April 27, 2016
The Last House on the Left (1972) ? 1/2
Wes Craven's first film is moderately awful shocker about two girls who are humiliated and murdered by convicts, and the parents who get sweet revenge. Interesting as Craven's first, and has its (admittedly) powerful moments, but it's cheap, repellent, and overall extremely uneven. Marshall Anker and Martin Kove are pretty funny as the policemen. Last 15 minutes or so should be the only thing worth seeing. Warning: This film is very graphic.
February 19, 2016
Here's a film it's fair to say I hate. Why do I hate it? It's really poorly made, and totally inconsistent in tone. But it's not just that ... it's inconsistent in ways that really ends up belittling and denigrating its victims. There's a kind of artless depravity to this that reminds me of the worst of Rob Zombie's puerile output. I kind of loathe every minute of it.
February 5, 2016
Surprisingly good early horror flick from Wes Craven. Much better than you would think actually. Sure you got a cheesy performance or two, but it doesn't really hurt the effectiveness that is created by Craven.
It's also pretty strange in that offsetting the scenes of rape and torture, are scenes are almost slapstick goofiness with the two bumbling officers and a slap your knee, twangy honky tonk soundtrack to boot.
But some of the scenes of torture are rough, though not as unsettling today as I'm sure they were in 1972.
In lesser hands I think this would've been just another campy horror flick like Friday the 13th or Sleepaway Camp or any number of the like, but in Craven's the movie rises above that and stands out as one of the best of that time.
January 16, 2016
It doesn't work quite as well in the 21st Century as it did in the 70's but Last House still packs a mighty gut punch of gore and violence to leave even the hardened horror fan flinching.