Last Kind Words - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last Kind Words Reviews

September 18, 2016
I thought it was pretty good until I realized it wasn't.
½ January 28, 2015
This film is a trainwreck of bad filmmaking and should be avoided at all costs. A phenomenally boring and uninteresting main lead who doesn't drive the narrative anyway. He merely wanders around and somehow all the mysteries are told to him, even though he doesn't react to anything going or told to him.

And that might be tolerable if the film was actually interesting in the story it was telling. But it is not, it takes what (you eventually learn) could have been a dark story and makes you care so little about that you are just waiting for it to end so you never have to go back to it ever again.

Also, the ending will make you want to punch the writer for being a bloody idiot.
½ August 25, 2014
Awesome little ghostly fairy tale, a nice breath of fresh air from the typical modern horror slasher type of film.
July 17, 2014
Fresh approach to the ghost genre. If you're looking for scare factor, then the image shown here is possibly the scariest thing you'll see, however, if you're wanting a well scripted story that entices you in and holds you through 'til the credits, then this is a good choice. 4 out of 5 stars ffor me.
July 12, 2014
This low-budget horror is crap. I figured it out from the beginning, surprising my daughter. There are no scares and the story takes forever to get where it is going. The effects are all bones and mummified remains - nothing too difficult. The final act made no sense at all. Stupidity.
½ July 5, 2014
Excellent movie good plot fine acting this film moves fast worth your time.
June 22, 2014
Interesting. But nothing special.
½ May 30, 2014
Last Kind Words was quite good; a solid ghost story, and interesting mystery. The characters are well drawn out and while flawed, are likeable to some extent. There are some really great ideas at work here, and all are explored creating a vivid experience.
½ May 28, 2014
'Last Kind Words' combines a coming-of-age tale with the thrills and chills of an old-fashioned Southern Gothic ghost story--A grievous tale of isolation, selfishness, loss, and the quest for closure!!
March 7, 2014
Not a scary movie. Drama/love story with ghosts.
½ October 19, 2013
This movie is more of a "ghost story" drama than it is a horror film. The acting and cinematography are both excellent, however, the plot itself could have been a bit more engaging.
October 2, 2013
The story was ridiculous and unimportant. Liked the setting.

Nice seeing Brad Dourif. Too bad the other actors were crap.
½ September 29, 2013
Same old boring crappy horror film.
September 21, 2013
I really enjoyed this film, the story was excellent, the actors terrific and the soundtrack haunting. If you are looking for a gory slasher flick this is not the film for you as it's basically a born and bred southern supernatural love story mixed up with a bit of murder mystery intrigue. I'm very surprised at some of the bad ratings on here as it has quite a lot of excellent ratings elsewhere but I think a few people were led astray by the DVD cover art and went into this thinking it was just your everyday teenage horror malarkey, which it most definitely isn't. This is a beautiful well made film that offers chills rather than buckets of blood and does not allow you to just switch off at the end like countless other run of the mill horror stories. I gave this a well deserved 5 out of 5 and for me it was honestly one of the best films I've seen in a very long time.
September 11, 2013
Really bad, and really boring. Only good part is Alexia Fast as Amanda (super hot and immensely watchable). If you are curious, just fast forward to whenever she's on and skip the rest.
August 27, 2013
Last Kind Words (Kevin Barker, 2012)

When I saw this flick up for grabs on Netflix while I was trolling the "Popular on Netflix" queue a couple of weeks ago (I am not ashamed to admit I do this at least once a month), I added it on the off chance that some indie director had taken a crack at adapting a Tom Piccirilli novel to the screen, something that is way overdue. I did so even though I know that any film adaptation of Piccirilli's work would probably not even come close to the original, though I imagine the noir stuff like The Last Kind Words would be easier to adapt than the crazy Southern gothic stuff of his I like even better (A Choir of Ill Children is not only my favorite Piccirilli novel, it is one of my favorite books of all time). And I figured, hey, if it's not Piccirilli, and it's just another DTV picture, what's the most I've got to lose, an hour and a half of a work-from-home Tuesday when I could be watching another equally crappy DTV movie? I tell you all this to give you an idea of the mindset I was in when I hit play on Last Kind Words. I wasn't expecting much, and I hate to admit that as soon as I saw Brad Dourif, I was expecting even less. I love Brad Dourif, always have, but man, it is hard to get the stink of Fading of the Cries out of your head, you know? And so to say Last Kind Words blindsided me would be something of an understatement. But it does make this review quite a bit easier to write, because it gives me a point of comparison. I have a (very) short shelf of the DTV horror flicks that, for my money, should have gotten theatrical releases, because they're a damn sight better than pretty much any horror film that's been turned out by Hollywood in the past decade. Cube is, of course, the one everyone is familiar with, but most horror geeks have probably seen Shallow Ground, DeadBirds, or Pony Trouble!. The real nerds have dug far enough in to have found perhaps the best treasures in the bunch, Baby Blues and Lockout. Now I'm adding Last Kind Words to that short shelf; it stands easily with any of the above. And for the love of Johnson County, it's good to have the old Brad Dourif back!

Plot: Bud (Pirates of Silicon Valley's Clay Wilcox), his wife Ida (Stake Land's Marianne Hagan), and his son Eli (Star Trek's Spencer Daniels) have moved back to Bud's rural Kentucky hometown in the wake of some sort of personal shake-up (possibly Bud losing his job, but if it is ever explicitly stated, I don't remember), going to work for Bud's old next-door neighbor Waylon (Dourif). Eli, being teenaged and footloose, is less than thrilled with the arrangement until, while wandering in the woods near Waylon's place, he comes upon Amanda (Repeaters' Alexia Fast), tall, willowy, blonde/redhead, and all the sudden the backwoods are waaaaaaaaay more interesting...even though Eli left a raven-haired love (Please Give beauty Sarah Steele) back in the city. And as if throwing a love triangle into the mix isn't enough, Eli's wandering through the woods starts uncovering more rural Kentucky secrets-things that the locals would rather have stay buried. And to top it all off, it seems that (a) Eli may be replaying some years-earlier drama involving Bud and Waylon, and (b) Waylon is in hock up to his ears to the local loanshark, Mr. Peterson (Hit Me's Rich Williams), who's getting mighty impatient.

And you know, I didn't realize it until I started writing that plot synopsis, but we kinda did get a Tom Piccirilli Southern gothic movie here. I wouldn't characterize it as horror in any sense; it is more of that kind-of-indefinable "supernatural drama" genre that Asian film industries do so well (Japan, India, and Hong Kong, especially) with a couple of mysteries mixed in beneath the surface. But the real draw, at least for me, ended up being the romance angle, once the city girlfriend was introduced; Barker, adapting a story by Amy Riherd Miller, miffed the plotline a couple of times (he was, erm, less than subtle in the scene where Eli realizes he's in a situation where he probably has to choose, and then, while the ultimate resolution of the love-triangle subplot is all too realistic, and very powerfully shot-for which I should be giving him props, no?-it still feels as if there should have been one more scene there. Even though there probably shouldn't. Watch the movie and see for yourself), but it really stood out for the realism and tenderness with which Barker handled the material. Which carried over into the rest of the movie, really, though how much realism one can reasonably inject into what is, at its heart, a simple ghost story is questionable. That just makes this movie all the more impressive.

I think I just talked myself into kicking the rating I originally gave this movie up half a star. Which doesn't sound like much, but to put it in perspective, three-and-a-half star movies are not automatically entered onto my thousand-best list (as of this writing-August 9, 2013-my spreadsheet lists 690 titles to which I've given three and a half stars; 284 of them are on the thousand-best list). Four-star movies are. That's the most important half a star in my movie-ranking hierarchy, when it comes right down to it, and the more I think about the little details in this movie, the more I think it deserves it. This is very, very good stuff, and it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible. See it sooner rather than later. ****
½ August 19, 2013
More of a love story than a horror story. The kid falls in love with a ghost nothing original about the story but it did have a few twist to the plot. Great cinema photography
August 15, 2013
The low score this movie has as I'm writing it (33%) saddens me because this is not at all a bad movie. Part of the problem I think is that people are going into this movie with the wrong impression of what they're going to see. I thought I was about to watch a supernatural horror story filled with evil vengeful ghosts, and the prologue doesn't do much to change that notion. That's not what this movie is at all, though. What this movie is, however, is a character-driven coming-of-age piece, with a bit of ghost story added in for flavor. The movie is more haunting than haunted--it builds at a slow-burning, lingering pace, with the camera often letting the quiet atmosphere and the emotion of the moment speak for themselves. While I was never bored watching it, I can easily see how others might be, especially if they were looking forward to a completely different experience.
½ August 11, 2013
Only wanted to see this because Brad Dourif was in this. Boring. Not that good. Liked Alexia Fast's performance overall.
½ July 28, 2013
This is probably more thoughtful than your typical 'horror' flick. Problem is this isn't so much a horror film as it is a teen romance with some hints of horror here and there. I didn't entirely dislike this movie to be honest, it's got a more than solid cast, with the highlight being Brad Dourif, some good ideas and some great cinematography. But the first 40 minutes or so of the movie are a gigantic chore to get through. At least until you find out that Amanda, SPOILER ALERT, is really a ghost. And even then, they don't really use it for scares rather than using it as an obstacle in Eli and Amanda's budding "relationship". And there's some good ideas here about obsession and teen depression, especially with how the movie ends, but I don't think these ideas ever translate into a dramatically effective story. And the romance itself, while not uninteresting, felt a little vanilla. Take the horror out of this story, and the romance could've very easily been made into a CW TV pilot. Though unlike a CW series, it is more thoughtfully written. Perhaps I'm overstating the point, but the romance could've used an edgier side to it. As mentioned the cast, especially for what looks to be a low-budget affair is more than solid and they have as much to do with making the film as good as it is since I don't think the script is up to their talents. I mean it is decent, and it has some good ideas but, as mentioned, those ideas don't necessarily translate to effective storytelling. I did think that Spencer Daniels, who played the lead, was a little wooden at times and he would be the only one in the cast that, I would say, did a below average job. The movie also looks really nice for its budget. Perhaps if the first 40 or so minutes of the film were more interesting, I'd have given this film a better rating, but they are a chore to get through and it really makes the overall movie average at best.