The Last King of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last King of Scotland Reviews

December 1, 2016
Interesting film based on true past events in Uganda. Worth a watch.
November 3, 2016
The two films that I would like to review are "The Last King of Scotland" and " Catch a Fire," both based on true story that took place in Africa. The Last King of Scotland was a very touching film, which starred Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin. Forest really played his part in this movie, me as the audience felt the emotional aspect this movie set. I touched base with some of the characters; Kay Amin ( played by Kerry Washington) who was one of the last wives of Idi Amin. Her love affair with Dr.Nicholas Garrigan (played by James McAvoy) seemed to be very genuine, but it was a love affair that caused Kay to get murdered. That's after a boarding the baby Kay and Dr.Garrigan conceived. Dr.Nicholas Garrigan was a Scottish doctor on a mission to help, he became Idi Amin's personal physician and confidante.
Catch a Fire was a movie based out of South Africa, which was basically about terrorist. The movie was good, there were a some parts I could connect with. A hard working black man just trying to make a honest living for his family; Patrick Chamusso who was played by Derek Luke. Patrick got falsely accused of bombing the se factory that he works in. Patrick Chamusso was husband, father, son, and coach for a local soccer team. The bombing at the factory placed Chamusso as a terrorist (falsely accused). Nic Vos who is a very high ranked colonel; played by Tim Robbins spent weeks of beating and torturing Patrick trying to get answers.
In the Last King of Scotland Nicholas put all his trust into Idi Amin thinking he was a good President of Uganda, without even realizing that he was mentally being tortured. Just as in the film Catch a Fire, but instead Patrick was being tortured physically and forced join the AFC. The AFC is a outlawed activist organization, which stands for African National Congress. Nic Vos considered them terrorist. Idi Amin was no different from Nic Vos, they both did lots of killings. Nicholas started to see certain people that surrounded President Amin disappear. As in Catch a Fire Patrick closed friends were being tortured and killed by Vos.
When Idi Amin find out about Kay (his wife) and Dr.Nicholas affair, as well as the baby, he had her murdered. He had her body cut into pieces; arms, legs, head, ears etc. all cut in pieces. Took me to when Nic Vos took Patricks wife Precious (played by Bonnie Henna) and had raped and tortured by his Lieutenants, all just to get a false confession out of Chamusso. "They take you to a tree and hang you by your skin. Each time you scream the evil comes out of you. Sometimes, it can take three days for your evil to be spent. Pull him up" quoted by President Idi Amin. He took thick fish hooks and pierced Dr.Garrigan by his chest (nipples) and hung him. Dr.Garrigan ended up escaping back to Scotland to tell the truth about Uganda. Patrick did the same thing when he had to leave his family to join the AFC, once he was released from Nic Vos. Vos drove Patrick to join the AFC, Patrick was not about politics by any means. Once he joined the AFC his name then became "Hotstuff."
Both the Last King of Scotland and Catch a Fire were great movies. However, in Catch a Fire I find Derek Luke acting to be a little on the normal side. It was not his best movie. I found myself more connected to the movie "Antwone Fisher" then Catch a Fire. In Catch a Fire after he as let go, he was always on the run. His wife told Nic Vos where to find Patrick, because they (the Lieutenants) told her he was cheating with one of the woman in the AFC. Although, I will say that Derek Luke evolution from pillar of the community to terrorist was brilliant. I actually find it more interesting to watch Tim Robbins play Nic Vos. Nic Vos was a monster in this movie. The Last King of Scotland gave some real insight into the terrifying Idi Amin. He was not painted as a sympathetic way and does not cover up the troubles of Ugandan government. Forest Whitaker really out did himself in this film. I did not like him at all, he was so hateful. I've felt that one way in one other movie from his, which is "Jason's Lyric." When you can step into character where the audience feels you mentally, emotionally and physically means they executed they're acting just right. There was a quote that stuck out to me in Catch a Fire when Nic Vos finally caught Patrick, that I would like to end with, and I quote "my children, when they speak of their father, they will say he was a man who stood up for what was right, a man who said he must do something now. What will your children say about you?"
September 30, 2016
A very powerful, yet very disturbing movie. Forest Whitaker is quite amazing but very scary. A movie worth seeing.
August 24, 2016
8 and a half years ago, I took my dad to go see this movie. While watching it, I was blown away by Forest Whitaker's performance! He is so damn good as the corrupt ruler of Uganda, and couldn't imagine anyone else pulling it off as great as he did! This is a great example of how a good acting performance should be pulled off, and it will stand the test of time! One of the the few movies where the oscars actually got it right, not relying on blackmail from the corrupt studio executives, on what they think good films should be about! 9/10!
½ August 23, 2016
A cute film following an idiotic white man as he goes to the third world to do idiotic white men things. My date and I were persistently amazed how stupid the lead character was, a fact that, by the end of the film, robbed the viewer of some enjoyment. Still, it was an enjoyable romp through an African power circle, and it had enough political contextualization to make the story coherent and interesting. Forest Whitaker's performance was wonderful and carried the film.
½ August 16, 2016
When looking at the DVD cover then reading the title, you'd think the people making the DVD's made a mistake. The Last King of... Scotland? It kind of makes you want to watch it just from the confusing title. The real reason why I wanted to watch this movie was because Forest Whitaker won an oscar for his lead role of Idi Amin, and man did he not dissappoint. I didn't even see Forest Whitaker after 30 seconds of his performance. Not only did he completely transform, but you actually like his character to begin with. Along with a great script and superb performances from both Whitaker and James McAvoy, I was invested the entire way through. I was also suprised how intriguing and intense the film became in the second and third acts. It's the kind of intrigue where you sit there thinking, "Okay, this whole situation seems too good to be true. Something's not right here." With that thought in your mind, you get sucked into the story all the way to an ending that really reminded me of 'Argo'. No spoilers, but there are some similarities. Overall, this is a film to watch for the performances. Sure the story is a good story and the location and setting is a unique one, but the performances really elevate this movie. Give it a watch.
August 14, 2016
What made the movie good was Forest Whitaker acting, it was like you where actually there with Idi Amin.
½ July 23, 2016
Equally great performance between James McAvoy and Forest Whitaker.
July 19, 2016
Well-acted but far too violent and predictable for me to enjoy.
July 14, 2016
I hoped a lot of this movie... Donīt misunderstand me this is a great movie, but sometimes I felt they were some scenes that were irrelevant in the course of the film as well as some characters. I really hated Forest Whitaker performing Idi Amin, I mean, it was so believable that I really felt I saw Idi Amin instead of Forest Whitaker and honestly I think James McAvoy has done better in other movies, it was quite good but not astonishing as I would expect in the mix with Whitaker. Good movie but didn't catch me at all.
½ June 23, 2016
Flawless performances, taut thrills, and many frightening moments.
June 20, 2016
Strong drama led by a strong performance from Forest Whitaker.
June 8, 2016
This movie has 87% meanwhile Zootopia has 98%.
Get yourself together.
May 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker's powerhouse performance as real-life dictator Idi Amin greatly elevates this Hollywood fictionalization of a period of massacre and corruption in Uganda.
½ April 11, 2016
Not what I want expecting. Absolutely brilliant. Forest Whittaker was excellent.
March 30, 2016
2016-03-30 very well done, but kind of horrifying.
March 27, 2016
Whitaker delivers a fantastic performance in this fictional tale based on real life people. Dramatic script guides the cast through a hard edged story.
March 18, 2016
An intense movie that shows how a dictatorship is developed nearly in silence also with the help of some inconscious people. The most remarkable thing is surely the impressive performance of Forest Whitaker, capable of perfectly showing a great set of emotions, changing them every 2 minutes. Truly amazing.
½ March 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker delivers a convincing performance as the ruthless Ugandan dictator, while along with McAvoy, they manage to bring about the tension between the two characters.
½ February 24, 2016
With an absolutely spectacular performance from Forest Whitaker and the well-crafted story structure, The Last King of Scotland is an above average political drama containing intrigue and tense moments, even when the film itself is mixed with fiction.