The Last King of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last King of Scotland Reviews

September 30, 2016
A very powerful, yet very disturbing movie. Forest Whitaker is quite amazing but very scary. A movie worth seeing.
August 24, 2016
8 and a half years ago, I took my dad to go see this movie. While watching it, I was blown away by Forest Whitaker's performance! He is so damn good as the corrupt ruler of Uganda, and couldn't imagine anyone else pulling it off as great as he did! This is a great example of how a good acting performance should be pulled off, and it will stand the test of time! One of the the few movies where the oscars actually got it right, not relying on blackmail from the corrupt studio executives, on what they think good films should be about! 9/10!
½ August 23, 2016
A cute film following an idiotic white man as he goes to the third world to do idiotic white men things. My date and I were persistently amazed how stupid the lead character was, a fact that, by the end of the film, robbed the viewer of some enjoyment. Still, it was an enjoyable romp through an African power circle, and it had enough political contextualization to make the story coherent and interesting. Forest Whitaker's performance was wonderful and carried the film.
½ August 16, 2016
When looking at the DVD cover then reading the title, you'd think the people making the DVD's made a mistake. The Last King of... Scotland? It kind of makes you want to watch it just from the confusing title. The real reason why I wanted to watch this movie was because Forest Whitaker won an oscar for his lead role of Idi Amin, and man did he not dissappoint. I didn't even see Forest Whitaker after 30 seconds of his performance. Not only did he completely transform, but you actually like his character to begin with. Along with a great script and superb performances from both Whitaker and James McAvoy, I was invested the entire way through. I was also suprised how intriguing and intense the film became in the second and third acts. It's the kind of intrigue where you sit there thinking, "Okay, this whole situation seems too good to be true. Something's not right here." With that thought in your mind, you get sucked into the story all the way to an ending that really reminded me of 'Argo'. No spoilers, but there are some similarities. Overall, this is a film to watch for the performances. Sure the story is a good story and the location and setting is a unique one, but the performances really elevate this movie. Give it a watch.
August 14, 2016
What made the movie good was Forest Whitaker acting, it was like you where actually there with Idi Amin.
½ July 23, 2016
Equally great performance between James McAvoy and Forest Whitaker.
July 19, 2016
Well-acted but far too violent and predictable for me to enjoy.
July 14, 2016
I hoped a lot of this movie... Donīt misunderstand me this is a great movie, but sometimes I felt they were some scenes that were irrelevant in the course of the film as well as some characters. I really hated Forest Whitaker performing Idi Amin, I mean, it was so believable that I really felt I saw Idi Amin instead of Forest Whitaker and honestly I think James McAvoy has done better in other movies, it was quite good but not astonishing as I would expect in the mix with Whitaker. Good movie but didn't catch me at all.
½ June 23, 2016
Flawless performances, taut thrills, and many frightening moments.
June 20, 2016
Strong drama led by a strong performance from Forest Whitaker.
June 8, 2016
This movie has 87% meanwhile Zootopia has 98%.
Get yourself together.
May 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker's powerhouse performance as real-life dictator Idi Amin greatly elevates this Hollywood fictionalization of a period of massacre and corruption in Uganda.
½ April 11, 2016
Not what I want expecting. Absolutely brilliant. Forest Whittaker was excellent.
March 30, 2016
2016-03-30 very well done, but kind of horrifying.
March 27, 2016
Whitaker delivers a fantastic performance in this fictional tale based on real life people. Dramatic script guides the cast through a hard edged story.
March 18, 2016
An intense movie that shows how a dictatorship is developed nearly in silence also with the help of some inconscious people. The most remarkable thing is surely the impressive performance of Forest Whitaker, capable of perfectly showing a great set of emotions, changing them every 2 minutes. Truly amazing.
½ March 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker delivers a convincing performance as the ruthless Ugandan dictator, while along with McAvoy, they manage to bring about the tension between the two characters.
½ February 24, 2016
With an absolutely spectacular performance from Forest Whitaker and the well-crafted story structure, The Last King of Scotland is an above average political drama containing intrigue and tense moments, even when the film itself is mixed with fiction.
February 22, 2016
A great suspense based on a true events around Idi Amin's regime. The unlikely Scottish medical advisor who gets too close to the dictator and oversteps his boundaries. To the squeemish, the ending is very gross and graphic. The scene defines the film. When people recollect the movie, they think of these last scenes. Perhaps the protagonist should have selected his initial choice of Canada, rather than spinning the globe a second time, to selct Uganda.
February 18, 2016
The film is extraordinary and was directed masterfully by Kevin MacDonald. But above all to the absolute performance of the great Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy who is also super .. This incredible and true story of this crazy dictator.