The Last King of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last King of Scotland Reviews

½ July 23, 2016
Equally great performance between James McAvoy and Forest Whitaker.
July 19, 2016
Well-acted but far too violent and predictable for me to enjoy.
July 14, 2016
I hoped a lot of this movie... Donīt misunderstand me this is a great movie, but sometimes I felt they were some scenes that were irrelevant in the course of the film as well as some characters. I really hated Forest Whitaker performing Idi Amin, I mean, it was so believable that I really felt I saw Idi Amin instead of Forest Whitaker and honestly I think James McAvoy has done better in other movies, it was quite good but not astonishing as I would expect in the mix with Whitaker. Good movie but didn't catch me at all.
½ June 23, 2016
Flawless performances, taut thrills, and many frightening moments.
June 20, 2016
Strong drama led by a strong performance from Forest Whitaker.
June 8, 2016
This movie has 87% meanwhile Zootopia has 98%.
Get yourself together.
May 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker's powerhouse performance as real-life dictator Idi Amin greatly elevates this Hollywood fictionalization of a period of massacre and corruption in Uganda.
½ April 11, 2016
Not what I want expecting. Absolutely brilliant. Forest Whittaker was excellent.
March 30, 2016
2016-03-30 very well done, but kind of horrifying.
March 27, 2016
Whitaker delivers a fantastic performance in this fictional tale based on real life people. Dramatic script guides the cast through a hard edged story.
March 18, 2016
An intense movie that shows how a dictatorship is developed nearly in silence also with the help of some inconscious people. The most remarkable thing is surely the impressive performance of Forest Whitaker, capable of perfectly showing a great set of emotions, changing them every 2 minutes. Truly amazing.
½ March 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker delivers a convincing performance as the ruthless Ugandan dictator, while along with McAvoy, they manage to bring about the tension between the two characters.
½ February 24, 2016
With an absolutely spectacular performance from Forest Whitaker and the well-crafted story structure, The Last King of Scotland is an above average political drama containing intrigue and tense moments, even when the film itself is mixed with fiction.
February 22, 2016
A great suspense based on a true events around Idi Amin's regime. The unlikely Scottish medical advisor who gets too close to the dictator and oversteps his boundaries. To the squeemish, the ending is very gross and graphic. The scene defines the film. When people recollect the movie, they think of these last scenes. Perhaps the protagonist should have selected his initial choice of Canada, rather than spinning the globe a second time, to selct Uganda.
February 18, 2016
The film is extraordinary and was directed masterfully by Kevin MacDonald. But above all to the absolute performance of the great Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy who is also super .. This incredible and true story of this crazy dictator.
February 9, 2016
What an amazing movie. Great acting.
½ January 30, 2016
I did not expect this to turn so grim ð???
January 24, 2016
Really great performances from Forest Whitaker and James MacAvoy.
½ January 17, 2016
This was a much more interesting film than I had anticipated. Before all the X-MEN fame and notoriety, James McAvoy was handed a lead role in this East African political docudrama alongside Forest Whitaker; who took home a well deserved Oscar and Golden Globe trophy for best actor. A far step from the usual type of movie that I would normally be interested in, but still a much more enthralling feature than one wouldn't expect from a limited biographical release. The promotional designs and trailers have boring written all over them, but a film with subject content like this, is difficult to advertise as entertaining. For those who never bothered to look into the film's plot (like myself), this is about a young Scottish doctor that undeliberately becomes best buddies with the tyrannical president of a third world East African county. He gets into a life of fortune and glory, which slowly turns into captivity, betrayal, and atrocities.
January 8, 2016
Drama about a Scottish doctor who becomes the unlikely confidante of Idi Amin. Quite effective script and acting. Highly believable performances by Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy. Difficult to watch at times, due to subject material!