The Last King of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last King of Scotland Reviews

February 22, 2016
A great suspense based on a true events around Idi Amin's regime. The unlikely Scottish medical advisor who gets too close to the dictator and oversteps his boundaries. To the squeemish, the ending is very gross and graphic. The scene defines the film. When people recollect the movie, they think of these last scenes. Perhaps the protagonist should have selected his initial choice of Canada, rather than spinning the globe a second time, to selct Uganda.
February 18, 2016
The film is extraordinary and was directed masterfully by Kevin MacDonald. But above all to the absolute performance of the great Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy who is also super .. This incredible and true story of this crazy dictator.
February 9, 2016
What an amazing movie. Great acting.
½ January 30, 2016
I did not expect this to turn so grim ???
January 24, 2016
Really great performances from Forest Whitaker and James MacAvoy.
½ January 17, 2016
This was a much more interesting film than I had anticipated. Before all the X-MEN fame and notoriety, James McAvoy was handed a lead role in this East African political docudrama alongside Forest Whitaker; who took home a well deserved Oscar and Golden Globe trophy for best actor. A far step from the usual type of movie that I would normally be interested in, but still a much more enthralling feature than one wouldn't expect from a limited biographical release. The promotional designs and trailers have boring written all over them, but a film with subject content like this, is difficult to advertise as entertaining. For those who never bothered to look into the film's plot (like myself), this is about a young Scottish doctor that undeliberately becomes best buddies with the tyrannical president of a third world East African county. He gets into a life of fortune and glory, which slowly turns into captivity, betrayal, and atrocities.
January 8, 2016
Drama about a Scottish doctor who becomes the unlikely confidante of Idi Amin. Quite effective script and acting. Highly believable performances by Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy. Difficult to watch at times, due to subject material!
January 7, 2016
Disturbing film helps you recognize what it's like to deal with a exotic but dangerous country like Uganda (at the time). Very wild film that easily takes you away from what ever you were doing previously.
½ December 3, 2015
Supported in an almost perfect characterization and an outstanding performance from Forest Whitaker, this film shows us the dark years that Uganda suffered under the dictatorship of Idi Amin Dada
½ November 17, 2015
I was watching this on TV and I figured it would be interesting. My eyes were closing and I was sure I'd fall asleep. Idi Amin--I mean--Forest Whitaker marches on stage for his first scene and it was, like, whoa, this dude is incredible. Every scene, every shot, every frame that involves Idi Amin is jaw-dropping; there's a sense of "yeah, he seems al'ight.....but I'm staying 50 yards away from the man." Whitaker captures the Ugandan dictator's erratic behavior so well that it seems natural. That's a very tricky thing to do, acting wise, to have to shift gears like that without being over-the-top and it pays off. Idi comes off as a charming, caring people's man one second and in the next he's ordering someone's death. It feels more like a documentary than a fictional story but I really do gotta shower Mr. Forest with praise because his performance kept me wide awake--he really did deserve that Best Actor award. I wouldn't rewatch "The Last King of Scotland" for anything else but for the portrayal of Idi Amin.
½ October 21, 2015
Forest Whitaker's performance is a real show-stopper.
½ October 10, 2015
91%
Watched this on 10/10/15
Tightly directed by Kevin Macdonald, this haunting fictionalized biopic has an award winning performance from Forest Whitaker. The film keeps on building tension and it just never stops until it reaches the end. Moreover, it does not have the boring nature of many political thrillers.
½ September 29, 2015
What a powerhouse performance by Whitaker that everything else is moot....very well done moot but moot never the less.
½ September 21, 2015
?Entertaining Spy Thriller
September 20, 2015
A topic close of the heart of every Indian who lived in Africa, a tale of greed and wanting, a tale of melancholy and infamouness at the very benign, The last king tales a tale of power and of love which is deeply entrancing to say the least.
September 15, 2015
Forest Whitaker's performance is one that actors and film buffs will be talking about for all time, but the fact that they have to have a Magical Mystical Caucasian (and an idiotic, unsympathetic one at that) kind of hinders the film. I don't need a fictional avatar to see the story. I want the story itself, as it really was, without the various myths shown in this film. Other than that, a very good film and by far Forest Whitaker's greatest performance.
½ August 29, 2015
Despite highly fictionalized, it's a vivid portrait of Idi Amin for layman like me.
½ August 28, 2015
An amazing story which depicts Amin's changing nature but focuses more so on the young Scottish doctor and how he gets tangled in the web. The final section is quite intense. 1001
August 16, 2015
The plot is predictable of course and the relationships that bloomed between Nicholas and Abidi; and his wife happened kinda fast. But other than that, the acting was superb, especially from Whitaker, and there were some very intense scenes between Whitaker and MacAvoy.