The Last King of Scotland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last King of Scotland Reviews

March 30, 2016
2016-03-30 very well done, but kind of horrifying.
March 27, 2016
Whitaker delivers a fantastic performance in this fictional tale based on real life people. Dramatic script guides the cast through a hard edged story.
March 18, 2016
An intense movie that shows how a dictatorship is developed nearly in silence also with the help of some inconscious people. The most remarkable thing is surely the impressive performance of Forest Whitaker, capable of perfectly showing a great set of emotions, changing them every 2 minutes. Truly amazing.
½ March 12, 2016
Forest Whitaker delivers a convincing performance as the ruthless Ugandan dictator, while along with McAvoy, they manage to bring about the tension between the two characters.
½ February 24, 2016
With an absolutely spectacular performance from Forest Whitaker and the well-crafted story structure, The Last King of Scotland is an above average political drama containing intrigue and tense moments, even when the film itself is mixed with fiction.
February 22, 2016
A great suspense based on a true events around Idi Amin's regime. The unlikely Scottish medical advisor who gets too close to the dictator and oversteps his boundaries. To the squeemish, the ending is very gross and graphic. The scene defines the film. When people recollect the movie, they think of these last scenes. Perhaps the protagonist should have selected his initial choice of Canada, rather than spinning the globe a second time, to selct Uganda.
February 18, 2016
The film is extraordinary and was directed masterfully by Kevin MacDonald. But above all to the absolute performance of the great Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy who is also super .. This incredible and true story of this crazy dictator.
February 9, 2016
What an amazing movie. Great acting.
½ January 30, 2016
I did not expect this to turn so grim ???
January 24, 2016
Really great performances from Forest Whitaker and James MacAvoy.
½ January 17, 2016
This was a much more interesting film than I had anticipated. Before all the X-MEN fame and notoriety, James McAvoy was handed a lead role in this East African political docudrama alongside Forest Whitaker; who took home a well deserved Oscar and Golden Globe trophy for best actor. A far step from the usual type of movie that I would normally be interested in, but still a much more enthralling feature than one wouldn't expect from a limited biographical release. The promotional designs and trailers have boring written all over them, but a film with subject content like this, is difficult to advertise as entertaining. For those who never bothered to look into the film's plot (like myself), this is about a young Scottish doctor that undeliberately becomes best buddies with the tyrannical president of a third world East African county. He gets into a life of fortune and glory, which slowly turns into captivity, betrayal, and atrocities.
January 8, 2016
Drama about a Scottish doctor who becomes the unlikely confidante of Idi Amin. Quite effective script and acting. Highly believable performances by Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy. Difficult to watch at times, due to subject material!
January 7, 2016
Disturbing film helps you recognize what it's like to deal with a exotic but dangerous country like Uganda (at the time). Very wild film that easily takes you away from what ever you were doing previously.
½ December 3, 2015
Supported in an almost perfect characterization and an outstanding performance from Forest Whitaker, this film shows us the dark years that Uganda suffered under the dictatorship of Idi Amin Dada
½ November 17, 2015
I was watching this on TV and I figured it would be interesting. My eyes were closing and I was sure I'd fall asleep. Idi Amin--I mean--Forest Whitaker marches on stage for his first scene and it was, like, whoa, this dude is incredible. Every scene, every shot, every frame that involves Idi Amin is jaw-dropping; there's a sense of "yeah, he seems al'ight.....but I'm staying 50 yards away from the man." Whitaker captures the Ugandan dictator's erratic behavior so well that it seems natural. That's a very tricky thing to do, acting wise, to have to shift gears like that without being over-the-top and it pays off. Idi comes off as a charming, caring people's man one second and in the next he's ordering someone's death. It feels more like a documentary than a fictional story but I really do gotta shower Mr. Forest with praise because his performance kept me wide awake--he really did deserve that Best Actor award. I wouldn't rewatch "The Last King of Scotland" for anything else but for the portrayal of Idi Amin.
½ October 21, 2015
Forest Whitaker's performance is a real show-stopper.
½ October 10, 2015
91%
Watched this on 10/10/15
Tightly directed by Kevin Macdonald, this haunting fictionalized biopic has an award winning performance from Forest Whitaker. The film keeps on building tension and it just never stops until it reaches the end. Moreover, it does not have the boring nature of many political thrillers.
½ September 29, 2015
What a powerhouse performance by Whitaker that everything else is moot....very well done moot but moot never the less.
½ September 21, 2015