The Last King of Scotland Reviews

• Jun 25, 2020

I didn't like the fictional approach to the story but Whitaker is as good as advertised.

• Jun 08, 2020

A powerful performance builds tension Forest he commanded the screen with his performance in this political Drama and the tension builds from the second act onwards turns into a Thriller This movie is worth watch for the performance of Forest.

• Mar 20, 2020

Doctor gets tangled in Amin's regime in Uganda in the 70s. True story of inhumanity and the lure of wealth and fame even in different cultures

• Mar 18, 2020

One of the best biographical movies of all time. Both Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy gave amazing and powerful perfomances. It is definitely one of the best movies I've seen in years.

• Dec 09, 2019

Rotten? Forest won the Academy Award for his portrayal of Idi Amin. Great Acting.

• Nov 04, 2019

It's not the best biographical film I've seen. But for what it is. Its fair. Forest Whitaker does a splendid job as Idi Amin. That is the highlight performance. The other performances are fine but nobody else really stands out. To be honest I'm not a fan of James McAvoy. But for what this film is, it seems somewhat historically accurate as far as I can tell. I would give it a thumbs up. But if you miss this one. You're not missing much. Amin: "They take you to a tree and hang you by your skin. Each time you scream the evil comes out of you. Sometimes, it can take three days for your evil to be spent. Pull him up."

• Sep 09, 2019

The Last King of Scotland is a chilling drama that has your heart pounding up until the very end. James McAvoy is charming and phenomenal in this role and when paired with Forest Whitaker it makes for a gripping movie. The perfectly-paced progression of this movie, the romance subplot, and wonderful performances make for a great use of two hours!

• Jul 14, 2019

Typically movies like take such an artsy style that makes me roll my eyes. But not this film. James McAvoy and Forest Whitaker took this movie serious. They did a great job a bringing this true life story to the big screen.

• Feb 26, 2019

great film & spine chilling perfomance by forest whitaker. this film took me aback into those days where ugadan dictator idi amin terror rule was awake. my rating 4.5/5

• Jan 27, 2019

Despite the title(which to be fair has a meaning that relates to the ongoing of this film) this is about the infamous Ugandan ruler Idi Amin- who has, I must add, has been portrayed stupendously by Forrest Whitaker(who won an Oscar for this). The Last King of Scotland explores the turmoil and troubles surrounding the beginning of one of the country's darkest recent periods: the Idi Amin regime, which lasted from 1971 through 1979 and resulted in thousands upon thousands of deaths. (The exact number is unknown, but is estimated to be between 80,000 and 500,000.) Based on actual events, the movie takes us into Amin's inner circle through the eyes of an outsider who is initially charmed by the charismatic leader until Amin's true nature begins to bubble to the surface. The Last King of Scotland does not refrain from showing the brutality of what Amin's reign becomes. The film contains its share of gruesome images, including a torture scene that depicts in unflinching detail what happens to someone who betrays Amin.