The Last Mogul (Life and Times of Lew Wasserman) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Mogul (Life and Times of Lew Wasserman) Reviews

½ July 27, 2011
pretty dry through most of it, but it has enough historical nuggets and some not-always-kind words about Wasserman that keeps it interesting, mostly for film-buffs like myself.
February 7, 2010
One of the best documentaries out there on the inner workings of Hollywood. Any film lover should see what really goes on behind the scenes and this movie does exactly that. The book this film is based on is also well worth reading as well.
October 17, 2007
It presents interesting information about Lew Wasserman, MCA, Hollywood and power forces in the US but don't cancel any plans just to watch this documentery.
½ April 26, 2016
At one point he was the most powerful person in Hollywood and he had a tremendous impact on the Film & Television industry. The film was a bit dry for me, but still very much worthwhile to see the behind the scenes workings of Hollywood in the Golden Era. Recommend for film lovers for sure.
½ April 7, 2016
Interesting if pedestrian look at someone who was so powerful yet almost unknown outside of Hollywood. They kept tip toeing around mob connections and anything shady but if you watched closely you could see that the guy was a pretty epic crook.
July 2, 2014
Great documentary that informs and pays tribute to a humble but very powerful man.
½ July 27, 2011
March 22, 2011
Terrible production values and lousy storytelling almost derail the life and times of a really interesting man. You'll want to learn more about his behind the scenes wheeling and dealing.
September 9, 2010
A real incredible journey through the beginnings of Hollywood, including Mafia involvement and enough shady deals to make Tyson blush. Wasserman was like a superhero turned washout, but things wouldn't have been the same if it were not for those thick black glasses and icy stare.
February 7, 2010
January 6, 2010
This was an interesting little doc about Lew Wasserman that we watched in our Producing class. I had heard the name previously, but knew very little about the guy. I liked how it paints a nice picture of upscale Hollywood and how one guy who started with nothing completely changed the way Hollywood does business. Although he does it in a completely different way than those like me would hope to aspire to, it was still somewhat inspirational, though at one point the fame and glory fades and Lew's story ends on a down note, his journey was still incredible to follow.
February 2, 2009
Second time around--this time not half-heard on an Air Canada flight.
May 27, 2008
Kinda stumbled into this movie. It was interesting to learn more about the history of Hollywood, Lew Wasserman to be exact. but unless you are interested, this movie will bore you, as it is not very well done.
½ December 30, 2007
Okay, okay--this wasn't really a "good" documentary, but I was absolutely fascinated. I fully and openly acknowledge that you'd probably have to share my neurotic and obsessive love of the intricacies of the history of Hollywood to enjoy this as much as I did.
December 13, 2007
Great documentary on Lew Wasserman and the rise and fall and rise of Universal studios.
October 17, 2007
December 9, 2006
I wonder what this is about, i think ill see it!
½ September 9, 2006
Great documentary on Lew Wasserman and MCA. Anybody that wants to know what happend behind the scenes in Hollywood for 60 years should see this.
February 13, 2006
sound a bit wierd gay evan