The Last of Sheila - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last of Sheila Reviews

April 4, 2010
Sondheim really is for Broadway. Not that this film is a bad mystery film. It's interesting, but the plot is not edgy and unexpected enough, unlike Sondheim's musicals.
February 19, 2010
Ponderous, dull, and slow-moving: three things any murder mystery worth its salt is not. MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS sizzled to great benefit from its taking place on a moving train, surely conducive to suspense, and the underrated FRENZY saw Hitchcock at his most diabolical. THE LAST OF SHEILA, a top-notch mystery movie and a Rubik's cube of a film, deserves a spot in those rankings.

Murder mystery on ice, served with a dash of cold blood and a dazzling wit: that, without spoiling anything, is THE LAST OF SHEILA's allure. And thanks are principally in order, unlikely as it might sound, to a little Broadway and Hollywood schizophrenia. Screen legend Anthony Perkins (PSYCHO) and composer Stephen Sondheim (SWEENEY TODD), a true odd couple writing team, take up the pen and ink for a screenplay that's chock-fill of complexity, smarts, and witticisms. It's a sturdy, leak-proof ship for a talented ensemble cast to sail on.

And while the screenplay, creative as it is, is far from the first to balance humor and intrigue, it's a fine peg to hang your hat on in that department. Few mystery/suspense films, as masters like Hitchcock realized early on, can work well without light moments, chances for audiences to take a collective breather before being put on tenterhooks by the plot's twists and turns. Not only do Perkins and Sondheim realize this, they walk the tightrope between the genres the best way-- in style. The duo, who would never team up in writing a film again, used their mystery fanboy interests to good use, netting an Edgar award in the process.

As flesh and blood to the screenplay's pulp and paper, the veteran cast of THE LAST OF SHEILA does a more valuable service than Hitchcock, with his 'cattle,' would perhaps admit to. Acting in the film is superb, a veritable treat. The cast is, alphabetically: Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon, James Coburn, Joan Hackett, James Mason, Ian McShane, and Racquel Welch, a convincing ensemble of 70's Hollywood A-listers.

Benjamin, who in a touch of deja vu also appears in WESTWORLD, masterfully plays Tom, a dapper everyman who's quick mind is well-suited for the evening games. Dyan Cannon is Christine, a rich playgirl with an infectious laugh, in a role that seems not too far from reality. James Coburn, in the best performance I've seen him in, is the low-level sadist Clinton, a wealthy producer whose taste for "games" gets us in trouble in the first place. Joan Hackett plays Tom's wife, Lee, an earnest, sweet natured woman who looks patently out of place among the other two bombshells. James Mason, whose affected pedophilia earned him fame in films like LOLITA, here is in classic shape as Philip. Ian McShane plays Ian, a British expatriot and Hollywood manager with anger issues, whose girlfriend is Racquel Welch, who puts her limited acting chops to best possible use as Alice.

Clinton is a wealthy producer who enjoys games, or rather, humiliation-- and it's clear he wants a little of both when he invites his wealthy socialite frenemies for a week on his sleek yacht. Each player is assigned a card with a dirty character attribute, like "you are a shoplifter" or "you are an alchoholic," and it's evident early on that the cards have a real world bearing of their own, and that the "Sheila Green Memorial Gossip Game" has a sinister edge. The alleged purpose of the week is to shoot a movie about Clinton's late wife, Sheila, who was killed by a hit-and-run driver he has reason to believe may be among his "friends." As the suspense piles up, so do the bodies.

Herbert Ross (of STEEL MAGNOLIAS and PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM fame) deserves to be remembered for this one, a riveting 70's whodunit that is by far the best of its era. His direction boasts loads of flourishes like interesting camera angles, spooky cutscenes in which anything might happen, and a few particularly well crafted shots. His filmography reveals a solid cadre of films, mostly commendable 70's flicks that have both gone and been forgotten. He was nominated for a few films in his heyday, but never quite got the recognition he deserves. His cinematographer, Gerry Turpin (whose camerawork was also used in 1960's PEEPING TOM) gives us that great dark Technicolor feel, best seen in the castle scene. Ross can thank his editor, too, for adding short cuts and timely pacing into the mix.

Billy Goldenberg's atmospheric score sets the tone from the very beginning, to haunting effect. In sound it resembles many of the horror movies made in the 70's, a shiver-inducing score whose fright-might enhances many a scene's power. It's minimally used throughout the film, used sparingly but wisely to accent certain parts. Ross was smart enough to know when he didn't need it, though, and the film is quiet to good effect in much of the latter part of the film. When Bette Midler's "Friends" plays during the closing credits, it's both a shock and worth a hearty laugh, after all the back-stabbing that has gone on.

Filmed in the south of France, THE LAST OF SHEILA has a great romantic feel that helps to transcend the one set, mystery theatre feel of so many films in its genre. As a footnote, the beautiful location adds a disparity between the lush paradise outside and the in-fighting going on within the yacht.

THE LAST OF SHEILA is not only the last hurrah of the archetypal 70's mystery thrillers, which would be parodied for their predictability in films like MURDER BY DEATH, it's arguably the genre's shining moment. In a film that feels like a dash of PSYCHO combined with a touch of comedy, THE LAST OF SHEILA makes a film entirely one of a kind: a riddle of a film that, so rare to Hollywood nowadays, is not scared to make the viewer think. Next time you have a craving for some murder and mayhem, try this little known classic.
mirabella1996
January 1, 2010
One of my favourite films from my childhood.
This racy little mystery-thriller boasts a stellar cast, superior writing, & ingenious plotting. Kind of like a modern day Agatha Christie.
It will keep you guessing (& laughing) right up to the final frame.
December 17, 2009
Who done it? What a great cat and mouse game this movie is. Its all a game to find out who the killer is. Dyan Cannon is one of my favorites too, so it cant be all that bad. The movie is set in Mediterranean locals.
November 24, 2009
Interesting movie, love the locales, and I love Dyan Cannon.
½ October 6, 2009
Dated but funny.....
August 16, 2009
This forgotten 70's film is an intricately scripted, witty, urbane, crackerjack brainteasing jigsaw puzzle that wraps you up in itself, and absorbs you at the very time you're being impressed by its cleverness.
July 13, 2009
One of my all time favorites, I want it on DVD bad! Watching it in Pan-scan on regular tv is torture, but i watch anyway because its so damn good.
½ November 29, 2008
This is a fantastic revisionist whodunnit. The casting is pretty near perfect (except for Welch, who sorta fits the type, anyway). The overly complicated plot is excusable since the movie is aware of it. I question a couple of shots but otherwise, it's great. I really had no idea until the end. Funny how this movie predates "Scream" by about twenty years and yet everyone went crazy over that thing when it did the same thing for a different genre. Oh yeah, it's also hilarious.
½ October 16, 2008
If you love mysteries, how could you not love this movie. It's the 70's spin on Hollywood era plus exotic locale and the Christie and Conan Doyle spin. Great performances by all and a terrific subversive undertones. A great movie to watch over and over again.

I am really ashamed that I didn't find out about this movie until about a year ago and that I left it in my Netflix queue for so long. I watched it 2 times in a row and then the commentary the next day.
October 13, 2008
Great whodunit mindfuck. Just kinky enough in places to remind you that this was made in the 70s, when the could get away with that in a PG flick.
August 23, 2008
Fantastically good fun and it repays watching again and again as you'll keep spotting things you missed.
August 4, 2008
Intriguing mystery - and a stroll through fashion history!
½ August 2, 2008
Very cool movie. Anthony Perkins aka Norman Bates of Psycho, co-wrote the script with Stephen Sondheim. Great all star cast. Complex whodunit with a couple twists thrown in, just a great deal of fun. My only criticisms would be the somewhat shallow characters are more like chess pieces being moved around a board than real people and the end gets a tad convoluted. I love the "I didn't have any gloves" line, hilarious. And the final scene with him just sitting there in utter defeat, classic. I noticed the costume design was credited to a Joel Schumacher. Yep, that Joel Schumacher, director of crap movies extraordinaire.
July 30, 2008
James Coburn and Dyan Cannon both seemed to be having a lot of fun here. Clever, but it felt a little unsatisfying to me for reasons I still can't really pinpoint.
July 23, 2008
For me, the perfect whodunnit. And also the perfect "Hollywood/show biz is hell" black comedy. And the perfect early seventies large ensemble.

I have seen this movie, like a lot in my top ten, probably once a year since I was 8 or 9. It works every time, although when I was that young, it probably worked more as a big Hollywood movie, like "The Poseiden Adventure" or "The Towering Inferno".

It is creepy, clever and will stick with you for weeks after you see it, if only to try to figure out all of the elaborate puzzles in the film or remember all of the cutting lines.

I cannot recommend this movie enough.
½ July 19, 2008
This masterminded murder mystery written by Anthony Perkins (Yes, that Anthony Perkins) and Stephen Sondheim (Yes, THAT Sondheim) is filled with witty dialogue, memorable characters, and a near-perfect plotline. If you're like me, you may figure out who the murderer is long before you figure out WHY the murderer is, but even then, there are so many details you'll be left to discover your head will be absolutely spinning and your heart pounding by the end. Unfortunately, Ross's direction isn't always great and the sound design is often shoddy enough to necessitate turning on the subtitles. But this smart and edgy film, still plays well and is INCREDIBLY entertaining.
July 14, 2008
Wow, written by Tony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim. This is not a good murder mystery but it makes up for it with some extremely bizarre characters.
½ July 14, 2008
Co-written by Stephen Sondheim and fellow game maven Tony Perkins. For starters, you've got a bunch of early 70s movie stars with body shirts and long sideburns gathered together on James Coburn's yacht. He's a notorious practical joker and insists his guests play a mystery game where each has been assigned a crime for the others to discover. Each night a series of clues is planted in the local port and the team must solve the identity of the criminal-of-the-day. However, things get out of hand and soon there's a real crime to solve.
½ July 13, 2008
I was turned on to this movie in college by a friend and I think it's very clever and well written by Stephen Sondheim (!) and Anthony Perkins.
Dyan Cannon is an absolute hoot in this!
I love making friends watch it because nobody knows this movie.