Last of the Red Hot Lovers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Last of the Red Hot Lovers Reviews

March 22, 2012
I LOVED THIS MOVIE, those who didnt', didn't get it. OR have no boundries, so they Wouldn't appreciate it. LMAO Bravo
July 2, 2011
The movie was ... trying to be red hot. But not. Still, a young Alan Arkin was mildly amusing. He's still exactly the same dude/character.
½ November 27, 2010
This movie, written by Neil Simon, is obviously adapted from a stage play. Not much is changed for this film version and that helps and hurts it. Most of the movie, which is nearly all dialogue as opposed to action, takes place in one room. This does allow for wonderful character development but also sometimes brought on a feeling of "Get on with it!" The cast is fantastic. Alan Arkin is perfect as the bored middle-class restauranteur who haplessly searches for the right woman to have an affair with. You can still think adultery is wrong and feel bad for Arkin's character because he plays up frustrated ennui so well. Sally Kellerman, Renee Taylor and Paula Prentiss play the women he meets, usually by chance. Each is pretty much a stereotype but a fully fleshed-out one so you believe them as people. Quirky is a good word to describe everybody in this movie. Although the film is a comedy, at its core it is an examination of how people deal with disappointment and stagnation in their lives. I think comedy often does a better job of showing the nature of the human experience than straight-up drama does.
September 11, 2010
This was a Neil Simon play I wasn't crazy about even when I first read it. Its dialogue is not as witty as others, and its plot seems a little shaky, especially at the end. However, Alan Arkin plays the part very well and makes it much more enjoyable a watch than it was a read. I'd never call it one of Simon's best, but it's not a bad watch.
June 20, 2008
If you like Neil Simon, Alan Arkin and films that take place mostly in one room like the plays that inspired them, you'll enjoy this.

Cinematically, I hear all the time how these types of films are terrible because they look like a play that was filmed--I don't have a problem with that. If it had never been filmed, I'd never have seen it and been denyed an enjoyable performance by Arkin.