The Last Picture Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Picture Show Reviews

October 2, 2014
I did not like this movie at all. There really wasn't a complete plot to this film and I felt the nudity was not necessary!!!!
August 30, 2014
An excellent, even paced film that delves deep into the happenings, daily life, and fabric of a small town.
August 29, 2014
"The Last Picture Show is everything. It is a coming of age story, a melancholy meditation on love, a period piece, a reckoning with the past, and above all, a character driven film classic.
July 2, 2014
Beautifully shot in black and white, this is a good movie with a great ensemble most notably Jeff Bridges, Timothy Bottoms, and Cybill Shepherd.
May 30, 2014
The performances were great, its just too bad I wasn't invested.
April 18, 2014
A classic film about the life in small towns like Wichita Falls. Great performances.
February 8, 2014
The film's period and setting are terrific featuring impressive performances but a little bit sad themes.
February 5, 2014
Bleak but brilliant. Small town life made to show how desperate it can make everybody. Amazing film.
February 3, 2014
So many live in purgatory. Every one a victim of time and place. Utterly heartbreaking. A time machine, A hypnotic experience, A masterpiece.
½ January 26, 2014
One of the best (and one of my personal favorite) slice-of-life tales. Through perfect use of subtlety, this movie captures the sense of aimlessness felt from locales that don't have any direction or opportunity with a wide range of characters clearly illustrating everything. Grim, gritty, and sad, this movie is expertly avoids melodrama, actively searching for hope in a place that offers none.
December 27, 2013
Film art doesn't and can't get more potent that it does here.
December 27, 2013
The coming-of-age tale about a small fading town inhabited by fading characters is a tragic, poignant film that is marvelously evocative in its atmosphere, its '50s period detail, and its remarkable performances.
December 21, 2013
Great movie. Love this movie.
December 18, 2013
This movie seems to want to make you feel sad for what's lost, but the vitality that throbs through it transcends this. Bogdanovich knew how to cast actors and highlight character turns. There are great actors like Ben Johnson, Timothy Bottoms and Ellen Burstyn. Cybill Shepard owns the screen as the manipulative temptress. This movie paved the way for some of the great realistic movies of the 70s (the golden, pre Star Wars era). Last Picture Show is a must see for any enthusiastic movie fan.
½ December 17, 2013
a movie about pool(s).
December 13, 2013
Really liked this one. Kept my attention, unique storytelling style, and oh Cybill Shepherd.
November 26, 2013
A coming of age saga set in a small town, rural environment that has rightfully earned its title as an American classic. The story tells of three friends growing up in a small Texas town who all fear the monotony of adulthood and an eternally boring life in a dull, windswept town.The story emphasizes the unnecessary changes that occur as we grow into adulthood, and the titular picture show's closing is a prime example of that. Overall, a quality film that is not talked about as much as it should be. Bridges, Bottoms, Leachman, and Shepherd all give impeccable performances. Last Picture Show is a must-see for people of all ages.
November 20, 2013
I'm obviously reviewing all the "lasts". The Last Picture Show is a tremendous look at nostalgia and how it is lost due to inevitable rot and change in general. How do we hang on to what we have left when time moves so quickly?
November 10, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 2, 2013
manages to be both fresh and old-no easy feat