The Last Remake of Beau Geste - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Remake of Beau Geste Reviews

December 22, 2013
I thoroughly enjoy this film & found it to be a hilarious surprise--Marty Feldman Cracks Me Up!!
½ March 24, 2013
Mel Brooks, this is not, but Feldman's parody of classic desert epics & Hollywood adventures certainly has its moments, thanks to its game cast, including a delightfully campy Ustinov and York relishing his 'blonde, do-no-wrong hero' role with extreme glee, a few amusing gags, such as a Keaton/Chaplin-style prison escape sequence & the 'Screw Harder' scene, and Morris' bombastic score, which includes a very catchy, though of course raunchy, theme song that will get stuck in your head.
November 30, 2012

"Metals are like hemroids, after awhile every ashole gets one."-Beau Geste (Micheal York)

Top notch screw ball comedy that I preffer, over, half of Brook's body of work.

RIP Marty Feldman
November 29, 2012
This movie was much funnier the first time I saw it way back when. Sight gags galore.
October 4, 2012
This movie wasn't fantastic, but I really enjoyed it, it's a lot of fun. The cast is filled with fun actors who give hilarious performances. The story is very spoof oriented, but it doesn't get in the way too much. If you're looking for a hilarious movie to watch late at night, I highly recommend this.
½ May 9, 2012
Why can't they make more comedy like this? Very witty indeed.
May 9, 2011
Fun zany comedy from writer-director-star Marty Feldman. It's pretty goofy stuff, but having grown up on the comedies of Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder, this follows that same vibe. A likable cast and some inspired clever moments, a minor cult classic.
February 13, 2011
Marty Feldman and Micheal York as identical twins!
I saw this when I was young and thought it was hilarious...Just seen it again on DVD and I can see why I loved so much.
I can also see why critics didn't like it but it does have some very clever moments in it.
Marty Feldman pays tribute to his hero Buster Keaton in some inspired scenes.
Probably Marty Feldman's best film
½ April 21, 2010
After making it big in Hollywood with Young Frankenstein (1974) and Silent Movie (1976), Marty Feldman was given a contract by Universal Pictures to make the films of his choice, Marty also wanted to write and direct them too. This was his first one, which had a bit of trouble when it came to editing, but it's actually a much funnier film than alot of people give it credit for. This is a comedy take on the book Beau Geste by Percival Christopher Wren. It has identical twins Beau Geste (Michael York) and Digby Geste (Feldman) joining the French foreign legion, Beau had run off with a priceless jewel, and Digby went to jail for it. But, their new adoptive mother Flavia Geste (Ann-Margret) helps Digby escape. Meanwhile, in the French foreign legion in North Africa, Beau is being trained under the scrutiny of the one-legged Col. Markov (Peter Ustinov), who soon get's the hots for Flavia. This is a very silly film, but it is laugh out loud funny, with some brilliant jokes, (Mel Brooks would have killed for alot of these, so would have the Carry On team), but Feldman was a brilliant comic talent, and a contender for a brilliant physical comedian too, (he did all his own stunts.) Oh, and this has a brilliant supporting cast including Henry Gibson, Roy Kinnear, James Earl Jones, Spike Milligan, Trevor Howard, Terry-Thomas, Burt Kwouk, Stephen Lewis and Irene Handl!! :D
½ January 6, 2010
One of the funniest movies I ever saw
½ November 19, 2009
You have to see this one...
July 29, 2009
Marty Feldman is a good underdog. Interspersed scenes with Gary Cooper were funny. The details have become a foggy over the years, I admit, but I do remember it being quirky enough to be likable.
½ March 11, 2009
A great parody of the Beau Geste story.
½ December 31, 2008
I do like Marty Feldman.
½ December 12, 2008
Igor (EYE-gor) directs and acts. FUNNY
March 8, 2008
Often funny, sometimes falls short, but I love all the actors.
February 26, 2008
Michael York and Marty Feldman as "identical twins" This is a hilarious movie.
½ February 13, 2008
Funny for the most part but not really Marty Feldman's shining moment. Ann-Margret always looks good
February 7, 2008
i fricken love this movie! marty feldman is so sweet
December 26, 2007
Possibly one of the most underrated comedies ever made. Hilarious with an all-star cast. I laughed all the way through.