The Last Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Samurai Reviews

½ September 4, 2016
As you all know I love Tom Cruise so this review is biased. But I cannot see another white actor play this part any better. Also very rewatchable.
August 20, 2016
One of Tom Cruises best dramatic roles outside of 'Born on the 4th of July'
½ August 15, 2016
Would be a good movie if it didn't embody the problematic mighty whitey trope (not to mention a bunch of other problematic choices).
August 4, 2016
Beautiful art direction, sets, and costumes and a glorious performance from Ken Watanabe.
½ July 31, 2016
Great locales. Excellent photography. Mediocre direction. Cliched scenes.
Why does hollywood persist with this "White Man's Burden" movies?
A nice one time watch.
July 22, 2016
****
I found 'The Last Samurai' to be an excellent movie, with a story you can get invested in, and a great performance by Tom Cruise. My only minor nitpick would be that the movies running time is a bit too long.
½ July 14, 2016
This is for me the best performance Tom Cruise has ever had on the big screen. I liked the message the film carries all along the movie as well as how the story develops but only sometimes in the transitions of the different moments in the movie kind of forced.
½ July 13, 2016
The Last Samurai is a satisfying epic. It has a epic story, good script, and the thrilling battle scenes were execellent.
July 6, 2016
One of the best ever
June 16, 2016
Does not quite do what those in the Samurai genre do better, but honor and a life's dedication are always pillars that make me happy to watch. 7-8/10?
½ May 24, 2016
This movie is far from perfect. A predictable plot and unnecessary love interest hurt the experience, and the lack of subtitles for scenes entirely in another language can be frustrating. That being said, The Last Samurai has a lot to like. Tom Cruise is, as always, captivating, and Ken Watanabe earns his Oscar nomination. The chemistry between these two feels natural, as if they truly have a brotherly bond. The cinematography and costume design add a sense of authenticity. Hans Zimmer created another great soundtrack fitting of the time period. If you enjoy action flicks or Tom Cruise, give this movie a watch.
April 18, 2016
Un tres beau film avec une superbe bande son de Hans Zimmer. Cette vision juste et interessante de ce qu'etait le Japon des samourai et du Japon feodal.
April 12, 2016
Good visuals, and high quality production, this is a worthy period epic, though it does little in the way of innovative story telling.
½ March 25, 2016
Edward Zwick is a truly amazing director.
March 12, 2016
A good old fashioned action epic that deserves more attension! Tom Cruise is awesome and the action is impressive. Definitely worth seeing
March 8, 2016
It was a fantastic movie. Nothing like I expected. I would strongly suggest this to anyone.
½ March 2, 2016
I'm surprised to see that hardly anyone commented on the gross historical inaccuracies of The Last Samurai, which is nothing more than a Hollywood action drama exploiting Americans' ignorance of history in order to use late-19th century Japan as the setting for a rather tenuous plot.
½ February 28, 2016
The Last Samurai was good. I like the cinematography, however Nate's effortless pick up on the Japanese language seemed a bit far fetched.
February 28, 2016
The Last Samurai is one of the better movies I have watched, it is filled with heart and honor for what the samurai believe in. Although it is one of the better films, i feel like more of a backstory on Mr. Omura and the emperor is necessary.
½ February 27, 2016
The Last Samurai is not good as a historical movie, but it is great as a war film and I loved it. Tom Cruise is a great actor and he proves it right here in this epic movie.