The Last Samurai - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Samurai Reviews

½ January 3, 2017
The Last Samurai is a very underrated film. I loved it. Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe are great. The story is so good and touching. The relationship between Nathan and Katsumoto is so well shown. At first they hate each other and are enemies, but eventually they end loving and respecting each other. The war scenes are great. The way Nathan tries to adapt the Japanese culture is depicted very well. The only flaw with this is that it is a little slow and one or two scenes should have been more detailed. Other than that The Last Samurai is a great watch.
January 1, 2017
The Last Samurai's impressive production values and action scenes are unfortunately not enough to make up for its uneven screenplay and problematic message.
December 28, 2016
something that will always be a mystery is the fact that this film is so underrated. the acting is amazing and the score hits the movies tone perfectly.
½ December 19, 2016
Takes you on a journey and broadens your horizons...this is what films are all about
½ October 29, 2016
Great acting all around, but it's not enough to overcome the whole epic Hollywood cliches that plague this film. "The Last Samurai" could have been better, but it all tumbles because of its overproduced music and its lead white actor trying to save a Japanese culture from extinction. Sappy, yet ineffective. A story that could have potential.
October 28, 2016
One of Tom Cruise's best movies. Underrated and intriguing.
½ October 12, 2016
I went into The Last Samurai expecting it to be cheesy, how wrong I was. The story was amazing, the acting, specifically from Tom Cruise and Ken Watanabe was extremely good. Hiroyuki Sanada was very good as well. The battles are very engaging and of course, Hans Zimmer's beautiful score. A+ from me
October 10, 2016
A very underrated masterpiece
September 26, 2016
Possibly the greatest film ever made...
September 19, 2016
Okay epic.

Some of the themes depicted have been done to death. For instance, how often has Hollywood told stories about noble ancient cultures and customs, being wiped out by supposedly superior ones?
½ September 4, 2016
As you all know I love Tom Cruise so this review is biased. But I cannot see another white actor play this part any better. Also very rewatchable.
August 20, 2016
One of Tom Cruises best dramatic roles outside of 'Born on the 4th of July'
½ August 15, 2016
Would be a good movie if it didn't embody the problematic mighty whitey trope (not to mention a bunch of other problematic choices).
August 4, 2016
Beautiful art direction, sets, and costumes and a glorious performance from Ken Watanabe.
½ July 31, 2016
Great locales. Excellent photography. Mediocre direction. Cliched scenes.
Why does hollywood persist with this "White Man's Burden" movies?
A nice one time watch.
July 22, 2016
****
I found 'The Last Samurai' to be an excellent movie, with a story you can get invested in, and a great performance by Tom Cruise. My only minor nitpick would be that the movies running time is a bit too long.
½ July 14, 2016
This is for me the best performance Tom Cruise has ever had on the big screen. I liked the message the film carries all along the movie as well as how the story develops but only sometimes in the transitions of the different moments in the movie kind of forced.
½ July 13, 2016
The Last Samurai is a satisfying epic. It has a epic story, good script, and the thrilling battle scenes were execellent.
July 6, 2016