Critics Consensus: Arnold Makes a Satisfying Return in The Last Stand

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got a border skirmish (The Last Stand, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Johnny Knoxville), haunted children (Mama, starring Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), and a shady election (Broken City, starring Mark Wahlberg and Russell Crowe). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

The current state of the horror genre leaves me all but worried about "Mama" right now, because it actually looks appealing. Don't forget we still have the X-mas leftovers, or Arnie's under-promoted comeback vehicle.

Jan 17 - 04:54 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

What is going on with the horror genre? I don't want to sound like an old fuddy duddy but in my day a victim was someone who got killed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and all these current horror films seem to have people getting killed for being incredibly stupid beyond all reason. It just seems less scary to me because of this.

Jan 17 - 06:53 PM

Colson Engelberger

Colson Engelberger

I feel exactly the same way. I like to watch the older horror films versus the new ones. I mean, I still check behind the shower curtain after watching Psycho. Nowadays, horror feels like the same thing every time. Like, oh there's this really deformed guy with a knife and he goes around only killing hot teenagers. That's why Insidious,Sinister,and MAMA all seemed so good to me. It was just refreshing to not have a gore fest for once.

Jan 17 - 07:18 PM

ram b.

ram bond

for me the horror genre peaked in the 80's, when there was the fog,the changeling,poltergeist,the dead zone,evil dead 1 and 2,they live,prince of darkness,hellraiser man that was the time of horror

Jan 22 - 10:49 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

The torture stuff has run its course, IMO, so we're left with the almost scary haunted house stuff like Sinister and Insidious (which are coincidentally made by the U.S. torture horror kings) and possession garbage. But there is a lot of under the radar horror that is still damn good. Check out Session 9 if you haven't yet. I just watched it again the other day and remembered how underrated it is.

Jan 17 - 07:29 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Oh, and I still want to see "Sinister" (Insidious was plagued by the presences of Oren Peli and James Wan).

Jan 18 - 05:21 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

I thought it have always been in horror that deaths always have some moral-related reasons. I don't think people dying randomly is all that common even from the times of the Universal monster movies.

Jan 18 - 01:48 AM

MicHaeL H.

MicHaeL Hendriks

What is going on with the Horror-genre is that people have the wrong view of the genre these days. As in, indeed that it has to all be in this certain typical way as how these movies are these days. Filmmakers (that really want to make horror) should really go back to the idea of what real horror is and come up with something actually original.
People always instantly think of scares, killing and murdering, death, torture, monsters, ghosts and all those typical things. But that's just not the way to approach "horror". FEAR is (only) one of the key things to look at. You have to get under people's skins and into their minds, and that's not done by showing gore, especially not the bodyparts of some people on-screen that you don't care about.

The Horror-genre as it stands now is in a very deep rut and barely anybody knows how to really use it, so studios keep on hammering out the same type of "horror"-flick multiple times a year.
In fact, even recently there have been more shocking and horrific scenes and images in good movies that aren't made as a Horror-movie, than the actual so called "Horror-movies" themselves are.
So they should really just lay off trying to force "horror" and trying to make "horror movies" specifically, and just make good movies. That's also the mistake, deciding on a genre before you made your creation, because in fact it should be placed in a genre only when it's done.
But you can't just decide to make a Horror-movie and then only throw together clichés, mix things up a little, shoot it, and expect it to be a good and scary movie per definition. That's just not how creating ANYTHING works.

Jan 18 - 03:18 AM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

Horror is in the eye of the beholder. The genre is fine for those that it really matters. To see who those folks are you just have to visit any of the annual conventions, as I do, and you will see smiling faces lining up to chat with icons from the good, bad and the ugly form the genre. the majority of mainstream critics have never been big supporters of the genre, and in all honestly from what iv'e read in these comments sections neither are a majority of folks that post here. I've been a fan of the genre since i saw NOTLD when i 13 and will always show my support by going to see the films in theaters. Not all of them, but the ones that appeal to my tastes. As will all the true horror fans.

Jan 18 - 12:35 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah I like the classics a lot Colson. Hope your right about the Torture stuff running it's course. Possessions are so dull to me. I don't know if it's because I just never believed in it or if its how slowly a lot of them move a long but it's never been my thing. I think Session 9 is on Netflix. I'll put it in the queue. Thanks for the rec. Infernal dude. You make a good point Mohd. It's probably because classic moral problems seemed more innocent. I want to sleep with my girlfriend being a moral outrage still seems more rational than Lets break into an abandoned ware house for a sex orgy or lets say Who the F- are you! to the 7 foot tall zombie monster.

Jan 19 - 12:04 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

It's going to be interesting to see how well THE LAST STAND really does; while EXPENDABLES 2 certainly benefited from Arnold's presence, he was also surrounded by well-liked action stars. Regardless, I'm going to be patient and wait for all of these on DVD.

Jan 17 - 05:16 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm a sucker, so I'll be seeing "Mama", can't be worse than "Orphan". Also want to see "Hors Satan", but, oddly, the RT page for the film describes it as being about Mumia Abu-Jamal, which it clearly is not.

Rentals for the rest, but I think I'll watch "Broken City" before "Last Stand" which, man, looks dumber than the "Expendables" movies. Could be the stupid trailer, highlighting the goon-shtick, but nothing about it makes me remotely interested.

Jan 17 - 05:54 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I've been sucking trying to catch up on all the Oscar bait lately, what's Hors Satan?

Jan 17 - 06:47 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Not sure if its your bag or not but nearly every Oscar nom flick is on Birate Pay. Not condoning it... just letting you know.

Jan 17 - 07:33 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Hors Satan" is a French art film. My understanding is that it's pretty surreal.

Jan 17 - 08:08 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I really liked Orphan but if it was me I'd have marketed it as a mystery and not a horror film. I wonder if this will be more of the same?

Jan 17 - 06:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I won't spoil it, but I thought it was a cop out. Check out the silent "Unholy Three" instead.

Jan 17 - 08:09 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

The fast moving squiggly, ghost, mama thing is pretty creepy and anything with Jaime Lanister in it is cool with me.

Jan 17 - 07:31 PM

Janson Jinnistan

And Jessica Chastain makes a sexy brunette.

Jan 17 - 08:10 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think she looks better as a redhead.

Jan 17 - 09:49 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That suits her natural skin tone.

Jan 17 - 10:15 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

She makes a sexy anything. I actually think she looks better with red hair though.

Jan 17 - 10:54 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Loved it when she finally showed her titties in LAWLESS.

Jan 18 - 10:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I wouldn't tell anybody to go out and watch "the help" but her character in that film was fantastic.

Jan 19 - 12:06 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Janson, thanks for ckearing the RT's confusion about Hors Satan. It does read that it is about Mumia Abu-Jamal, but when I looked at the stills it didn't seem to be about it at all. And then I forgot to search the web to double-check.

Jan 18 - 03:28 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't like to get thorny at RT for technical mistakes, but I should also mention that the "Last Stand" directer's name is misspelled on that page, and that his full profile is listed as "Ji-woon Kim" (not JEE-woon), and that's why it slipped my mind when I was going over the new releases yesterday.

Jan 18 - 10:56 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Actually I noticed the spelling mistake, but only because I already knew who the director was. If I didn't, I would probably assume it was some other director with a slightly similar name.

Jan 20 - 06:16 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Obviously you're right, Hugo. It was my oversight. But it added to the slight confusion because we haven't yet decided on proper order of Korean names. So you have the more definite page on the director as "Ji-woon Kim" while "Last Stand" is listed under "Kim Jee-woon". I should have made the connection, but it slipped by me.

Jan 20 - 01:57 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jan 17 - 06:55 PM

Jan 17 - 08:09 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, Wallbergs characters name is "Billy Taggart". Director must have been a big Beverly Hills Cop fan. Either that or it's just a coincidink, but I prefer to think the former.

Jan 17 - 06:59 PM

Daniel Irwin

Jan 18 - 05:21 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 17 - 07:31 PM

Janson Jinnistan

And Jessica Chastain makes a sexy brunette.

Jan 17 - 08:10 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think she looks better as a redhead.

Jan 17 - 09:49 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That suits her natural skin tone.

Jan 17 - 10:15 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Jan 17 - 10:54 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Loved it when she finally showed her titties in LAWLESS.

Jan 18 - 10:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jan 19 - 12:06 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 17 - 07:33 PM

Mr. Lee

Daniel Lee

The Last Stand: The Governator taking illegal immigration to his own hands

Jan 17 - 07:37 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I'm a huge fan of action films that devoids the use of CGI so it's "The Last Stand" for me as well!

Jan 18 - 12:43 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

That would be a movie. Imagine all the Boycotts in the south, lol.

Jan 18 - 01:09 PM

Jan 17 - 08:08 PM

Jan 17 - 08:09 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Mama looks as if Chastain saw and loved "El Orfanato" and decided to jump in on the Cronos director's creepy production credits.

Jan 17 - 08:10 PM

Janson Jinnistan

And Jessica Chastain makes a sexy brunette.

Jan 17 - 08:10 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think she looks better as a redhead.

Jan 17 - 09:49 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That suits her natural skin tone.

Jan 17 - 10:15 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Jan 17 - 10:54 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Loved it when she finally showed her titties in LAWLESS.

Jan 18 - 10:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jan 19 - 12:06 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I grew up on old school action flicks, Arnold was always my favorite when I was a young lad. So, I will definitely be checking out The Last Stand some time in the near future.

Mama did not look too engrossing based on the trailer. Del Toro has yet to really deliver a horror film as a producer that is in the same realm as his personal output.

Broken City never had my interest in the slightest, so I could really care less about it.

Jan 17 - 09:42 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

The Orphanage wasn't in the same realm as his personal output?

Jan 17 - 10:55 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think she looks better as a redhead.

Jan 17 - 09:49 PM

Janson Jinnistan

That suits her natural skin tone.

Jan 17 - 10:15 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Jan 17 - 10:54 PM

Five Favorite Films
Five Favorite Films

Brick Mansions star RZA

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

Summer Calendar