The Last Starfighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Starfighter Reviews

October 15, 2017
What sounded like a Star Wars ripoff quickly dismisses the comparison with a likable film. The film has a lot of heart and the running time is quite quick, meaning the film doesn't out stay its welcome. It's a shame the film didn't receive the ovation that Star Wars did as this could've grown into a lucrative franchise. I liked the lead character and the presence he provided, the only real issue I had was the simplistic villain, we really needed more depth. This is an old cult classic that has special effects which feel quite state of the art for the time period. 15-10-2017.
September 30, 2017
Every kid at my age dreamed of being 'discovered' only to become a hero or become famous. This movie was about that and it was amazing. Incredible special effects, awesome story and fantastic world building. This movie had more going for it than most television series would or could aspire to.
for more go to: http://latetothegame.blog/2017/09/24/key-movies-of-my-life-the-last-starfighter-1984/
½ September 22, 2017
I saw this movie over 30 years ago during a mini-vacation to Ocean City, MD. This is still one of my favorite movies despite the hoki-ness of the story and visual effects in a post-Starwars world. The most fascinating thing was what I found out later in a documentary that the Gunstar spaceship was created on a Cray XMP Supercomputer - on of the first CGI spaceships in a movie. Although, the CGI effects for the Gunstar and the Kodan mothership appear crude and rudimentary compared to present-day CGI renderings, this movie pioneered the way. It's also a cute move, especially the quote about "Save the whales, but not the Universe..".
May 28, 2017
The hero's journey told with (limited by our standards but cutting edge in1984) CGI technology... a hugely influential film. And one of my all-time favourites!
April 18, 2017
Used to watch this over and over again whenever me and my family went up north to spend time with my uncle, and never got tired of it! Have to see it again in order to make a more analysis of it.
April 2, 2017
A classic tale of the underdog saving the world a must see for everyone who has ever dreamed of something bigger
½ February 20, 2017
This movie is a great adventure for any sci-fi fan!
½ November 6, 2016
I remember watching this movie as a kid and the image that stuck out the most was when Alex sees Centauri's real face for the first time. I just rewatched this 80s cult classic and it's simplicity is the bread and butter. A smart kid dreams of more and is thrown into a war. Add in a girl worth fighting for, a funny kid brother, crazy aliens, and graphics that look like they didn't make it past the render stage and you have a film that will never die. I think this one might be due for a remake, knowing Hollywood and the success of Tron Legacy! Who says video games are bad? No, no, that's not the premise, this story is summed up by the wise black man, "grab opportunity and hold on tight". Let's also all make sure that opportunity is selfless, like fighting a war for the universe!
November 3, 2016
The Last Starfighter is sometimes endearing, its use of CGI is groundbreaking and the film is good for children, but it is way too childish for adults and way too cheesy even for 80s standards. It is a movie that those who grew up with it and kids could enjoy, but everyone else would find boring, immature and uninspired and that is exactly what I thought of it.
½ August 31, 2016
I don't care if this film has a similar plot to Star Wars or what one would call a mockbuster. This film charmed the pants off me and is one of the best cult followings I've seen in a long time.
July 15, 2016
Interesting film of trailer park kid who becomes the only person left to fight an alien force trying to conquer other planets. Would be better if the special effects were updated because all of the space sequences now look like an outdated video game.
July 2, 2016
I just have to say that this movie was awful. I love bad movies, don't get me wrong, but they have to be laugh out loud funny and thoroughly entertaining despite themselves. This was not. The best part of the film was Craig Safan's triumphant score; without it the film would have suffered tremendously and would not be the "cult classic" that people apparently think it is.
½ March 6, 2016
One of those films which young and old alike can enjoy. Yes, it's relatively dated. Yes, the story is rather corny. Yes, the effects may seem antiquated (by today's standards). Still, this was - and still is - something special. Though I never saw it in a theatre, I first viewed it on HBO - then viewed it again...and again...and again. It just captured my imagination and took me on a journey to the stars. Another aspect which makes this such a special film is the back-story behind how the ground-breaking CGI special effects were created. Listening to the actors and crew, you can almost get caught up in the excitement they felt during the production. If you've never seen this before, you should seriously consider adding it to your bucket list. If you have seen it...well, another viewing won't hurt. One of those rare films which you can watch over and over, yet never grow tired of.
½ March 3, 2016
160303: So bad it's good? Ok, maybe not. Man, were the 80s really that bad? There is some perverse appeal here.
February 29, 2016
Really fun flick; probably would have enjoyed it 10x as much as a teenager.
½ January 5, 2016
Like space ships? Like games? Like aliens? ...This flick has you covered. - Really nice atmosphere.
½ December 23, 2015
Pretty entertaining, and worth a watch. This is one of those films that had a lot of influence on modern sci-fi (especially Armada and its upcoming blockbuster release!). So I'd recommend checking this out if you want a light-hearted sci-fi film with decent action.
½ December 16, 2015
Better than Star Wars.
½ November 25, 2015
Fun 80's sci-fi adventure
½ October 31, 2015
Just watched it for the first time at 28. If I had watched it as a kid it probably would've been one of my favourite movies.