The Last Starfighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Starfighter Reviews

July 21, 2015
A time capsule worthy example of 80's sci-fi cheese. The effects are laughable and the characters are unsettlingly bizarre. At its best you'll grin at the dopey earnestness. At its worst it feels like you're watching someone else play a boring video game.
½ June 2, 2015
Enjoyable, and much more fun than you'd think.
April 13, 2015
For gamers of the 80's this film was their wet dream....the story still plays while the visuals are purely stuck in the 80's.
½ March 16, 2015
Terrible special effects and an anemic script!
March 15, 2015
great low budget Sci-fi.
February 14, 2015
why is the trailer for the movie the "too sexy for my shirt" guys?
January 30, 2015
A strange, cool and most importantly fun adventure of self-discovery through the stars. Full review later.
January 13, 2015
Star Wars influenced it... and what? It's still one of the most remarkable sci-fi nostalgia tales of the 80's. So much memories, so much fun.
December 15, 2014
An outer space delight! Always has been, always will be.
November 22, 2014
Addictive Teenage Boy Fodder...Soooo Good, I Still Think This 80s Classic Completely Rocks!
½ August 31, 2014
'The Last Starfighter' served to reassure parents that videogames can save the world.
½ August 27, 2014
A dream come true for imaginative minded galaxy heroes
August 26, 2014
Had I seen this in my youth, I'd probably be able to look upon this more fondly with childhood nostalgia, but having just watched it I can't see it for more than what it is, a pretty bad movie. The script is pretty awful, even for scifi of its time. It feels like it's just going through the motions of what better scifi movies had done. Also, the main actor is incredibly generic and not good at all.
½ August 17, 2014
"Greetings Starfighters..." A science fiction classic, The Last Starfighter delivers an imaginative, action-packed adventure. After breaking the record on the Starfighter arcade game at his trailer park Alex Rogan is approached by the game's creator and taken to a space-station on a distant planet where he learns that the arcade game was really an alien recruiting tool to find Starfighters to defend the Star League against an invasion force. Starring Lance Guest, Catherine Mary Stewart, and Robert Preston, the film has a good cast that delivers some pretty strong performances. And, as one of the first feature films to use CGI, the special effects are incredibly innovative and revolutionary for their time. The score by Craig Safan is also extraordinarily well-done, and is full of sweeping themes. Though it's aged a bit, The Last Starfighter is a fun and entertaining space odyssey.
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 10/17/2012)
½ July 2, 2014
Filme que respira Spielberg por todos os poros... e é 80s puro!
½ July 2, 2014
Little almost-cult born in the wave of Star Wars success. A bunch of good ideas and premature CGI, grounded by a juvenile budget-saving story revolving around herself, and I cannot resolve to like young mr Guest, who could be the precursor of nerdy videogame guys, but only for their worst qualities.
½ June 7, 2014
No matter how many times I see it, I want to see it again! Just a good movie from my childhood.
June 7, 2014
Great effects considering when this movie was created. Still one of my all time favorites for good old fashion science fiction.
May 25, 2014
Fun movie!
"I'm about to get killed a million miles from nowhere with a gung-ho iguana who tells me to relax."
lol