The Last Unicorn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Unicorn Reviews

May 27, 2016
I thought the fantasy movie was very sweet. It had beautiful animation and some good wisdom messages from the script. It was interesting to watch and some soft songs to go along with the plot. I wish a live action version would be made.
March 24, 2016
It ain't a classic, but it kept my interest with decent visuals, a sense of fun, and a surprisingly recognizable voice cast.
March 12, 2016
Admittedly, the songs have a rather dated feel; the crew could've hired better singers. Those criticisms aside, "The Last Unicorn" is a faithful and beautiful adaptation of the novel. I really wish Hollywood would consider making a live-action version.
½ February 21, 2016
I only watched this 1982 film as it seems to be one quite a few childhood favorites lists. I feel like anyone who likes this is watching it through the eyes of nostalgia, because as someone who first saw it in 2016, I did not like it. I don't have a problem with the dated animation. It's fine for its time. The voice acting and script are just terrible, and the songs are extremely grating, literally describing what is happening on the screen. I found it a chore to finish.
February 18, 2016
This movie defies rating.
February 6, 2016
I can't describe the sheer awesomeness of the movie
½ January 22, 2016
another classic film from my childhood
the creators of the animated 'Lord of the Rings' film weave together a fantasy about hope, desperation, searching for answers, and freedom
a star-studded cast from Mia Farrow to Jeff Bridges to Christopher Lee to Angela Lansbury
some of the animation is a bit to be desired but the voice acting is terrific and the music is very emotional
a lone unicorn discovers she may be the last of her kind so she embarks on a perilous journey to find out what has happened meeting a magician, a witch, a corrupt king, and a red bull
there really are a lot of scenes in this that are so questionable you'll be asking yourself, 'wait, is this really for kids?'
still the powerful, magnetic storytelling should please animation as well as fantasy lovers
January 11, 2016
Mature, and emotional, The Last Unicorn is another brilliant step taken by animation into a darker world.
½ January 11, 2016
I had high hopes for this movie but the whole thing felt like a badly scripted, badly animated acid trip.
½ December 2, 2015
I loved this movie as a kid, but this thing is really strange.
September 18, 2015
An excellent animation from the 80s with a great sense of maturity, style and adventure with great characters and voice work, and an amazing ambiance that sucks you right in.
September 18, 2015
½ September 6, 2015
Though it's aged a bit, and suffers a bit from a meandering plot, The Last Unicorn is still a beautifully surreal movie with a surprising amount of bittersweetness that isn't seen in most animated films.
August 30, 2015
I'm sure I saw this as a kid, but didn't remember it at all. It has a very impressive voice cast including: Alan Arkin, Jeff Bridges, Christopher Lee, Angela Lansbury and Mia Farrow. The animation is decent and the story is ok. I liked it, but didn't love it. Worth a watch for sure, especially for animation fans.
August 18, 2015
One of my all time favorites - lovely animation and a plot that is not as dumbed down as many "cartoons" - in fact it's really very, very complex if you scratch the surface.
½ July 30, 2015
Its shear enchantment is enough to make you look past its low-budget animation, but "The Last Unicorn" quickly loses your attention due to its tedious plot and thin characters who never say or do anything interesting.
½ July 29, 2015
'The Last Unicorn' is pure Rankin/Bass fantasy schmaltz, for what value that holds.
July 20, 2015
A naive unicorn (Mia Farrow) leaves the safety of her enchanted wood in the hopes of finding other members of her species. With the help of a motley band of human misfits, she eventually encounters a bitter king (Christopher Lee) who has imprisoned her brethren with the aid of a demonic bull. The fantasy genre often uses its impossible denizens as symbols of human insecurity and this film, adapted from the novel by Peter Beagle, touches upon universal themes of heartbreak, regret, and mortality. Like its source material, The Last Unicorn is an oddly touching story with memorable characters and unforgettable imagery. Many of its animators would move on to key positions under Hayao Miyazaki at Studio Ghibli.
July 19, 2015
One of the great children's films of all time. Star studded cast and an instant classic that gave a generation of children nightmares.
½ July 19, 2015
I'm not really a fan of Rankin and Bass, and quite honestly this didn't change my mind. The visuals, as usual, are very well done. Some of the background animation in this movie was gorgeous to look at, especially for the time, and the movement itself, while clunky, can be forgiven based on when it was made. The voice acting and borderline incomprehensible plot, however, can't. The voice acting is uniformly terrible throughout the movie, with special mention going to Jeff Bridges as the Prince, who has exactly one vocal tone and uses it the whole film without fail no matter the circumstances. The story itself, meanwhile, started out almost startlingly abruptly (with a unicorn leaving her forest on the say so of two complete strangers) and continued on into being just plain weird. Virtually nothing having to do with the king or anything that went on in his castle was explained at all, and a number of the characters were just plain annoying. Special mention there goes to that butterfly at the beginning who I wanted to throttle after only about 45 seconds. For being different and having really nice animation, I'll give this 2.5 stars. For everything else, you're better off looking elsewhere.