The Last Unicorn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Unicorn Reviews

½ February 19, 2017
Legitimately one of the worst movies ever, which by cruel twists of fate I've been forced to watch three times now. It held up as entertainingly bad for half of the first viewing, and thereafter declined into painfully uninteresting and unintelligible .
January 16, 2017
Beautifully animated and emotionally involving, The Last Unicorn is 80s animation at its finest. They don't make them like this anymore.
½ January 1, 2017
A terribly overlooked animated film from the early 1980s. While The Last Unicorn suffers from some scattered storytelling, it's nevertheless an engaging and timeless fairy tale with interesting and unique characters.

The animation, while somewhat stilted, is really colorful and beautiful looking withe some great backdrops and character designs.

If you're interested in seeing a non-Disney animated film, then be sure to check out this little gem from Rankin and Bass.
May 27, 2016
I thought the fantasy movie was very sweet. It had beautiful animation and some good wisdom messages from the script. It was interesting to watch and some soft songs to go along with the plot. I wish a live action version would be made.
March 24, 2016
It ain't a classic, but it kept my interest with decent visuals, a sense of fun, and a surprisingly recognizable voice cast.
March 12, 2016
Admittedly, the songs have a rather dated feel; the crew could've hired better singers. Those criticisms aside, "The Last Unicorn" is a faithful and beautiful adaptation of the novel. I really wish Hollywood would consider making a live-action version.
½ February 21, 2016
I only watched this 1982 film as it seems to be one quite a few childhood favorites lists. I feel like anyone who likes this is watching it through the eyes of nostalgia, because as someone who first saw it in 2016, I did not like it. I don't have a problem with the dated animation. It's fine for its time. The voice acting and script are just terrible, and the songs are extremely grating, literally describing what is happening on the screen. I found it a chore to finish.
February 18, 2016
This movie defies rating.
February 6, 2016
I can't describe the sheer awesomeness of the movie
½ January 22, 2016
another classic film from my childhood
the creators of the animated 'Lord of the Rings' film weave together a fantasy about hope, desperation, searching for answers, and freedom
a star-studded cast from Mia Farrow to Jeff Bridges to Christopher Lee to Angela Lansbury
some of the animation is a bit to be desired but the voice acting is terrific and the music is very emotional
a lone unicorn discovers she may be the last of her kind so she embarks on a perilous journey to find out what has happened meeting a magician, a witch, a corrupt king, and a red bull
there really are a lot of scenes in this that are so questionable you'll be asking yourself, 'wait, is this really for kids?'
still the powerful, magnetic storytelling should please animation as well as fantasy lovers
January 11, 2016
Mature, and emotional, The Last Unicorn is another brilliant step taken by animation into a darker world.
½ January 11, 2016
I had high hopes for this movie but the whole thing felt like a badly scripted, badly animated acid trip.
½ December 2, 2015
I loved this movie as a kid, but this thing is really strange.
September 18, 2015
An excellent animation from the 80s with a great sense of maturity, style and adventure with great characters and voice work, and an amazing ambiance that sucks you right in.
September 18, 2015
½ September 6, 2015
Though it's aged a bit, and suffers a bit from a meandering plot, The Last Unicorn is still a beautifully surreal movie with a surprising amount of bittersweetness that isn't seen in most animated films.
August 30, 2015
I'm sure I saw this as a kid, but didn't remember it at all. It has a very impressive voice cast including: Alan Arkin, Jeff Bridges, Christopher Lee, Angela Lansbury and Mia Farrow. The animation is decent and the story is ok. I liked it, but didn't love it. Worth a watch for sure, especially for animation fans.
August 18, 2015
One of my all time favorites - lovely animation and a plot that is not as dumbed down as many "cartoons" - in fact it's really very, very complex if you scratch the surface.
½ July 30, 2015
Its shear enchantment is enough to make you look past its low-budget animation, but "The Last Unicorn" quickly loses your attention due to its tedious plot and thin characters who never say or do anything interesting.
½ July 29, 2015
'The Last Unicorn' is pure Rankin/Bass fantasy schmaltz, for what value that holds.