The Last Unicorn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Unicorn Reviews

April 9, 2018
My favorite movie from my childhood, though I remember as a child being terrified of several aspects of this trip of a film.
½ March 23, 2018
The Last Unicorn: The Last Unicorn is an animated film adored by many that have an all-star cast and animated by Rankin Bass. It involves a unicorn that when learning she is the last of her kind embarks in a long song-filled journey to find others of her kind all while pursued by the Red Bull (not the sports drink).

The Good: The screams of grandma when she pops in the room to see her wards watching the bouncing breasts of a triple-breasted topless harpy (or god help us a well-endowed tree) in this G rated film she picked up for a dollar at Walmart.

The Bad: Full disclosure I hated this movie. The animation is sub-par and the songs are insipid. Jeff Bridges and Mia Farrow sing themselves and that seemed to be an error. The story is slow and there are severe tonal shifts throughout. Honestly, it is a hard film to get through.

In Conclusion: If you loved this film as a kid more power to you. I certainly have some films I saw at a tender age I doubt would hold up today (I am looking your way, Damnation Alley). Taken as itself away from the veil of nostalgia this is a slow moving film with poor animation, forgettable songs, and half asleep celebrity voice actors.
March 5, 2018
although it Could come off as dated in some ways it retains a dark charm that is timeless
½ December 15, 2017
The music made me cringe, the soundtrack was dull, and the story was all over the place. I got completely lost and somehow the story of a unicorn searching for the rest of her kind turned into a tale of the love shared between a woman and a man who literally just met. The plot and storytelling was confusing, and there were some scenes that seemed unfit for a G Rated movie (for example, a seductive tree squishing a wizard between her giant breasts). I love unicorns, but this is undoubtedly the worst movie I have ever seen.

-Kaylee C.
½ December 14, 2017
A cheesy bit of fantasy fun from the Rankin Bass company. It has more heart than most children's films of its time, and overturns usual story arcs and character tropes. Peter S. Beagle's screenplay is brought to life with brilliant animation and voices to carry it through. It leaves you with a happy feeling at the end of the journey.
November 11, 2017
Awesome animation, Awesome music, Awesome story, Awesome movie.
October 27, 2017
i think the last unicorn is a amazing movie but dont be fooled by the child freindly imagery because this is not a kids movie theres a tree with giant breasts and a wizard gets stuck in its breasts a giant harpy kills a character named momma fortuna theres some very creepy imagery with a talking skeleton with red eyes and theres a dark backstory with some bulls are reavealed to have killed the other unicorns and a evil sorcerer falls to his death
October 26, 2017
Another timeless classic for me and probably many others.

It has a nice plot where a lady unicorn, after being alone for so long, goes to find th rest of her kind. Along the way she meets a variety of charming characters that help her find her lost people, and help her grow as a person.

The film is filled with lovely imagery, sweet haunting music and songs, with nice little touches about the mythology behind unicorns.

The scene with the Harpy and Red Bull are particularly intense and might scare really young children but other than that, I would say anyone can watch this and enjoy it.

Go on and treat yourself :)
October 10, 2017
This movie is was pretty good, This movie is was fantasy, and heart warmer, and enchanted. I really love this movie in 80s, Mia Farrow is the Unicorn herself
August 13, 2017
I am sure there are a lot of different reviews but after reading the Novel by Peter S. Beagle I can only say I loved this movie and the animation is great!!!!
June 7, 2017
This movie made me cry as a child.
½ February 19, 2017
Legitimately one of the worst movies ever, which by cruel twists of fate I've been forced to watch three times now. It held up as entertainingly bad for half of the first viewing, and thereafter declined into painfully uninteresting and unintelligible .
January 16, 2017
Beautifully animated and emotionally involving, The Last Unicorn is 80s animation at its finest. They don't make them like this anymore.
½ January 1, 2017
A terribly overlooked animated film from the early 1980s. While The Last Unicorn suffers from some scattered storytelling, it's nevertheless an engaging and timeless fairy tale with interesting and unique characters.

The animation, while somewhat stilted, is really colorful and beautiful looking withe some great backdrops and character designs.

If you're interested in seeing a non-Disney animated film, then be sure to check out this little gem from Rankin and Bass.
May 27, 2016
I thought the fantasy movie was very sweet. It had beautiful animation and some good wisdom messages from the script. It was interesting to watch and some soft songs to go along with the plot. I wish a live action version would be made.
March 24, 2016
It ain't a classic, but it kept my interest with decent visuals, a sense of fun, and a surprisingly recognizable voice cast.
March 12, 2016
Admittedly, the songs have a rather dated feel; the crew could've hired better singers. Those criticisms aside, "The Last Unicorn" is a faithful and beautiful adaptation of the novel. I really wish Hollywood would consider making a live-action version.
½ February 21, 2016
I only watched this 1982 film as it seems to be one quite a few childhood favorites lists. I feel like anyone who likes this is watching it through the eyes of nostalgia, because as someone who first saw it in 2016, I did not like it. I don't have a problem with the dated animation. It's fine for its time. The voice acting and script are just terrible, and the songs are extremely grating, literally describing what is happening on the screen. I found it a chore to finish.
February 18, 2016
This movie defies rating.
February 6, 2016
I can't describe the sheer awesomeness of the movie