The Last Unicorn Reviews

• Sep 22, 2019

I have loved this movie for as long as I can remember. I was born in 1993 and I can vividly recall watching this over and over again. Since reaching adulthood, I have read the book and while there are a few differences, nothing will ever sway my opinion that this movie is truly the epitome of magic and adventure. Whether you are 40 or 4, The Last Unicorn is definitely worth the watch. So unique and amazing ❤️

• Jul 26, 2019

First saw this movie when I was 5 and I nearly shit myself. I had nightmares for months. Don't show this to your 5 year old.

• Jul 06, 2019

I think this is one of the best animation movies. The quality of drawing Unicorn was very good. The Unicorn character touched bottom of my heart.

• May 14, 2019

A wonderful story written in literary form--the hero's journey. The art style is like a woven tapestry of old come to life.

• May 12, 2019

Pretty good overall. A good choice for little kids, but tell them to avert their eyes a few seconds after the unicorn transforms. Sin Tally: infinity + 134

• Mar 10, 2019

Melancholic without becoming morose, lyrical without becoming maudlin, the film is marked an enough imagination and abiding beauty to overcome its simplicity.

• Feb 24, 2019

A very trippy tale. Would have been better without the crap music.

A very trippy tale. Would have been better without the crap music.

• Feb 22, 2019

2.22.19 re-watch Amazon Prime

2.22.19 re-watch Amazon Prime

• Jan 23, 2019

Before tossing this one in the old player I had thought I'd never seen it before. As it turns out, I had, but completely forgotten about it. That is until it kick-started my brain as the movie went on. While I did enjoy watching The Last Unicorn and jogging my own childhood memories, it did make me wonder. Why did completely forget about this film? The Last Unicorn is about just that. The Last Unicorn in the land who has finally stopped to wonder where everyone else has gone. Hearing from a butterfly that the others of her kind were captured by a Red Bull controlled by a King, she sets off on an epic...while more accidentally epic quest to find them. Along the way, she meets a wizard, and vagrant woman, and gets turned into a human. In the end, she meets the love of her life and turns into a Narwhal or something like that. That's a joke, but honestly, there is a song by America in this movie that talks about Mythical creatures like the Unicorn and Pegasus, in the same reverence as the Magpie and Narwhal...so not that far fetched of a joke. Jokes aside, The Last Unicorn is a good mixture of cultures and folk tales which is animated superbly. To me, the story left some things to be desired, and the pacing never really kept me in the film. It seemed we would speed ahead in time, and then stop completely at other times. I wasn't expecting a non-stop thrill ride, but a bit of a build-up to the end would have been nice. The voice cast is great with Christopher Lee, Alan Arkin, and Mia Farrow throwing in great performances. Yet, no matter what I liked about this film, it just didn't seem satisfying at the end. I don't know if it was the pacing, or story, or America songs, which I don't think personally fit in the film. But The Last Unicorn left me wanting a better tale to go with the animation that my eyes feasted on. Still, the movie is a family classic tale with some darker themes that may frighten small children that haven't been ruined by social media yet. I recommend it at least for a watch or two.

• Dec 30, 2018

This is my all-time favorite movie. I've seen it dozens of times since I was 4. I have no idea if it's actually a good movie- maybe just a nostalgia thing? I'm convinced I'd still love it If I saw it for the first time today, though. The Red Bull: so creepy/scary, but so captivating. Love love love. And the music! This movie is gorgeous.