The Last Voyage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Voyage Reviews

½ March 8, 2015
There is tension in this 55 year old action adventure and it's better than a lot of the other disaster movies to come in later years.
½ August 1, 2014
The little girl can kind of get on your nerves. But, Dorothy Malone, Robert Stack and George Sanders make it an excellent Saturday afternoon flick
March 2, 2014
another cruise ship actioner like 'titanic' or "the posidan adventure"
June 10, 2013
Woody Strode is fantastic in this disaster classic from 1960
½ May 13, 2012
still a great movie, with a REAL sinking liner.
½ November 22, 2011
still a great movie, with a REAL sinking liner.
½ October 11, 2011
a story of love,lost, and pure drama. It's a classic.
½ May 13, 2011
A thrilling drama that holds many whispers of the past; foremost, the Sinking of the Andrea Doria in 1956, four years prior to the release of the film.
August 17, 2010
Half-decent thriller will a sense of realism brought about by the dialogue, stunt work and lack of an underscoring soundtrack.
½ August 16, 2010
ok actioneer kinda like posidan adventure sinking ship,perial
December 7, 2009
Hyfsat övertygande fartygskatastrof med riktigt fina specialeffekter trots en uppenbart låg budget. Men man förbluffas över att skeppet inte kan hållas flytande av allt träigt skådespeleri.
½ October 23, 2009
a story of love,lost, and pure drama. It's a classic.
August 17, 2009
I liked it. It shows instead of telling. Doesn't expect us to care about the passengers' personalities, yet we can't help but learn about them from watching what they do, and maybe because they were treated like ciphers at first, I actually worried about them. Much better than Poseidon (all) and Titanic (all), which expected me to care therefore I didn't.
August 25, 2007
I saw this movie when I was a little girl and recently decided to see if I could locate it on DVD. I did and it was just as good as when I originially saw it. Who needs Titanic when you can have real people on a real flooded ship and not on some gigantic backlot?! The premise...a sinking ocean liner, a trapped woman, a loyal husband and a heroic ship hand may be formulaic but it works here. The movie also makes a statement regarding race...the scene where Woody Strode offers to take the little girl and put her on a life boat...well everyone knows you can't trust black men with your white daughter! But this movie rises above that as Robert Stack (at first giving Woody a double take) entrusts his daughter to a stranger and a black man. The camera work is they are leaving the flooding ocean liner (the real deal BTW...Ile de France or something like that...real luxury ocean liner) you can see the camera moving and being splashed with water. The little girl in the movie over-acts except for 2 scenes...the one where she is trapped on a ledge in front of a gaping hole in the ship which requires her to crawl across a plank to the safety of Robert Stack. The second is where Woody Strode is taking her back to the deck away from her mother. She fights him all the way, sobbing. She even holds onto the door. Both great scenes. I give this movie a '10' because it's a 'throw back' to when actors REALLY had to be physically fit to do movies, because of the realism of the danger and because I love old movies that are really good. We are 'special effects' to death today! It thrilled me at 10 and 40+years later, I still enjoyed it!
½ March 11, 2007
I stumbled across [i]The Last Voyage[/i] (1960) on one of those all-movie cable networks. This old movie is about the luxury liner [i]SS Claridon[/i] and the disaster the befalls it. Yes, this is about a dozen years before [i]The Poseidon Adventure[/i] and that was the thing that first drew me to it.

The movie really held my interest...probably for the following reasons:

1) it's only 91 minutes long and the movie appears to run in "real time"...i.e. everything occurs in about an hour and a half. Essentially the movie starts with things quickly going sour on the ship.
2) there's no music. The tension is basically what you see.
3) the short time limits the melodrama to basically Robert Stack trying to save his wife played by Dorothy Malone, who's trapped under a bulkhead and is likely to drown (will he save her?...).
4) Unlike movies such as [i]Titanic[/i], the previously noted [i]Poseidon Adventure[/i], and the recent [i]Poseidon[/i], this movie used a real luxury liner: [i]S.S. Ile de France[/i]. Apparently, this ship was sold for scrap and the new owners leased it to the movie guys. Most of the movie was filmed on this thing and it really added to the realism. They even flooded the front compartments in shallow water to mimic the sinking ship. Throw in a few 1960's era special effects and the result was quite effective. Apparently, they won a special effects Oscar.
5) neat photography...many interesting angles and camera tracking that captured the luxury of the ship, its size, and the ongoing disaster. There was one scene where the front of the ship is going under water and the last people on board are running towards the back, with the water at their feet. The camera is tracking backwards ahead of them at deck level...water splashing on the camera as it goes. I found it really, really neat.

I wouldn't call it a "classic" but it's worth catching. I'm giving it a "7" for being a bit different, realistic (by using a real ship), and for pioneering the modern marine disaster flick.
July 19, 2005