The Last Winter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Winter Reviews

½ August 24, 2016
Really amazing promise that just don't deliver at the end... Weird camera angles and pasting choices. Won't say anything about acting and really poor CGI effects.
½ June 11, 2016
Okay, The Last Winter was definitely a creative, yet ambitious, project. Be this as it may, the screenplay did not correlate to the superb acting and directing the film had. All I can say is, upon reading the synopsis on Wikipedia, I now get certain elements of this film. It's a rental, but it could have been a spectacle of a film. Furthermore, it is not a horror movie. It is a thriller, to whomever is reading this.
½ November 26, 2015
The Last Winter is set in exactly same setting as 80's cult The Thing, but it is focused on more psychological aspects then on the alien parasite. Which ultimately sucks the juice out of it. Movie is powerful in every way but since it ends in an abyss, it losses most of it's charm there.
½ November 22, 2015
A chilling slow burner with enough atmospheric tension to make up for the subpar finale.
½ November 18, 2015
exceptionally well made with one major flaw
½ October 1, 2015
Pretty well done ultra low budger psychological horror film.
½ September 18, 2015
Uses all the elements to it's advantage and borrows a bit from Carpenter's The Thing in atmosphere and isolation......fine interesting horror movie.
September 11, 2015
I think it has a 33% on the audience side is because this probably wasn't a mainstream movie, it probably wasn't popular enough for more people to see it and give more opinions.
August 29, 2015
follow @smartvhf on instagram
August 24, 2015
The Last Winter really has nothing going for it. The whole idea behind the madness is stupid. The anticipation leads to nothing and then it ends.
July 31, 2015
Wait, what just happened? This is one of the few times I was led astray by rotten tomatoes critics reviews. The acting was decent, and the film had some suspense and an eerie atmosphere, but WTF... The climax was totally confusing and the moose ghost took a fat dump on anything redeemable about the film. It seemed like the creators ran out of money 3/4 of the way through, took some bad acid and decided to re-write the ending. Critics, c'mon, really?
½ June 9, 2015
stupid hippy bullshit
November 14, 2014
Fessenden has a penchant for environmentalism, a thing that in reality rarely goes well with pathos. Howeber, he managed to tell a story which, albeit slowpaced to the point of freeze, is genuinely eerie and cookie-deserving for an original choice of monsters (how many horned nature wights have you seen lately in horror?)
October 29, 2014
Here we have a fine effort by Larry Fessenden to make horror entertaining, rather than simply relying on splatter and body counts. The movie progresses at a leisurely pace, building character development and tension. Odd things are happening, and the viewer is left to speculate about what is going wrong. I do not get the impression, like some others, that "The Last Winter" is meant to be purely a message movie about screwing with the environment. When viewed as simply entertainment, it delivers. The on location photography adds tremendously, and Ron Perlman gives a standout performance. Maybe the oil company drilling unleashed a hallucinatory gas,that caused abnormal behavior, maybe it didn't. The film has many possible explanations, none of which are crystal clear, but that is also what makes "The Last Winter" fascinating.
½ September 2, 2014
An effective and efficient atmospheric slow-burn "eco-scare" set in a barren and isolated location that presents an intriguing storyline with fine performances across the board. Nothing here that will blow you away, but nicely realized and executed with satisfying results. Impressive cinematography and Ron Perlman does a solid job in his lead role.
½ June 8, 2014
Suspense and eerie with a greenie message...
March 16, 2014
Very well photographed. acted with good music and eerie effects. If this movie had a bigger budget it would have been better for the effects but it does not disappoint. Very Eerie.
February 27, 2014
Horror with an environmental theme seems like guaranteed tripe, but most of the film focuses on some genuinely creepy ambiance and slow-burn buildup that definitely put me on edge. Unfortunately, while I enjoyed the ride, the ending payoff was questionable, to say the absolute least, and it may have one of the most disappointing final shots (not just endings, but the very last camera cut) of any movie I've ever seen.
½ January 3, 2014
Really, really bad... Really slow throughout. I was hoping it'd pick up eventually but it never did.