The Last Winter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Winter Reviews

October 26, 2013
love it but gave me nightmares
½ October 24, 2013
Subtle social commentary movie on how we're fucking up the planet & depleting its resources that masquerades as a spooky supernatural horror flick & fails. Decent cast, but overall boring & made no sense. Plus I think Guillermo del Toro vouched for it simply because his bud Perlman was in it.
½ October 15, 2013
Suspenseful, but the CGI ruined it, c'mon.
October 10, 2013
Interesting story, which starts with quiet mystery and an uncomfortable general feeling that builds with all kinds of little oddments? Actors do a great job of being isolated, young environmentalists, and quite possibly mad. The camera work is amateurish at best and interferes with the plot too much to really make this film enjoyable. Nibbles: Ice-cream
July 25, 2013
There are some good scenes here, but none of it amounts to much. Often films ask me to believe in the unbelievable, and, if they are good films, I will. I will not for this film. As hokey as the wind spirits looked in Fassenden's earlier film, Wendigo, they were much more convincing, much more frightening. Here, there is no explanation for what they are, only that they are somehow Mother Nature's way to get back at humans for polluting the earth. Why a better plot couldn't have been thought up, who knows. What I do know is that this was a hardly entertaining waste of time. For horror fans, or fans of film in general, skip this one.
July 17, 2013
Disappointing.. Slow.slow.slow. Sorry but just didn't get it. Not spooky. Not scary. The ending was the best bit! (it finished)
½ June 24, 2013
A refreshingly original and scary story which does a great job at entertaining on a budget. Ron Perlman is great in this and it was a treat to see him here! The movie will have you choosing sides: either siding with the oil company or against. And the cg is very good and adds to the creepiness factor. Very original!
½ April 12, 2013
Fessenden's best. Worth three stars alone for the Zach Gilford nudity and the brilliant ending.
January 26, 2013
Fessenden, who directed, produced, cowrote, edited and even has a part in the film rightly values mood at least as much as he does delivering more abominable snow monsters.
December 30, 2012
Really underrated and underexposed indie. I dig creepy out in the frozen wasteland.
October 30, 2012
Effective thriller, but too many empty holes.
October 22, 2012
An ecological plea wrapped skillfully in a skin of horror a la The Thing (The Last Winter is, in fact, a much more apt successor to The Thing's legacy than its own titular sequel from 2011). Presents the consequences of ecological neglect with wonderful atmospheric dread, peppering the issue with gloriously Lovecraftian "things"...lurking beneath the Alaskan permafrost. A highly enjoyable film that plays with the imagination brilliantly.
October 19, 2012
Like the 1960's version of The Haunting, this director knows that what you don't see is more terrifying than what you do. Fassenden's one mistake is to make his monster's momentarily visible at the end. The photography is breathtaking and the mood more chilling than the Alaskan night, making for a very spooky and effective movie experience.
½ October 13, 2012
The Last Winter is an excellent film....it's a pleasure to see a horror movie with a great story,excellent characters and a perfect suspense....the movie is part ecological allegory, part psychological thriller, and a lot of stunning visuals......well worth screening.....
½ October 8, 2012
I liked the movie, but what happened in the end.. she was at a hospital,, the doctor strung himself up, and the noise of the ambulances, and heliocopters above, leaves me to think she is all alone... what happened???????????
September 26, 2012
Moody, atmospheric eco-horror that falls apart in the last act.
½ September 2, 2012
Somewhat effective thriller, somewhat slow drama and somewhat comparable to 'The Happening'.
Not bad but not developed enough to be really good.
Bonus points however for Jeff Grace who turns out a great score.
½ August 18, 2012
It's advertised as "the scariest movie of the year".
It should be advertised as "the worst movie of all time". Something for the Mystery Science Theatre movie piles.
June 16, 2012