Late for Dinner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Late for Dinner Reviews

½ December 7, 2014
Si l'idée de faire un film sur un voyage dans le temps beaucoup plus centré sur l'adaptation des protagonistes principaux à leur nouvelle vie plutôt qu'à la recherche d'un éventuel retour à leur vie antérieure est plutôt intelligente et bien traitée dans Late for Dinner, force est de constater que le film prend bien trop de temps à exposer son intrigue et trop peu de temps dans sa deuxième partie, dans laquelle réside pourtant tout l'intérêt du film. Peter Berg et Marcia Gay Harden sont comme d'habitude très bons, tandis que Janeane Garofalo et Peter Gallagher font ce qu'ils font le mieux. Beaucoup de potentiel gâché.
February 9, 2013
A beautiful film that I just loved. It had the ending that Forever Young should have had, but totally screwed up. Why that movie is considered so romantic and this one did not get the recognition it deserved shows what critics know.
May 31, 2012
This plot has been done before so no surprises here. it was entertaining enough.
½ April 12, 2012
I loved this. Great acting. So sweet.
February 21, 2012
Rent "Late for Dinner" you will love it!
November 4, 2011
How can anyone not love this movie? It is as sweet-natured a film as you will ever see.
½ July 31, 2011
An adorable little movie that while it makes no sense, is still fun to watch. I've dug Brian Wimmer since "China Beach" and Marcia Gay Harden is fantastic in anything she does. Peter Berg was completely convincing as the mildly-challenged Frank and so, so sweet. Not a cinematic triumph but I give it more stars for being just plain NICE!
½ June 19, 2011
I really developed a connection with is film. I think what I like about it is that it is well-acted, involves time travel (a favorite of mine), and has a heart-warming story.

Everyone experiences loss in their lives and who hasn't wished they could right the wrong of losing someone? When the lead characters in this film wake up from a cryogenic freeze, they must adapt to how the world has changed but they also try to put their old lives back together, only to find that it's a complicated, emotional task.

It's not a big budget film and based on reviews it may not be popular with others but it certainly satisfies for me and will always be a favorite for popcorn and a charming story.
June 5, 2011
Worst/best movie I have ever seen
March 21, 2011
One of the only movies I have ever walked out on.
February 26, 2011
A sweet, good natured little flick the charm of which makes one want to overlook the obvious holes in the plot. Two thumbs, way up!
April 4, 2009
the story is abt two best friends, a man and his brother in law who got cryonically frozen in the sixties and woke up in the nineties, 29 years later. plotwise, it is full of holes. it kind of ended abruptly. surprisingly it is touching at times. one poignant comment by one of the character, the purpose of time was so that a lot of things don't have to happen at the same time, which is the overwhelming feeling they got when they ended up in a different time when they were frozen. the movie try to imply that true love transcend time. The guy found that his daughter have grown up with a family of her own, while his wife have grown older and have struggle with the problem of his disappearance. To them they have only sleep and wake up for a few days but to others around them they have gone for decades...
March 16, 2009
I was prepared to put this on my list of Under Appreciated Films, but then it ended, about an hour too early. They don't deal with why or how being stuck in 30 years of cryostasis other than in their personal lives. And since Peter Berg's character is mildly retarded his closure, while nice, isn't enough for me, well none of the closure is. It feels like it ends with the first act. I wanted a lot more out of this one. Forever Young with Mel Gibson does a really good job of dealing with the post sleep sickness of cryostasis where he rapidly ages to catch up to he actual age, here the characters suffer no post sleep ailments and just continue on with their lives. A good sentimental film, but nothing more than fluff.
January 19, 2008
This is a great movie, underappreciated by my book.
iLeo
½ January 6, 2008
An interesting movie.
September 21, 2007
One of those movies that leaves you wondering about the characters after the film ends. I really enjoyed this movie. It's well worth watching.
September 13, 2007
An offbeat, curious little film. Beautifully acted and directed with some fun twists.
September 2, 2007
Great movie that was overlooked by nearly everyone...even in the 90's. Looks like a sappy love story, but it really has some good twists.
½ August 20, 2007
In a similar them to Forever Young and again, another one of those fantasy ones that took me by surprise. Again, I'm a sucker for these and give them much higher ratings when I taken into account the fantasy idea. Very romantic and obviously unrealistic but romantic.
July 19, 2007
Criminally hard to find, this was way better than the similarly-themed Mel Gibson vehicle "Forever Young". An odd mix of comedy, sci-fi, and romance that somehow works beautifully, it also has some spot-on work from Peter Berg, Brian Wimmer and Marcia Gay Harden. Worth hunting down.