Laugh, Clown, Laugh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Laugh, Clown, Laugh Reviews

December 25, 2015
How can you go wrong with a Lon Chaney circus picture? Lon plays a kind hearted circus clown who adopts an abandoned child. The film then picks up years later and the child has now grown into a young woman. Things get complicated (and a tad creepy to modern eyes) when the young woman, played by a 15-year-old Loretta Young, falls in love with a rich man and Lon wants to tell her that he loves her, but doesn't want to complicate her love of the rich man by making her feel obligated to stay with him. Chaney is great playing tragic figures and is wonderful here. And I've never been a huge fan of Loretta Young, but even at 15, she definitely exhibits star quality. Overall, this one isn't a classic, but it's a solid and entertaining melodrama that I can honestly say I didn't know how it would end.
½ June 25, 2012
This is a real tearjerker. Based on the Pagliacci tale of a clown who is broken hearted that the object of his affection refuses his romantic overtures Lon Chaney delivers a performance that emotes without words. An amazing performance that turns a run of the mill movie into a real gem. Highly recomended.
½ June 24, 2012
amazing chaney performance-again!
May 13, 2012
This is one of Chaney's best. He's phenomenal in projecting emotion from one second to the next portraying a clown who must suppress his love for his adopted daughter who is now a grown woman. The tragic story is very moving.
February 28, 2012
Why haven't I heard of Lon Chaney until this week? The man is a ridiculously powerful actor. The movie itself is also a first-rate melodrama.
February 22, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Not only is the story well-crafted and the music great but the actors emote with much more subtlety then most silent-era films.
November 8, 2011
Such a beautiful and sad movie; I never thought a silent film could make me cry. This movie is now on my top 15 of all time.
½ August 14, 2011
interesting melodrama
½ July 13, 2011
Great acting from Cheney, but other than that, the story is predictable. It's that old story of a guy who just happens to find a young girl, raises her like a daughter and then falls in love with her when she is older. The ending was really good too. Overall, it's a pretty good movie, but it would have been better if the story weren't so predictable.
May 31, 2011
December 11, 2010
January 12, 2010
The story of a clown who finds a child abandoned, and decides to raise her with the circus. When the child is all grown up, the clown falls in love with her, even though he knows in his heart that it is wrong. While I thought this was a good Lon Chaney film, I thought the part where the clown fell in love with his adopted child, was disturbing.
½ January 9, 2010
Beautiful but very sad. A happier alternative ending was apparently shot, but may have been destroyed... a shame, it would have been interesting to see. Another impressive score from a winner of the TCM Young Film Composers Competition.
October 18, 2009
Another great Chaney performance in a wonderfully tragic melodrama.
July 9, 2009
This is probably my favorite Lon Chaney movie. Although I find I can't take my eyes off him with any of his movies.
January 16, 2009
My favorite movie of all time
½ January 7, 2009
Another great piece of work from Lon chaney as a succesful italian clown desperatly in love with a young girl...
August 5, 2008
"Laugh, clown, laugh...even though your heart is breaking!"

Lon Chaney is brilliant, Loretta Young is gorgeous, the plot is classically tragic, and there are clowns! You can't ask for more than that.
March 3, 2008
One of the most touching films I've ever seen.