Lawless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lawless Reviews

February 19, 2016
My all time favourite. If you love badass western movies then this is a must see. Tom Hardy... Bravo
January 27, 2016
Needed more gary oldman
January 16, 2016
Lawless has it's great intense moments build up on knowledge about that time. Bar from the tense moments it's a casual film, that's could've been done far worse. Tom Hardy, Oscar nominee 2016, was not exceptional as he can be. The film is good in a whole but nothing extraordinary.
December 19, 2015
Lawless isn't flawless, but boy was it a good time. This is one badass, gun-blazing, gangster movie. It's piled high with action. The story is not treated as fascinatingly, and perhaps character development needed some fine tuning. But you can't say anything bad about the acting. Tom Hardy.. again, he might be the actor of our time. Shia does an incredible job here. There's a real actor hiding behind all of that craziness. Then, there's Guy Pierce, who absolutely steals every scene as the bad guy. What a monster. Nothing beats well acted evil in a film, and he pulls it off Christoph Waltz-style. That haircut will haunt your nightmares. Over all, this is a highly underrated film. It may look on the surface to be as bland as a cancelled HBO mini-series. Don't judge the book by it's cover. Give it a watch.
½ December 13, 2015
The movie was as savage and reckless as its title implies and the characters were played with passion, but the villain is ridiculous and the story is loose, with no structure to keep us focused. It boiled down to a bunch of moonshine, yelling and bare knuckle brawls.
November 27, 2015
Just watched the trailer....Hope the movie lives up to it!
½ November 25, 2015
I liked to see this period piece the best part of this movie centres around Tom hardy and his performance and that characters story. I thought this was an ok movie.
½ November 4, 2015
Wasn't expecting much so I was very surprised how great this movie was. One of the best casts I've seen thrown together in quite awhile
October 31, 2015
Not a terrible visit to the backcountry hills of ol'Virginny (as English and Australian actors continue to overrun Yank filmography) where some moonshiners run afoul of duh law (vilely personified herein by Guy Pearce, Australian, with hissy fits aplenty). Leading the good guys (that'd be the moonshiners in this biopic) is I'm-wearing-muh-hat-lo'-so-yah-cahn't-see-muh-eyes Tom Hardy (English, I believe) who is as tough as your mother-in-law drunk and passed out on the couch which she just peed on, your couch. Jason Clarke (another Aussie) is the muscle middle brother, and Gary Oldman (English, forcryinoutloud) is a rival in the mix as well. Are there any Yanks in this story about the real America (where everyone wears their hats down over their eyes)? They're only in supporting roles. And they get whupped. Real bad. I blame the Aussie director, duh. The movie's okay though.
½ October 22, 2015
This is a great film! First of all, the film looks incredible, serious props to the cinematographer. Secondly the pacing is great and the dialogue also is electrical. My favorite part of the film however has to be the incredible cast between: Tom Hardy (one of my favorites), Jessica Chastain, Gary Oldman, Jason Clarke and Guy Pierce. I even liked Shia LaBeouf and I normally hate him! I highly recommend this film!
October 8, 2015
Certainly gritty, with Tom Hardy giving the most prominent performance as the head bootlegger. Away from the usual city setting for Prohibition period gangster films, this feels a less sexy film for this genre, but it's no less violent or intense.
½ October 7, 2015
Decent movie but should have been much better. A lot of good actors, but it was missing something from it. I didn't expect much going in but should have been better.
September 25, 2015
I was impressed by the ensemble cast assembled for this period piece (even Shia LaBeouf who I am not giving up on). This particular story from history, which is really a localized family story of the Bondurant Brothers told by a descendant in novel form, is not a story of consequence for most viewers. These small time characters just do not have the mythic proportions that some of the gangsters from the Depression-era have. The costumes and production design are alright and Tom Hardy tries to make his character a force to be reckoned with, but the parts never congeal.
½ September 24, 2015
I certainly wouldn't call it a smart film, but Lawless is an engaging, well acted drama with a stellar cast. The movie pulls a couple of great tricks: 1) making an on-the-surface boring premise really compelling and 2) making Shia LaBeouf genuinely tolerable.
The problem is that there really isn't anything beneath the surface, no grander theme a la an Unforgiven. Most characters are well played archetypes, and aren't bothered with being given dimension. It won't challenge you as a watcher to decipher its meaning, and is very much 'what you see is what you get.' Fortunately, what you see is visually lush, with well composed shots and a very period-accurate feel.
September 19, 2015
A film that I needed in my life in this point in time.
½ September 6, 2015
75%
Saw this on 6/9/15
The well shot Lawless is ruined by it's own lack of ambition and fluctuating impetus on it's heroes. it's well acted on the whole and I believe Guy Pearce gives a stand out performance (just as in Hannibal, his make up gives him leverage).
½ August 25, 2015
"It's not about the money, it's about the principle."
August 21, 2015
Loved everything about Lawless, except for the dramatic performances. It was every bit savage, brutal, fun and interesting, but when it came time for the sad/happy scenes, I felt nothing. There was a missing ingredient, the one that gets you to care for the characters; to feel moved when something bad happens to them. There was none of that to be found. Or maybe all the episodes of Dexter/Breaking Bad/Walking Dead have left me emotionality void....ruh rohhh!

;)
½ August 13, 2015
Wow! This was very, very long. It was good though. Deep story.
½ August 13, 2015
I Enjoyed it - never heard of the Bondurant Brothers but this flick grew on me. Glad i watched it. Solid, not a classic but solid