The Lawnmower Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lawnmower Man Reviews

May 11, 2014
Both a cyberpunk retelling of Frankenstein and bastardization of Stephen King's short story of the same name, The Lawnmower Man is made worse by its preposterous plot twists, dated effects, and ham acting.
½ April 28, 2014
"Virtual reality holds the key to human evolution of the mind, and that is my focus!"-Dr Lawrence Angelo (Pierce Brosnan)

The next step in the Frankenstien saga. Man is playing God, not with the body, but the mind.
April 26, 2014
sci fi classic virtual reality and super computer scientific experiment boots a every day gardeners mind and turn him into a genius but he used it to a villian
½ April 17, 2014
Hated it. Plain and simple.
March 11, 2014
(34%)
Despite the always solid Brosnan at the helm, this still manages to be too weak scripted for its own good as the plot boils down to a simple man gets experimented on, he becomes dangerous and powerful, the end. The secret lab base is one of the most ridiculous examples of set design ever. It looks so dark and depressing, and by the looks of things most of the workers have either killed themselves or simply left as every time it's shown it's almost completely void of people. This very well might be the first movie ever made in which more time and effort was spent on computer effects than the script itself. A true pioneer of CGI driven junk cinema.
½ February 17, 2014
A strange movie, that is for sure. While I complement its efforts to use CGI at the time it was made to show us the possibilities of "virtual reality", this flick becomes progressively dated over time in spite of its interesting ideas. Those ideas also don't quite come together in a logical manner. Although the prospect of a world takeover such as this -- let alone by an individual who has advanced in a freakily fast manner -- would be eerie, it lacks the necessary tension, thus depriving it of any terror or suspense. I suppose it does convey tragedy for the title character as it's "Frankenstein" meets "Flowers for Algernon" booted up in the 90's. Decent acting and cool visuals aren't quite enough to overcome its weak script and lack of depth in exploring religious upbringing and scientific progress. Not a bad affair but also not well-done. If you're expecting an inspirational true story about the world's greatest lawnmower, then this movie is not for you. But if you're also expecting an adaptation of the Stephen King short story, then you're also out of luck.
½ December 20, 2013
based on a king short story which king later sued to have his name removed that should tell ya something
½ November 8, 2013
Extremely dull sci-fi flick that has absolutely nothing to do with the Stephen King short story. The cast is terrible and the movie just seems to drag on without ever seeming to end. The special effects may have been decent back in the early 90s but are very dated now. Really no reason at all to see this film.
October 13, 2013
Has some interesting ideas and a good start, but it's definitely outdated and the story runs thin towards the end.
September 15, 2013
The extended version of this film, if you can find it, is way better and makes much more sense! That being said, this is a fairly good film for its time, although the effects do not hold up too well by today's standards. It is a Frankenstein tale, with the mad scientist creating a brilliant mind in Jobe, a mild mannered and mentally impaired lawnmower man. Using virtual reality and psychotropic drugs, he transforms Jobe into a super genius. Unfortunately, the people this scientist works for are war mongering assholes who have their own sick agenda for Jobe, and end up sneaking in more aggressive drugs that transform Jobe into a monster! The premise of the film is brilliant, however the big flaw in this film is it is not really as creepy or scary as it should be. Do not get me wrong though, there are really great moments in this, including a scene with a mind-controlled lawn mower that almost made me pee in my pants! And Jobes revenge against the priest that beat him, wow, shocking! The film could have done without the lame love story between Jobe and the dumb blond skank. Also, the love story between the scientist and his sexually frustrated woman is way better in the extended version. Some of the special effects still look really cool to this day, especially the scene where Jobe breaks apart someones body at a molecular level! Sadly, the scene at the end where Jobe is birthed into the computer system as a new life form does not hold up well today. Overall, the film was a very ambitious and entertaining attempt to explore the dangers of virtual reality, but the technology of the times was not quite up to par with the ambition! Jeff Fahey was the big standout in this and I thought he gave a damn good and emotionally intense and creepy performance. I believe he could have done more with this roll if given more opportunity,but he does the best he can in spite of the circumstances! I love him and I think he is sorely understated as an actor. A good film that could have been a masterpiece. Very cool and creepy music too.
½ September 5, 2013
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. The plot is interesting, and the actors do an alright job with the material.
½ June 25, 2013
Has a lot of predictable moments, but not bad for the year.
May 24, 2013
A benevolent scientist tests his new experiment on a mentally retarded lawnmower man; the experiment is a virtual reality computer program that makes him grow more and more intelligent, to the point where he starts to develop extra sensorial powers and getting revenge on the people that brutally taunted him. Sometimes laughable, this film was acknowledged for its once considered ground breaking virtual reality special effects, which the film heavily relies on and are now brutally outdated.
April 28, 2013
took VR to a new meaning in its day still love it
½ April 21, 2013
It was all right. Seeing Jeff Fahey as the titular character I just couldn't help but picture Sting in Dune.
March 18, 2013
There's always been a Stephen King film i haven't watched..
March 4, 2013
I hated this movie. Notable for its heavy use of early computer animation.
½ February 28, 2013
Unfortunately, the movie is only very loosely based on the short story by Mr King. It has a lawnmower and at one point it is controlled by the mind of the protagonist. Outside of that, it is a palpable piece of dross. On my never to see again while sober list.
February 14, 2013
Brainstorm was from 1983. And what about 1902's Trip to the Moon? Where does science fiction give way to virtual reality?
January 22, 2013
Boring and stupid. But better than the sequel...