The Lawnmower Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lawnmower Man Reviews

October 13, 2013
Has some interesting ideas and a good start, but it's definitely outdated and the story runs thin towards the end.
September 15, 2013
The extended version of this film, if you can find it, is way better and makes much more sense! That being said, this is a fairly good film for its time, although the effects do not hold up too well by today's standards. It is a Frankenstein tale, with the mad scientist creating a brilliant mind in Jobe, a mild mannered and mentally impaired lawnmower man. Using virtual reality and psychotropic drugs, he transforms Jobe into a super genius. Unfortunately, the people this scientist works for are war mongering assholes who have their own sick agenda for Jobe, and end up sneaking in more aggressive drugs that transform Jobe into a monster! The premise of the film is brilliant, however the big flaw in this film is it is not really as creepy or scary as it should be. Do not get me wrong though, there are really great moments in this, including a scene with a mind-controlled lawn mower that almost made me pee in my pants! And Jobes revenge against the priest that beat him, wow, shocking! The film could have done without the lame love story between Jobe and the dumb blond skank. Also, the love story between the scientist and his sexually frustrated woman is way better in the extended version. Some of the special effects still look really cool to this day, especially the scene where Jobe breaks apart someones body at a molecular level! Sadly, the scene at the end where Jobe is birthed into the computer system as a new life form does not hold up well today. Overall, the film was a very ambitious and entertaining attempt to explore the dangers of virtual reality, but the technology of the times was not quite up to par with the ambition! Jeff Fahey was the big standout in this and I thought he gave a damn good and emotionally intense and creepy performance. I believe he could have done more with this roll if given more opportunity,but he does the best he can in spite of the circumstances! I love him and I think he is sorely understated as an actor. A good film that could have been a masterpiece. Very cool and creepy music too.
½ September 5, 2013
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. The plot is interesting, and the actors do an alright job with the material.
½ June 25, 2013
Has a lot of predictable moments, but not bad for the year.
May 24, 2013
A benevolent scientist tests his new experiment on a mentally retarded lawnmower man; the experiment is a virtual reality computer program that makes him grow more and more intelligent, to the point where he starts to develop extra sensorial powers and getting revenge on the people that brutally taunted him. Sometimes laughable, this film was acknowledged for its once considered ground breaking virtual reality special effects, which the film heavily relies on and are now brutally outdated.
April 28, 2013
took VR to a new meaning in its day still love it
½ April 21, 2013
It was all right. Seeing Jeff Fahey as the titular character I just couldn't help but picture Sting in Dune.
March 18, 2013
There's always been a Stephen King film i haven't watched..
March 4, 2013
I hated this movie. Notable for its heavy use of early computer animation.
½ February 28, 2013
Unfortunately, the movie is only very loosely based on the short story by Mr King. It has a lawnmower and at one point it is controlled by the mind of the protagonist. Outside of that, it is a palpable piece of dross. On my never to see again while sober list.
February 14, 2013
Brainstorm was from 1983. And what about 1902's Trip to the Moon? Where does science fiction give way to virtual reality?
January 22, 2013
Boring and stupid. But better than the sequel...
½ January 20, 2013
For me The Lawnmower Man is a modern-day retelling of the classic Frankenstein story. A Scientist is attempting to reach new ground for the interest of science and the good of mankind. In the process he creates a monster who runs amuck and he is left wishing he'd left well alone, although totally fascinated with the results at the same time.
Dr. Lawrence Angelo (Pierce Brosnan) is one such scientist. He is employed by Cybertech to work with chimpanzees to increase their mental capacity and to train them in war tactics via the use of virtual reality and drugs. He disagrees where his research is leading and leaves the company. Unable to let his research go he begins experimenting again, this time with a human subject. He chooses a local Lawnmower Man who is a little simple and attempts to increase his intellect with dire consequences.

The main talking point with The Lawnmower Man is the special effects. It says on the front of the DVD that I watched something along the lines of; stunning visuals, better than Terminator 2. This is simply not the case, but the graphics were ground-breaking at the time. Not because they were that advanced, but because these were the first virtual reality graphics in a movie. The Lawnmower Man is the first movie to cover this topic (as far as I am aware). Audiences seem to be divided on whether they are very good or not. I feel that they could have been a lot better if the technology was used in a better way. In the hands of a different director perhaps. I can't image what Stanley Kubrick could have done with this movie. For example, the scene of the lawnmower man running over Jakes Brain and the scene where Father Francis McKeen is set on fire.

I feel that Jeff Fahey (who played Jobe) gave a good performance. I don't think he did anything that amazing but he delivered the role well. Since Lawnmower man he has gone on the do many other roles, one of my favourites is as J.T. in Planet Terror. He has become quite the cult icon nowadays.
I'm afraid the same can't be said for Pierce Brosnan, oh dear Pierce ... oh dear. In the early 90's big things were in the pipeline for Mr. Brosnan, but unfortunately The Lawnmower Man wasn't one of them.

Having said all this I do enjoy watching The Lawnmower Man. It's one of those films where you can just "switch your brain off". You can sit back, relax and be mildly entertained by this weird yet satisfying story, and they don't get much weirder than this. Having cyber sex, becoming joined together in the form of a butterfly before turning into a monster and firing red spit at your partner. I wouldn't recommend The Lawnmower Man, but if you enjoy weird SCI-FI thrillers then feel free to give it as go.

Coming back to what I was saying at the start, as with Frankenstein, The Lawnmower Man is a movie with a message too. That some things are better left alone than meddled with, and that Technological advancement can be dangerous..."Lawnmower Man's in your head now Jake".
December 11, 2012
I thought this movie was a little weird and odd and the film starred Pierce Brosnan, the film is loosely based on a short story by Stephen King, it starred Jeff Fahey and Jenny Wright, I own it on DVD
½ December 7, 2012
A very good movie, re-watch to understand it more, enjoyable.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ November 13, 2012
Interesting idea for a Sci Fi horror film, but lacks any real sense of wonder. By today's standards the film looks very dated and it plays out like a cheap low budget horror flick. Overall this is a decent affair with nothing really special going for it. The film suffers from an ambitious scope that is limited by a so-so script. I was looking forward to seeing this, but in the end it's nothing too remarkable. Acting wise, the actors are pretty decent, nothing ever good or bad. This film could have been much better and with a concept like this, it's a shame that there was nothing memorable about the film. As a whole, The Lawnmower Man is worth seeing, but is not the type of film that warrants multiple viewings. This is the type of film that may have looked good on paper, but the execution is kind of weak, and you realize that the film doesn't fulfill its full potential. There has been another film that would explore virtual reality as a vehicle for horror and that film is Brainscan, which is a far superior movie than this. Overall, The Lawnmower Man is decent entertainment, but ultimately is forgettable in the long run. I think it's a great shame because I really liked the idea behind the plot, however the execution leaves a lot to be desired, and it could have been done better. There are times where things get silly, especially near the end. Some aspects could also have rewritten and you just end up wanting more out of this film. Throughout the film, you just realize that there's something missing to really make it a worthwhile horror experience.
½ November 6, 2012
nothing like the short story
½ October 31, 2012
An awful horror sci-fi. Was Stephen King even trying?
½ September 16, 2012
Featuring out-dated graphics even for its time, and a horribly written script, The Lawnmower Man is a sad excuse for a Stephen King adaptation and a poor science fiction film.
½ September 3, 2012
Great technology for 20 years ago. Interesting to think what could have been and how technology has advanced since then, when it was a scary future possibility.