Laws of Gravity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Laws of Gravity Reviews

May 1, 2013
Amazing little indie!!! Total gem
½ March 27, 2013
When 'Laws of Gravity' first came out, I was 13 years old, and I thought it was a documentary. It stuck with me ever since, and as I watch it again years later, only for the second time, it's baffling how such a bad group of actors, could pull off something not only this good, but this realistic. It almost feels like an HBO doc, as you follow these people around.

It's a 100 minute movie, that feels like 40, because the time just flies by - and when it ends, it leaves you wondering 'what happened next?' Seriously, I wanna know - what happened next?
February 12, 2013
Loved it!! One of my favs!!!
½ August 14, 2012
Somehow this one slipped by me. I shoulda seen this ages ago. My kinda movie. Anyway, it's a great movie and I normally hate handheld camerawork but the cinematography here is phenomenal. And the performances are all great and the writing is top notch. I can see why this was so misunderstood when it came out. Wasn't the right climate in independent film. It was a weird time. Anyway, it rules.
June 9, 2012
One of the freshest indies of the 1990s, Laws of Gravity offers an ultra-realistic depiction of terrifying nihilism. The characters seem so real that this film could be mistaken for a documentary.
May 22, 2012
This movie has enough acting to get you moved. Superb arguementing involving the the two small town crooks and the camera is always filming something exciting.
April 30, 2012
"Laws of Gravity" is about a bunch of violent, foul-mouthed people whose daily activities consist of shoplifting, drinking, smoking, and getting in fights with each other. In fact, so many small conversations escalate into full-on brawls that it actually becomes humorous to watch them carry on. Director Nick Gomez does an excellent job of depicting real life in Brooklyn, doing so with long takes and a handheld camera, and both the writing and the acting are top-notch. "Laws of Gravity" isn't about story, but rather about a way of life that most of us are unfamiliar with.
September 19, 2011
An indie film from the 90's with superb acting. Good acting usually is the mirror of great direction, and that was something definitely present in this movie. Nick Gomez did an amazing job in his debut film, giving a sense of realism throughout the whole picture, with a remarkable camera work that helped with that. Shot in only 12 days, Laws of Gravity contains several long takes really well made. It was also filmed with less than 40000 $.

A film made with passion and acted with spirit. Its painful and tragic ending was wonderful. It has some similarities with Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets; both are movies filmed similarly, and films where it seems that nothing happened but it stroke us with an overwhelming ending.

Peter Greene was very good in his film debut. Edie Falco, Adam Trese, Paul Schulze and Arabella Field were also fantastic in this film.

Everybody should check out this film. It's really good actually.
September 19, 2011

Everybody should check out this film. It's really good actually.
½ January 10, 2011
good gritty character driven indie
½ July 29, 2010
I really enjoyed this movie!

How very horrifying and how very unfortunate that it has no ending to speak of...
November 12, 2008
Nick Gomez is one of the best directors of realistic violence and this movie is an example of that!
½ July 23, 2008
Another 90's Indie classic.
December 28, 2007
fucking awesome movie yall! and my old hood in the background yall!
½ December 18, 2007
Early Nick Gomez at his urban naturalistic best. Small time hoods in Brooklyn talking shit (brilliant vernacular dialogue) and courting death. THE SHIZNIK!!!
September 3, 2007
one of the best films I saw at the cinema
I left the cinema in a hazy daze
½ August 31, 2007
this movie is a minor miracle. super low budget, unknown actors (at the time), and one of the sharpest, leanest scripts you'll see from a debut film. you'll see a few pre-sopranos performances here that are really great (incl. edie falco) peter green and adam trese are also amazing. i read somewhere that gomez modeled the film after 'mean streets' and it shows, while still being fresh and compelling.
August 24, 2007
I love this movie. I can never find it to rent it though. I used to have the VHS and I watched it several times.
July 26, 2007
Virtually unknown, Nick Gomez' debut is a cinema verite masterpiece. It's almost as though you were watching a documentary. With a very strong cast, Gomez updates Mean Streets but with a completely unique vision. Adam Trese is brilliant as Jon, a foolish thug protected by Jimmy. But as the tagline explains, sooner or later, everything goes down.