Laws of Gravity Reviews

• Dec 15, 2020

OMG when I saw this I was like it was half the abhorrent morons I used to see around growing up. The way it was shot I thought I was back in the Bronx (except they're in Brooklyn). A $38,000 ($70k today) budget and it is better than most of Disney's multimillion live version of their animation garbage crappola. It was real as I mean I seen these people around. Thank heavens I kept my nose clean, did my homework & played ball as I could have fell in with the egregious wastes. Denise (Falco) and Jimmy are married. The girl works and tries to be clean while Greene (jimmy) is a wannabe hood and doesn't have a real job. (Mayor Giuliani NYC of the 90's you really had to be an idiot if you couldn't get a job) A friend comes back from Florida gun running and they hang out (drinking & smoking) in a low and out neighborhood bar. The other couple (Terese & Field) are just losers and you make a couple from losers the sum of a double negative isn't English syntax as you get a positive : in life the sum is even 2 bigger inept moron that comes from the union . I felt like I was back at school at Fordham University looking at the inefficacious group a few tables away (we were the college boys & girls) at Van Courtland Park picnicking. The way it was filmed you feel as if you're there. You can tell a lot of ad lib.

• Nov 02, 2020

A truly good movie we'll put together great actors great storyline and really seems like it could happen to somebody someday watch this movie I really enjoy it

• Apr 28, 2013

Amazing little indie!!! Total gem

Amazing little indie!!! Total gem

• Mar 27, 2013

When 'Laws of Gravity' first came out, I was 13 years old, and I thought it was a documentary. It stuck with me ever since, and as I watch it again years later, only for the second time, it's baffling how such a bad group of actors, could pull off something not only this good, but this realistic. It almost feels like an HBO doc, as you follow these people around. It's a 100 minute movie, that feels like 40, because the time just flies by - and when it ends, it leaves you wondering 'what happened next?' Seriously, I wanna know - what happened next?

• Feb 12, 2013

Loved it!! One of my favs!!!

Loved it!! One of my favs!!!

• Aug 14, 2012

Somehow this one slipped by me. I shoulda seen this ages ago. My kinda movie. Anyway, it's a great movie and I normally hate handheld camerawork but the cinematography here is phenomenal. And the performances are all great and the writing is top notch. I can see why this was so misunderstood when it came out. Wasn't the right climate in independent film. It was a weird time. Anyway, it rules.

• Jul 19, 2012

A film about loyalty, friends, and a death spiral. This is the unpolished version of a million gangster/petty criminal films before it. This film is not a traditional one. This is not your mom's Sound of Music movie. [img]http://content.internetvideoarchive.com/content/photos/097/004089_26.jpg[/img] People really talk like this with all this Bronx dialect stuff and snappy patter? What a bunch of jive talkin losers this film presents. You can see the first of a youtube.com installments here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBmArpXy2s The only believable character in this film is the lead one, Jimmy. He knows what is stupid, he is advises his friends of their stupid behavior. He avoids problematic behaviour. He is the best thing about this film. Most of all, he is sober. These petty criminals live together like cockroaches and the men bring home the spoils of thier day to their women who gloat over them. They live like pigs, they talk like pigs, they are pigs. [img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/laws-of-gravity/w448/laws-of-gravity.jpg?1294442148[/img] These are my first impressions of this palmcamera movie. The film begs the question, what is so bad about a getting a job that is legal? If you can't get a legal gig, I suppose shoplifting and simple burglery is the only thing left. But my point is this: In great Oscar winning film THE STING, one of the most memorable moments is when Paul Newman reflects on his life of crime. He notes, when criminal activity gets to be like a legal job, its time to get out. And so he runs a merry go round in his old age. The problem is these characters are rebels, nonconformists, people with a real issue with society and the rat race. This film, while beginning interesting, is one series of Bronx chatter and men bossing young women as their fathers have done for decades before them. It is SO repetitive. This is nothing but a series of scenes edited together. Is it realistic? Well, I guess so. But like Hollywood does so well, it is a characature of real life. Besides, if Hollywood made truely realistic films done in real time, it would take an 8 hour film to capture it. This is a good film for fans of low budget cinema. This film would be better titled: My Brother's Keeper [img]http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/8/A70-4086[/img] REVIEWS: 80% One of the freshest indies of the 1990s, Laws of Gravity offers an ultra-realistic depiction of terrifying nihilism. The characters seem so real that... 80% "Laws of Gravity" is about a bunch of violent, foul-mouthed people whose daily activities consist of shoplifting, drinking, smoking, and getting in fi... Cast Peter Greene - Jimmy Edie Falco - Denise Adam Trese - Jon Arabella Field - Celia Paul Schulze - Frankie Saul Stein - Sal Tony Fernandez - Tommy Larry Meistrich - Pete James Michael McCauley - Kenny (as James McCauley) Rick Groel - Kevin Anibal O. Lleras - Rey (as Anibel Leirras) John Gallagher - Bobby David Troup - Sullivan Miguel Sierra - Vasquez David Tuttle - Ted Directed by Nick Gomez Produced by Bob Gosse Larry Meistrich Written by Nick Gomez Starring Peter Greene Cinematography Jean de Segonzac Editing by Tom McArdle Distributed by RKO Pictures Release date(s) March 21, 1992 (1992-03-21) Running time 100 minutes Country United States Language English [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1d/Laws_of_Gravity_FilmPoster.jpeg/220px-Laws_of_Gravity_FilmPoster.jpeg[/img]

• May 22, 2012

This movie has enough acting to get you moved. Superb arguementing involving the the two small town crooks and the camera is always filming something exciting.

• Stephen E Super Reviewer
    Apr 30, 2012

"Laws of Gravity" is about a bunch of violent, foul-mouthed people whose daily activities consist of shoplifting, drinking, smoking, and getting in fights with each other. In fact, so many small conversations escalate into full-on brawls that it actually becomes humorous to watch them carry on. Director Nick Gomez does an excellent job of depicting real life in Brooklyn, doing so with long takes and a handheld camera, and both the writing and the acting are top-notch. "Laws of Gravity" isn't about story, but rather about a way of life that most of us are unfamiliar with.

• Sep 19, 2011

An indie film from the 90's with superb acting. Good acting usually is the mirror of great direction, and that was something definitely present in this movie. Nick Gomez did an amazing job in his debut film, giving a sense of realism throughout the whole picture, with a remarkable camera work that helped with that. Shot in only 12 days, Laws of Gravity contains several long takes really well made. It was also filmed with less than 40000 $. A film made with passion and acted with spirit. Its painful and tragic ending was wonderful. It has some similarities with Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets; both are movies filmed similarly, and films where it seems that nothing happened but it stroke us with an overwhelming ending. Peter Greene was very good in his film debut. Edie Falco, Adam Trese, Paul Schulze and Arabella Field were also fantastic in this film. Everybody should check out this film. It's really good actually.