Lay the Favorite - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ April 29, 2014
one of the worst movies I ever seen. Really boring. Not even funny
Harlequin68
½ April 27, 2014
In "Lay the Favorite," Beth(Rebecca Hall) figures it is time to get out of the private dancing business when the customers start to get creepy. So, seeking a change of scenery, she moves to Las Vegas to become a cocktail waitress. Except it is not that easy. But through Holly(Laura Prepon), she learns that Dink(Bruce Willis) is hiring for his gambling business. Not only does he hire Beth but Dink takes a real liking to her which sort of does not sit well with his wife Tulip(Catherine Zeta-Jones).

"Lay the Favorite" proves the old adage that any movie that has more of Vince Vaughn than Wendell Pierce is in serious trouble. That's actually the least of this lackuster movie's problems because maybe there could have been a decent movie made about these real life gamblers but this is not it. As much a rut as director Stephen Frears has been in lately("Philomena" succeeded mostly due to the quality of its performances), his work could never be described as slap dash until now, as this movie definitely feels rushed with a definite lack of singular direction. At least, Rebecca Hall is a joy being cast supremely against type while also sharing rapport with Catherine Zeta-Jones in their scenes together.
April 24, 2014
Clearly it was made just for the money and not the script. Don't play the odds. Just walk away from the table. Buy your date a drink instead. I just can't understand why this was made.
April 2, 2014
I thought this was an enjoyable little film. A good popcorn and movie night flick.
½ March 4, 2014
Bruce Willis is my favorite actor but what was this? No depth to the plot at all...no connections nothing; it was a tangled mess with A list talent. Bruce Willis is a known gambler who is very Successful as the dink. He hires Lily played by Rebecca Hall and soon she brings him good luck. When his wife gets jealous he fires her, starts losing money, then brings her back hoping the luck with return. Then he fires her again...it's just a mess with no direction in sight.
February 9, 2014
Absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen - and it has Bruce Willis and is set in Vegas!
½ February 1, 2014
The film is a mess, teeter-tottering between two separately weighty plot points, one that arrives in the middle and seems to lead up to the end of the film when 50 minutes actually remain. Nevertheless, Rebecca Hall's performance, however punctuated by irritating chirps and lip curls, is compelling in its ability to capture the mind of a commonly seen modern female, attuned to behaving ditzy for acceptance and promotion yet sharp and strong in her own way. I couldn't help admiring her flexibility as an actress.
January 23, 2014
Le faltó punch, grandes actores para una película malita
½ January 16, 2014
Amazing cast, Amazing world of betting but the film flounders it all with a very weak screenplay. Film looses it steam mid way. The worst part is the third act. Only watchable for the talented cast
½ January 11, 2014
Probably the worst movie I have ever seen.... Only finished it 'cause we paid for it. Zero fluidity, very poor storyline... Full of holes, hard to follow, cheesy boring script. Attempts to include moral life lessons and love stories were entirely unsuccessful . R. Hall was horrendous - trying to mix-up her ditsy slut role by adding a bit of drama to her acting did NOT work.

We chose this movie based on Bruce Willis ' and Catherine Zeta Jones' involvement . It is shocking they were willing to associate themselves with this film. They were OK in their roles with what they had to work with .... Crap. Do not watch this movie. Life is too short.
½ January 8, 2014
I didn't know a movie w/ Bruce Willis, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Joshua Jackson could be so bad
January 3, 2014
A waste of talent...
½ December 30, 2013
Weird movie. Not sure why they made the movie from what is a real life story.
½ December 14, 2013
There wasn't much to this movie.
½ December 3, 2013
What a poorly developed, poorly finished film. Wills, Vaughn, and Jones just play terrible copies of better character types from other films of there's and Hall is just goofy in the lead, it's like she's channeling Elizabeth Berkley from Showgirls with out any of the edge or sex appeal... like the movie it's just sad
October 28, 2013
I like Rebecca Hall :)
October 25, 2013
great cast had to see Rebecca and Laura hang out
½ October 15, 2013
What the hell was that about?! Im shocked...