Le Bal (Ballando Ballando) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Bal (Ballando Ballando) Reviews

½ April 17, 2014
A terrific way to tell a part of the french History. From popular culture and making a homage to musical and dance films.
June 6, 2011
A fascinating film that manages to tell multiple stories about multiple characters without any dialogue whatsoever. Films like this don't get made anymore. The use of dance and body language to tell the characters' stories is beyond brilliant. Highly recommended.
½ May 11, 2011
My new favorite movie.
½ November 10, 2010
A film without dialogue representing 50 years of ballroom dancing. It's very corny and not entertaining.
½ August 4, 2010
Ettore Scola is the most playful director I've ever seen. But sometimes, playing cinema without hidden cards, makes his enjoyable films/experiences unfulfillable though. Anyway i can't deny his deep faith and extremely fresh ideas in Le Bal.
July 25, 2010
Really relaxing to watch a film without speech and just listen to the music. Still, witty and without nonsential filler dances.
½ October 19, 2009
"Le Bal" vypravi pribeh o jednom tanecnim sale a jeho majitelich, osudech tancechtivych navstevniku, promenach hudebnich a tanecnich stylu i zasadnich mylnicich dejin Francie XX. stoleti. A to vse bez jedineho slova. Od uvodnich titulku, ktere podkresluji zabery na zeny postupne prichazejici do tancirny je zrejme, ze tady pujde o neco velkeho:-) Pak uz nam jsou skrze tanecni parket servirovany emoce, nemenne ritualy tanecniku i atmosfera dob davno minulych. Zejmena povalecna "americka vlna" s prvnim servirovanim a ochutnanim coly pobavila:-) Strhujici podivanou dokresluje perfektne vybrana dobova hudba od Edith Piaf az po Beatles doprovazejici obdobi studentske revolty 68.
June 4, 2009
Absolutely magical. Watched it again after 20 years. Getting even better:)
February 7, 2009
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
½ November 16, 2008
May be my favourite.
November 8, 2008
Sometimes this becomes boring, but this movie is so unique that deservers no less than five stars.
August 9, 2008
quiero volver a verla. una de las mejores peliculas que vi en mi vida. Scola, un maestro.
June 22, 2008
One of my favorites. Without any words you will travel through 50 years of music, social life and clothing changes - in one ballroom.
May 18, 2008
Estranho como um filme tao esquematico e conceitual pode ser tao sensivel. E estranho que um filme sem falas passe tao rapido e seja tao leve e convidativo. Estranho que um filme que reduz personagens (e, mais que isso, movimentos e classes sociais) a arquetipos possa ser tao inteligente. Abaixo o cinema-literatura!
February 25, 2008
Obok Koyaanisqatsi jest to najlepszy film bez dialogów - z tych które widzia?em of kors.
December 21, 2007
If I have one favorite movie, it would have to be this one. I saw it at the Old Mayfield in Cleveland, Ohio when it was new and as soon as it was on video, I grabbed a copy. I see it at least once a year, and each time I find something new. My favorite part is the transitions between time periods, especially the one where we go from the evening Paris was liberated from the Nazis to about 2 years later when all the Parisians are trying to copy their style from American movies.

This movie takes the viewer through a real emotional roller coaster -- something to laugh at one minute and almost crying the next.
November 14, 2007
Magic without a word, just musique, dance and marvellous actors...
Gracie Ettore !
October 28, 2007
"Le Bal" (1983) is a silent film directed by Ettore Scola, based on a play written by Jean-Claude Penchenat. In it, Scola gives us a glimpse of French history in the 20th century, reflecting how everything that happened in that country affected a beautiful ballroom and the people that loved to go there to dance.

Pay close attention to music, fashion and moods, and you will notice how much they change from period to period. For example, it is quite interesting to compare what happened in the ballroom in 1936 to the way things were in the early 1980s. I think that there are different ways to study history, and this film is so well-made that it is could easily be considered one of them. Recommended...
October 26, 2007
A movie without words or dialogues, only the power of expressions and music. A wonderful movie to understand the story of a country, the ralation between men and women through the 20th century..
October 23, 2007
A history of dance by viewing a French dance hall through the decades, laughter, passion, dance - and no dialogue! just the music. I saw it 25 years ago and still remember some of the scenes vividly - the first half hour is on You Tube. One of my all time favourites.