Le Pont du Nord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Pont du Nord Reviews

September 20, 2014
I never knew I wanted to see a punk rock French female version of Toshiro Mifune until I saw this. Really something else. I have no words. Surreal and gritty and fun.
March 28, 2013
Not exactly accessible, but a picture-esque break down of Paris and the French New-Wave.
Harlequin68
March 25, 2013
Like Jacques Rivette's previous "Julie and Celine Go Boating," his film "Le Pont Du Nord" starts with a game of tag in Paris between two women, Marie(Bulle Ogier), who arrives in town on the back of a truck, and Baptiste(Pascale Ogier), who rides on a scooter. This games stops on the third try as Baptiste considers that it is fate that they keep running into each other. So, Baptiste who sees herself as something of a knight(she considers her leather jacket her armor) agrees to protect the more vulnerable Marie who is extremely claustrophobic after spending three years in jail and aid her in her search for Julien(Pierre Clementi) who carries a briefcase.

The next game involves a map of Paris in Julien's briefcase that is marked off into separate squares. And as highly improvised as this bewildering movie feels at times(it does not have an ending, so much as comes to a sudden halt), it does actually have some coherent ideas on how Paris tries to overwrite its past, as Marie is forced to face the repercussions of her own radical past. This is conveyed ably by the movie's locations(unusually so for an urban set movie, about 98% of the locations are exteriors) of construction sites and abandoned railroad stations and other buildings.
May 15, 2011
French take on the popular Don Quixote fable, this is one of the few (very, very few) films from the Nouvelle Vague that I actually like. Ambitious yet unpretentious, it is about Bulle Ogie's Marie and Pascale Ogie's Baptiste, friends who randomly meet and then decide to figure out a strange map of Paris in order to know which parts of the city are safe and which aren't and where they can house themselves following Marie having been convicted of robbing a bank and having to find a place she can run away to. It is surreal and has a dream like quality which adds to the proceedings but mostly it is fun and its protagonists likable. And, for a change where French cinema is concerned, people aren't just standing around talking which is a very good thing. My favourite Jacques Rivette film.
December 16, 2008
Pascale Ogier is sooo freaking weird.