Salt of This Sea (Milh Hadha al-Bahr) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Salt of This Sea (Milh Hadha al-Bahr) Reviews

May 20, 2015
The movie had potential and there are some good moments but the protagonist, Soraya, spoils the movie with her self-entitlement and childish tantrums over debatable historical events. Her character is so unlikable and stupid that any scene involving her is painful to watch. The other characters are fine.
July 21, 2014
?????? ??????? ?????? ????? ???? ???? "??????"
May 12, 2013
Liked it !!
Long live palestine <3
November 1, 2012
A very interesting and moving film about being Palestinian. Definitely worth watching.
July 27, 2012
LOVED this movie... def set the bar for independent Palestinian films
Harlequin68
½ June 19, 2012
"Salt of This Sea" starts with Israeli customs officials more than thoroughly questioning and searching Soraya(Suheir Hammad) due to her Palestinian heritage and intent to visit her friend Corinne(Sylvie Wetz) in Ramallah. Eventually they let her through but might not have even let her into the country if they had known her intent to exercise her personal Right to Return and stay permanently while failing to reclaim some of her late grandfather's money. Wanting to go in the opposite direction is Marwan(Riyad Ideis), a wannabe filmmaker, and Emad(Saleh Bakri) who has a scholarship to a university in Candada, only needing a visa to ensure he never has to look at another soldier again.

To be fair, "Salt of This Sea" can be rather rough and pedantic at times. Actually, I was afraid the movie was never going to get around to properly developing its plot. But then once it does with a doozy of a plot twist, the movie gets significantly better as the contentiousness of a possible confrontation turns into suspense in this movie that is concerned greatly with movement and its lack of. Just underneath the surface is a lot of history and tension which Soraya encounters for the first time. At the same time, the movie does not let the Palestinian leadership off the hook, holding it at least partially responsible for the fate of its people.
½ June 5, 2012
Typical Palestine vs. Israel rhetoric
March 9, 2012
A truthful-realistic insight on how things are in Palestine using colorful characters and exotic events placed on a stiff piece of cloth, Such elements starting from characters, plot, scenery and the director's unique usage of those elements gave birth to a beautiful disturbing portrait of the Palestinian misery.
March 9, 2012
½ December 2, 2011
Emotional drama with a genuine agenda; to bring light to the ongoing disputes between many Israelis and Palestinians. The film presents the issue intimately for the outsider looking in, and draws the viewer into a very real dilemma; without asking one to take sides, but clearly making a compassionate case. 3 1/2 stars
½ November 26, 2011
Saw most of this with Maiko. started off promising but quickly got boring and i got tired so that was the end of that.
October 12, 2011
How do you watch it??
September 24, 2011
very beautiful movie. I loved it very much. I felt sick in my stomach like the actress who she felt when she entered her grandfather's house in Jafa, because my mother lived in Jafa, the same street where the actress walked to see her grandfathr's house......
September 5, 2010
½ September 5, 2010
Very good movie about occupied Palestine and injustices faced by Palestinians and their descendants. My only criticism is that it is at times a bit heavy handed with the message, thus becomes too preachy and verges to making the main character dislikable. But all in all I loved it.
½ August 23, 2010
The filmmaker has some good points to tell, but should create a better and more logical story to deliver it.
August 10, 2010
and they blew each other up. the end.
½ July 19, 2010
Oh, another wonderful Palestinian movie. It seems that I'll admire all Palestinian movies made and forthcoming! a very intimate and colorful work from Annemaria..
I realized that a lot of scences are "real life " scences .. before I read that in IMDB after watching the movie! it's really "droit au coeur" as they say in frensh

This movie is just like a nice dream which was abruptly finished :)
April 6, 2010
such a great film..i belive it touched the hearts of so many
October 27, 2009
I saw this movie in the Arab Film Festival. Amazing movie of sorrow and frustration of the Palestinian people, land grabbing by the Israelis and its consequences on both sides.