Le magasin des suicides (The Suicide Shop) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le magasin des suicides (The Suicide Shop) Reviews

½ July 2, 2016
A wonderful animated film that dares to thread into that middle-ground where it's too dark for kids, and "too light for adults". In other words it's a great flick if you're bored but don't want to watch something heavy, or if you're an adult who's fan of regular cartoon shows.

The art is beautiful, rich with details and character which greatly lend to the atmosphere. The soundtrack is equally good, and the songs, while not the most memorable, are still a cut above most movies.

The plot is entertaining enough to keep you interested throughout the movie, and it got me both sad and outright laughing. However, the mood of the story has a tendency to jump around, one minute a character can be the embodiment of evil, the other you're supposed to feel sorry for them. Sometimes you're supposed to read the characters deeply like real people, the next you're back to cartoon antics. It's a bit jarring, and will definitely deter some people.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, I love movies which thread the tone between dark and comedy. The story has a good moral, and because it doesn't shy away from showing death (and nudity) the moral actually comes across strongly instead of being hammered down like in most shows. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous and huge inspiration or an artist like me.
May 10, 2016
The animations are good but the movie's main theme is weak and stupid, suicide is something you can't describe with such superficiality.
January 15, 2015
Il est toujours agréable de voir de l'animation autre que du Pixar. Dans ce magasin des suicides les dessins sont une réussite et l'histoire est inventive. Son côté sombre en fait un dessin animé pour adulte.... J'aime habituellement les films musicaux, mais ici les chansons m'ont agacé plus souvent qu'autrement. Réussite, tout de même.
October 19, 2014
Il faut avoir du courage pour pouvoir dédramatiser le suicide comme ça !
½ September 2, 2014
Uma idéia tão original merecia um desenvolvimento mais consistente. Mas a originalidade vale a espiada.
½ July 17, 2014
We had high hopes for this movie in the beginning, but then it took a weird turn with that creepy subplot involving the main character's sister...
½ March 12, 2014
Un cartone animato che non ha ben capito la sua anima: canzoncine da pubblico minorenne e tema da pubblico maggiorenne. Alla fine ne esce un cartone comunque atipico e interessante.
½ February 8, 2014
The Suicide Shop (Le Magasin des Suicides) - French musical darkly-comic 3D-animation film - written and directed by famous Patrice Leconte. The film is based on the novel of the same name by Jean Teule.

Possibly set in Paris (as Eiffel Tower is referred in the song). The city is plagued with gloominess and murkiness - there is feel of an apocalyptic surroundings - it seems some of these people find 'smile' or 'laughter' a cardinal sin. City government has imposed fine on committing suicide in public (if the suicide goes successful the victim's family has to pay fine, if any). In all this turmoil 'Le Magasin des Suicide' run by Tuvache family since 1854 - their mottos are "You failed in your life - succeed in your death" or "Killing is our pride and joy". Tuvache family who consists of husband, pregnant-wife and their teenage kids (daughter and son). They do not greet you by saying 'good-morning' instead they stress upon 'bad-morning', or instead of 'see you', 'goodbye'. Wishing. They are keenly trading in tight ropes - poison that instantly kills you and sharp swords for hara-kiri (Seppuku) for gym-masters and more. ....BUT something miraculous happens they did not expect. A newly born baby son to them seems to defy their rules and challenge their business.

Patrice Leconte has touched on sensitive and delicate subject, a subject that is part of our society where we seem to notice too many untimely deaths around us. Victims who are depressed due to domestic-issues, failure in life - or in case like that in Pakistan, most suicides occur among the youths who have been without the jobs. There is no pre-consultancy for this type of disease, most of the times we see it written on the faces of people around us. There are plenty of jokes and hilarious scenes - brief nudity and death scenes too.
½ February 2, 2014
A great movie with really dark themes. I really don't know why people are saying this movie is "definately not for children". It obviously is not. It even says it in the title. I don't think a responsible parent would bring their kids into a movie called "The Suicide Shop". However, that does not mean it's not good. The animation goes along with the theme really well, and the change in the Tuvache family was a great way to show how things can change really suddenly. Obviously, it can happen normally. You don't really need a suicide shop for that to happen.
January 14, 2014
reminds me of Tim Burton
½ January 1, 2014
Un conte moderne qui se regarde, sans plus.
October 8, 2013
Nowhere as good as the book, "Le Magasin Des Suicides" is a decent film which for the most part follows the original quite well. Still, it's not a winner. A) The fact that it is a musical seriously hampers the plot. B) The happy ending - different from the book's - is totally unsuitable and leaves a sour aftertaste.
½ September 14, 2013
The Suicide Shop is unashamedly bold in its genre -- it is funny, heartwarming and wonderfully grim at times. A great film to watch for something different and aesthetically entertaining!!
½ July 5, 2013
It is subjective to think that all animated movies are created for children. Leconte purposely chose to do so, The suicide shop depicts the dark side of life in a realistic way putting Human guilt, despair and a child's innocence. Leconte adapted the novel perfectly. The songs, although in french were very well produced. This is simply a well produced dark comedy musical.
½ June 16, 2013
Trop de chanson... ok, je sais, c'est une comédie musicale et je ne le savais pas.
April 27, 2013
Strange, years back (while feverish) I jotted down an idea for a suicide based musical.... seems someone else had the same idea only they animated it into something resembling a Disney movie on some really strong downers (yes I know it's based on a book but humor me) Honestly, I liked it, and hell, the people who made this likely did better then I could have given I never got my idea past page one. A musical dark comedy, albeit a french one with English subtitles, well worth a watch.
½ April 25, 2013
très bien fait. Style différent
April 23, 2013
Very optimistic! Very good movie
April 18, 2013
Inventive but not that daring. The dark tone is welcome but the transition to more optimistic (and safe) paths not very convincing. Even so, it has some great moments.
½ April 5, 2013
Nicely animated with a unique story to back it up. Felt a bit depressing though.