Le Million - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Le Million Reviews

½ September 26, 2010
French slapstick musical.
½ July 29, 2010
a charming and wonderful surprise french comedy by Rene Clair from the early 30's!
January 27, 2010
A thoroughly enjoyable frenzy of pitch-perfect comedy, tightly directed by Rene Clair. Clair was a notable influence on Chaplin, and it is easy to see that here; there is a perfect pinch of pathos sprinkled into all of this wackiness and no matter how far into the abyss these characters fall, we are always wholly connected to them. This is really about as much fun as one can have watching a movie. Every situation, every character antic and every goofy musical number furthers the film's incredible charm. Along with its sense of fun, Clair's film is also of enormous significance for the history of the French cinema; this, one of the first synch-sound pictures the nation produced, stands as one of their proudest landmarks.
rubystevens
November 18, 2009
groundbreaking and absolutely charming screwball musical comedy. loved it
September 23, 2009
I'm getting in habit using the words "charming" and "inventive" when it comes to Rene Clair, and here he does it again, with another delightful musical comedy. It's clear that this film served as inspiration for others, particularly the Marx Brothers. Joyful and sublime.
August 9, 2009
Rene' Clair is notorious for denouncing the advent of sound on cinema. With "Le Million," one of his talkies, he proved that sound can be vital to the narration of a story. This can include drama, humor, or anything in between.

Okay, describing "Le Million" this way may be a little generous, but the film did influence the popular screwball comedies from Hollywood in the mid to late 1930's. It also had an influence on the American musical that would help define the Western film industry for twenty years.

The truth is, "Le Million" was tremendously influential on sound cinema, but it is my opinion that this "type" of film has been done better. The musicals have been catchier, the jokes have been funnier, and the "zany" plot twists have been more, well, zany. But it would be wrong for me to ignore the film's importance on the film world. For that, "Le Million" is worth a watch. However, don't be surprised if you've seen something similar and better before because you probably have.
½ July 6, 2009
Downright freakin' jaunty.
April 23, 2009
Disappointing film. This film is constantly silly, but rarely funny. There are NO likeable characters, as the entire cast is made up of greedy, two-faced philanderers, with no puckish charms to compensate. I spent most of the film hoping that nobody would find the lottery ticket and everyone would die in a fire. I imagine this film was some sort of Depression-era wish fulfillment, but it left me cold and unimpressed.
April 12, 2009
a charming early musical in which the songs are seamlessly and cleverly integrated into the many twists and turns of the expert plot. the tone is similar to rené clair's 'a nous la liberte,' but in a much tighter, and intricate package. amazing opening shot. great fun overall. at times the compositions, setups, and tone reminded me of 'rules of the game,' but i haven't seen enough french film yet to know if i'm just observing the standards of early sound films in france
April 2, 2009
A nice looking and fun little French comedy from 1931. What is cool about this film was that Rene Clair worked around the limits that early sound forced upon films of the late 20's and early 30's. The recorded sound is limited. He uses alot of pre-recorded music and off screen sfx and voice overs.The story is about a artist and his friends looking for a lost lottery ticket through the streets of Paris. It's a fun story,but it's not as much fun as the American screwball comedies that would arrive in the coming years. It's amazing that more films didn't follow Clair's inventiveness on working around the limits that sound provided.
March 31, 2009
Nothing more then a very fun and always lively comedy. This film is more or less just a French version of the Marx Brothers. The story is thin, the songs of upbeat, the slapstick is good, and it all blends together for a really pleasant comedy.
February 18, 2009
Entertaining for what it was, basically a not greatly acted musical comedy from the 1930s about the search for a lottery ticket. In pairing the events with the opera it did have a bit of art/life divide complexity that worked well.
½ February 9, 2009
A brilliant old comedy that actually still works today. If you put Will Ferrell in the lead role and remade the movie in English you'd have a smash hit!
January 30, 2009
This is the freshest, most original movie I've seen in quite a while. And it's from 1931. I think maybe that I need to get out more.
January 28, 2009
Clair should get more credit (as Renoir usually does) for compositions in depth and fluid mise-en-scene pre-Welles.
January 25, 2009
Preferiría que se hubiera olvidado de la música y el baile y se hubiera concentrado en la comedia, pero igual acaba siendo entretenida y graciosa. / I would have preferred that it left behind the music and dance and concentrated on the comedy, but ends up being entertaining and funny anyway.
January 20, 2009
An example of why Jerry Lewis is popular in France: this movie, much like Lewis', is full of rather uninspired slapstick plus some annoying music and a boring plot.
½ January 19, 2009
Fun early French musical directed by Rene Clair about a guy who wins the lottery but loses his ticket so for the rest of the film he and a bunch of others chase around town looking for it. It's basically just a silent film with songs, but that's what adds to the charm of the film. There are a few of those Scooby Doo moments where a dozen people chase after each other through the halls and cross paths frequently, but it's funny. It's got a nice opening that grabs you in and lets you know exactly what kind of movie it is. Nice and sweet.
½ January 19, 2009
Hilarious movie, incredibly inventive. It reminded me of a (seriously) toned-down Goddard. Great film.
½ December 14, 2008
Wow what a find! An early musical from René Clair, this film is better than most musicals I have seen. The artists' chase to find his winning lottery ticket is quite whimsical, as René Lefèvre plays the lead perfect. His performance is so funny and coarse, you can't help but be amazed. The music is great, the photography is wonderful, and the direction is superb. If you get the CC DVD, watch Clair's interview on sound in film, quite profound.