A League of Their Own - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A League of Their Own Reviews

½ February 12, 2018
Classic sports comedy that holds up thanks to a superb cast & smart, funny filmmaking. The actors are superb across the board, with Geena Davis a natural as the gifted player Dottie while Madonna plays up her sexy image as May. It's Tom Hanks, though, that steals the show as the drunken manager, Jimmy Dugan, giving one of his first character roles along with the film's best lines ("There's no crying in baseball!!!"). Behind the camera, Penny Marshal crafts a fun but smart movie that takes a hard look at the sexism the female ballplayers faced (their uniforms were skirts, which made sliding dangerous) but with the right mix of humor that it never feels preachy. It doesn't shy away from the more unsavory aspects of the time as well, with a nod to the prevalent racism at the time (it was still only white girls allowed to play) and the fact WII was going on, with many of the players's own husbands serving. Plus, the sports games are exciting and well played (Marshal made sure her actors could actually play baseball before casting them). It is a bit slightly glossed over at times, as this is a mostly fictionalized account of the Woman's Baseball League, but still a very enjoyable one, and easily one of the best sports movies ever made.
January 23, 2018
I liked it. I didn't love it. As much as I enjoyed the performances of Geena Davis and Tom Hanks I don't need to watch this again anytime soon.
January 11, 2018
Fine film. Shocking in today's climate women don't think they'd again be viable as a baseball product despite all other women's sports paling in comparison to men's.
December 2, 2017
The only problem with this story is that I absolutely without a doubt did not like the little sister, Kit. Otherwise it's awesome.
½ October 1, 2017
A fun story that was well made and entertaining.
August 9, 2017
What and ensemble cast, everyone involved in this picture, was totally on the ball and awesome, i have watched this movie thousands of times and it never falls to lift me up after a bad day.
July 10, 2017
Good and entertaining
½ July 9, 2017
Rewatched this for the first time in probably 20 years and am in shock at how well it holds up!
Penny Marshall truly knocked this one out of the park (I swear I didn't plan that before I started typing) and virtually everyone in the cast is doing their best work ever.
If only all sports movies could be this delightful.
July 4, 2017
Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, and Penny Marshall all deserved awards consideration. This movie is so wonderful from script to score. My favorite Rosie and Madonna performances. One of the best sports movies and one of my favorites of all time. I looooooove this movie.
½ April 18, 2017
I get that it was trying to be inspiring, but watching this 25 years after the fact just makes it all look sexist and hypocritical. Amazing that Hanks went on to win two Best Actor Oscars after this, considering he does almost nothing. There's not really many laughs for what is essentially a sports comedy, with it following all the sporting stereotypes, just with women instead of men. Davis is OK, while Madonna & O'Donnnell are annoying. Needed more Lovitz!
April 17, 2017
fantastic! great performances all around. surprisingly touching and emotional. I just loved the whole thing. I have nothing else to say except its great.
April 6, 2017
A very lighthearted and charming story, with everyone bringing a very fun performance to this nontraditional baseball tale.
March 16, 2017
One of the best movies ever! Should be required watching for history class!
January 28, 2017
Such an inspiring movie since I play baseball and I'm a girl too, it gives me hope that maybe one day they might make a league again or let women in the current majors. LOVE THIS MOVIE!
November 21, 2016
one of the few film i can watch madonna in lol
½ October 21, 2016
Pure garbage. Terrible acting, terrible story, everything is just terrible. DO NOT WATCH.
½ October 8, 2016
A League of Their Own is directed by Penny Marshall, and it stars Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna, and Lori Petty in a dramedy sports film about the fictional members of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League of where they were at before it, and how it come to all of it. I remember it being a classic and actually reviewed it, but it was based on stars, not on what I say about it. So with that said, it still was as great as I remembered it. The cast is fantastic, whether it be from Tom Hanks's memorable performance, Gena Davis's great acting, and good acting from Lori Petty, even if she gets annoying at times. The characters are very memorable thanks to some great writing by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel. It has some great balance for baseball scenes and development for the characters. There are some good humor from the characters, mostly from Tom Hanks's character. When I thought that something predictable is going to happen, it doesn't actually lead to it and puts some twists into it. It has some drama moments that are very well done because you get to know a lot of the characters. It's not perfect, but A League of Their Own is an enjoyable good-feel film that is one of the most memorable baseball films.
September 28, 2016
A feel good movie. Great sports film about solid topic with great ensemble cast.
August 28, 2016
Hilarious, poignant and magical - the beginnings of girls baseball, a great script and cast, stunning set pieces and costumes, and all mixed in with the glory of nostalgia.

A triumph in every sense, with insider jokes like Madonna playing up her sex kitten image being nicknamed baseballs All-the-way Mae, hahaha, and Rosie O'Donnell cracking one-liners every moment she can.

The joy and the heart of this cast shines brilliantly.

There's no crying in baseball!! Hahaha
Tom Hanks rules the roost with eyerolls and sulky frowns to our glee until they knock his socks off with some spectacular plays. And the whole time we are gunning for these underdog ladies to really pull thru.

A great sports comedy that fires on all cylinders. This is how an ensemble cast is to be played!
5 Home Runs out of 5
July 30, 2016
It's light but never shallow. A sweet feel good movie with a great cast of characters and many moments of genuine emotion mixed in with the laughs.