A League of Their Own - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A League of Their Own Reviews

½ April 18, 2017
I get that it was trying to be inspiring, but watching this 25 years after the fact just makes it all look sexist and hypocritical. Amazing that Hanks went on to win two Best Actor Oscars after this, considering he does almost nothing. There's not really many laughs for what is essentially a sports comedy, with it following all the sporting stereotypes, just with women instead of men. Davis is OK, while Madonna & O'Donnnell are annoying. Needed more Lovitz!
April 17, 2017
fantastic! great performances all around. surprisingly touching and emotional. I just loved the whole thing. I have nothing else to say except its great.
April 6, 2017
A very lighthearted and charming story, with everyone bringing a very fun performance to this nontraditional baseball tale.
March 16, 2017
One of the best movies ever! Should be required watching for history class!
January 28, 2017
Such an inspiring movie since I play baseball and I'm a girl too, it gives me hope that maybe one day they might make a league again or let women in the current majors. LOVE THIS MOVIE!
November 21, 2016
one of the few film i can watch madonna in lol
½ October 21, 2016
Pure garbage. Terrible acting, terrible story, everything is just terrible. DO NOT WATCH.
½ October 8, 2016
A League of Their Own is directed by Penny Marshall, and it stars Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Madonna, and Lori Petty in a dramedy sports film about the fictional members of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League of where they were at before it, and how it come to all of it. I remember it being a classic and actually reviewed it, but it was based on stars, not on what I say about it. So with that said, it still was as great as I remembered it. The cast is fantastic, whether it be from Tom Hanks's memorable performance, Gena Davis's great acting, and good acting from Lori Petty, even if she gets annoying at times. The characters are very memorable thanks to some great writing by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel. It has some great balance for baseball scenes and development for the characters. There are some good humor from the characters, mostly from Tom Hanks's character. When I thought that something predictable is going to happen, it doesn't actually lead to it and puts some twists into it. It has some drama moments that are very well done because you get to know a lot of the characters. It's not perfect, but A League of Their Own is an enjoyable good-feel film that is one of the most memorable baseball films.
September 28, 2016
A feel good movie. Great sports film about solid topic with great ensemble cast.
August 28, 2016
Hilarious, poignant and magical - the beginnings of girls baseball, a great script and cast, stunning set pieces and costumes, and all mixed in with the glory of nostalgia.

A triumph in every sense, with insider jokes like Madonna playing up her sex kitten image being nicknamed baseballs All-the-way Mae, hahaha, and Rosie O'Donnell cracking one-liners every moment she can.

The joy and the heart of this cast shines brilliantly.

There's no crying in baseball!! Hahaha
Tom Hanks rules the roost with eyerolls and sulky frowns to our glee until they knock his socks off with some spectacular plays. And the whole time we are gunning for these underdog ladies to really pull thru.

A great sports comedy that fires on all cylinders. This is how an ensemble cast is to be played!
5 Home Runs out of 5
July 30, 2016
It's light but never shallow. A sweet feel good movie with a great cast of characters and many moments of genuine emotion mixed in with the laughs.
July 10, 2016
Entertaining feel good movie.
½ June 25, 2016
A League of Their Own, although filled with a great performances, struggles with a predictably poor plot. It doesn't seem to really go anywhere, and it has no real buildup or a whole lot to work with - it's pretty much just the story of how women's baseball started and a little bit of the game being played.
During WWII, the first all women baseball league is formed by a candy bar magnate and managed by a drunken has been. With a lot of potential, especially shining through farm girl Dottie Hinson, the team makes a name for not only themselves, but for sports history.
A League of Their Own excels in some areas but most areas is empty. The performances are great, with tons of big name actors. As I have stated in earlier reviews, I'm a big Tom Hanks fan, and this is one of his first roles that shifted from forgettably goofy 80s comedies to all around excellence in drama and comedy. The plot, however, is missing something. It takes a long time for the essence of the film to even begin, with a lot of character buildup that is unnecessary for some characters and the first hour compiled of Tom Hanks' character being a drunken mess. As entertaining as his performance is, it's basically a condensed baseball game with some added filler of bus rides and other mischief. It attempts at building some subplots, too, which work out somewhat better than the main plot - one being the tension between Dottie and her younger sister Kit, who feels unrecognized in the shadows of her successful sister. The tension and chemistry, although completely predictable, is more of an entertaining story than what is essentially a compilation of condensed women's baseball games. It's filler everywhere - there is no legitimate story to be found. The film could be cut in half and still manage to tell the rise of women's baseball just fine. I did, however, really like the ending of a present day glimpse of all the characters beholding their Baseball Hall of Fame exhibit. The little things make A League of Their Own and the big things are sloppily handled. A League of Their Own, although it has the potential to be a great film, feels more like a rough draft than anything and only has half of the film requirements done right.
June 20, 2016
Marshall lays the sappiness a bit thick (always her biggest problem) and I'm not sure the scenes set in "modern day" that open and close the film are even necessary, but the ensemble is so fantastic and the movie is so entertaining and funny that I don't really care.
June 19, 2016
Hilarious comedy about an all women's baseball team during World War II. Lori Petty and Geena Davis are recruited to play for the Georgia Peaches, who are managed by a drunk ex major leaguer (Tom Hanks in arguably his funniest performance of all time) . This comedy is for everyone and everyone involved is having fun making it easy for the audience to do the same.
June 7, 2016
Horrible intro/credits music aside, this is easily one of my favorite baseball movies right up there with Major League, the Sandlot, and Field of Dreams. There's no crying in baseball makes me laugh every time.
June 6, 2016
This is a classic! Probably the only sports film I like. It's predictable at times, but so funny and a great feel good film. It's extra special to me because I grew up watching this film with my family. Brings back childhood memories.
May 27, 2016
80% Despite its cheesy and sentimental ending, there's never a moment that isn't charming and boasts a talented cast, along with Tom Hanks's most quotable lines disregarding Forrest Gump.
March 15, 2016
I love this movie I can watch it over and over again.
February 14, 2016
Still one of the best movies I have ever watched. Funny, well made, great use of actors and actresses, a classic! I recommend this for men, women, and teenagers. I hope you enjoy!