A League of Their Own - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A League of Their Own Reviews

June 6, 2016
This is a classic! Probably the only sports film I like. It's predictable at times, but so funny and a great feel good film. It's extra special to me because I grew up watching this film with my family. Brings back childhood memories.
May 27, 2016
80% Despite its cheesy and sentimental ending, there's never a moment that isn't charming and boasts a talented cast, along with Tom Hanks's most quotable lines disregarding Forrest Gump.
March 15, 2016
I love this movie I can watch it over and over again.
February 14, 2016
Still one of the best movies I have ever watched. Funny, well made, great use of actors and actresses, a classic! I recommend this for men, women, and teenagers. I hope you enjoy!
½ February 8, 2016
An iconic baseball film! Hanks again is amazing!
February 6, 2016
Not many people know this, but there was a time that women played baseball. During WWII, it was heavily debated that the sport of baseball was almost shut down due to the male players being drafted into the war. Luckily, it was decided that in the men's place, women should see that they play the sport. And this is documented in the 1992 sports drama "A League of Their Own" directed by Penny Marshall. While the movie does have its fair share of problems, it is still an interesting and entertaining film to watch. As well as providing a nice insight into a subject that not a lot of people know about. "A League of Their Own" offers up some nice commentary on baseball from the perspective of a different gender.

The story involves two sisters, Dottie (Geena Davis) and Kit (Lori Petty), playing baseball during WWII. One day, a baseball agent (Jon Lovitz) decides to recruit the two into joining an entire league specifically for women. They accept, and are then playing for the Rockford Peaches. With the guidance from their manager, former baseball star Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks), the Rockford Peaches, and the girls for that matter, make a name for themselves by proving that women can play baseball.

"A League of Their Own" is a good movie; sure it has its problems, but we'll get to them later. For now, let us see what makes the movie work. And what better way to start off this than with the direction from Penny Marshall? She provides a perfect balance between the comedic and dramatic moments seen in the film, letting the audience laugh, and take in the seriousness of the film. This is especially true from the cast, consisting mostly of women from the likes of Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell, turning out solid performances. By recreating real people with these celebrities, makes the movie stand out more. The editing promises a well-paced film; maintaining a two hour run time, the movie gets its point across while delivering some solid action with its baseball scenes. The costumes look great as they fit the time frame of the 1940s very well, as well as the cinematography recaptures the look and feel of the 1940s. Plus the music by Hans Zimmer really fits the tone of the movie well, too. Finally, the history that surrounds this movie is quite interesting, and will definitely peak an interest in some wanting to know more.

Now, let us get to the problems with the film. For starters, while the pacing is nice and offers up a good continuous flow, it can present itself as being slow. Most of this can be attributed to the fact that there are moments in the movie, like the introduction of a child character that really serves no purpose, that pad the movie a little further. And here we transition to the film's biggest problem: there is no major conflict presented in the film. Sure, we want to see the Peaches win, and there is a rivalry between Kit and Dottie, but that is only given more focus and attention during the last third of the film. And even then, it is resolved fairly quickly. If there had been some other major conflict involved, then the movie would have been more compelling to watch.

Overall, "A League of Their Own" is a fine baseball movie with some good elements to it. It's just that there are some major issues that make the film far from being perfect. But it still represents a time period when women played baseball, that has since been somewhat neglected in the history books.
January 7, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time.
December 22, 2015
One movie I can watch over and over and always end up crying.
December 12, 2015
Penny Marshall directs Tom Hanks and Geena Davis in A League of Their Own. With the men off to fight World War II, a women's league is created to keep the spirit of baseball alive. Managed by a drunk drop out in Hanks, the team does its best to keep the game going despite low attendance and critics. A League of Their Own is a solid film overall and is not likely to disappoint most viewers. The film has a solid cast, but unfortunately the film is somewhat hoaky and misses out the chance to be a really good period piece film.
½ October 18, 2015
all star pic/period pic from the gr8 Penny Marshall a/k/a LaVerne
½ October 18, 2015
I finally got to finish watching this, and I'd probably say I wish I hadn't really started it. It's long and predictable, as most sports films are. It does have a decent emotional factor in it though. Tom Hanks and Geena Davis are quite good in it too.
October 3, 2015
Nostalgic without being hokey, A League of Their Own mingles drama with its appealing humor and has a great cast with an even greater chemistry.
September 13, 2015
One the best movies of all times!
June 7, 2015
One of my favorite movies. I could watch it a million times.
½ May 13, 2015
82% on my Tomatometer.
May 11, 2015
En ocasiones el cine ligero es una formula adecuada para ser disfrutado, conseguir cercania y un gratificante recuerdo.
April 7, 2015
Just a fun ride and pleasure to watch these characters.....a worthy top notch baseball movie.
March 19, 2015
Holds childhood memories for me. I love this movie.
January 24, 2015
This is my first ever baseball movie and at the time I only knew of Madonna but not Tome Hanks nor Genna Davis until I grew older. Absolutely love this bunch of heroines!
December 12, 2014