A League of Their Own - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A League of Their Own Reviews

½ October 18, 2015
all star pic/period pic from the gr8 Penny Marshall a/k/a LaVerne
½ October 18, 2015
I finally got to finish watching this, and I'd probably say I wish I hadn't really started it. It's long and predictable, as most sports films are. It does have a decent emotional factor in it though. Tom Hanks and Geena Davis are quite good in it too.
October 3, 2015
Nostalgic without being hokey, A League of Their Own mingles drama with its appealing humor and has a great cast with an even greater chemistry.
September 13, 2015
One the best movies of all times!
June 7, 2015
One of my favorite movies. I could watch it a million times.
½ May 13, 2015
82% on my Tomatometer.
May 11, 2015
En ocasiones el cine ligero es una formula adecuada para ser disfrutado, conseguir cercania y un gratificante recuerdo.
April 7, 2015
Just a fun ride and pleasure to watch these characters.....a worthy top notch baseball movie.
March 19, 2015
Holds childhood memories for me. I love this movie.
January 24, 2015
This is my first ever baseball movie and at the time I only knew of Madonna but not Tome Hanks nor Genna Davis until I grew older. Absolutely love this bunch of heroines!
December 12, 2014
Watched on DVD with Mom
½ November 14, 2014
90s CLASSIC! I so loved Gina Davis and Tom Hanks in this movie. Rosie O'Donnell and Madonna in supporting roles provide constant comedic relief. I laughed and cried a lot with this movie. I even sing some of the songs still. Directed well. Written well. And acted beautifully. I love this movie.
½ October 16, 2014
Tom Hanks was good in this. Good remake of the Times.
October 4, 2014
A League of Their Own is all at once nostalgic, dainty, and charming, and it's held together by superb performances from its terrific cast.
October 1, 2014
Awful in almost every way. The writing was completely overwritten (ever heard of subtext?), the humor was formulaic, and the music direction was cliche. The best thing this film has to offer is the acting, with most of the cast performing tremendously, particularly Geena Davis and Tom Hanks. Jon Lovitz comes in with his typical role, which is a character almost as annoying as the film itself.
September 6, 2014
Lovely story and a great cast!!!
½ September 4, 2014
A fresh and unique baseball movie. It is nearly perfect, but I didn't care for the opening and closing scenes. The reunion was kind of corny and could have been left out of the film. Otherwise, it is just peachy. (First viewing - Teen years)
September 2, 2014
Some movies are practically programed from the planning stages to be crowd-pleasing blockbusters, and I usually resent them with a passion. "A League of Their Own" is one such movie, but yet it won me over almost immediately thanks to some near-perfect casting and an inspired screenplay by two veteran Hollywood screenwriters.

Penny Marshall grew into a talented director, but much of the credit for the film's success lies with Babaloo Mandel and Lowell Ganz whose script finds just the right mix of nostalgia, sentiment and truly funny one-liners. If for nothing else, the film will always be remembered for the "There's no crying in baseball" speech, but it's Jon Lovitz who gets the biggest laughs in a small part as a recruiter.

However, his is just a small role in this wonderful ensemble cast who work so well together, and each of them are given at least one moment to shine. Tom Hanks and Geena Davis are terrific, but Marshall also manages to get the best out of smaller stars like Rosie O'Donnell and Lori Petty. Even Madonna is very good in what is easily the best performance of her acting career.

Even the overy sentimental finale works within the context of the film, in which the major players get back together decades later, even if I did wonder why other actors were hired to play the character's older selves except for Davis. She shows up in fairly unconvincing make-up. It's a minor distraction.

"A League of Their Own" builds a winning fictional story out of a factual but little known era in sports history and slams it out of the park. It's pretty irresistible.
½ August 17, 2014
Great story. Loved the story and the comradery between the cast.
August 15, 2014
Geena Davis helms a plucky, extroverted squad of girls embroiled in the inaugural season of a ladies' baseball league. It's got heart and charm to spare, but often veers too close to super motivational, Lifetime Network feel-good material for my taste. The talent is there, with strong support from Tom Hanks, Jon Lovitz and Madonna, though their roles frequently edge near the cartoonish. Some are able to pull that off - Lovitz has been making bread with such exaggerated characters for years - but others, like Rosie O'Donnell's stereotypical feisty Jersey girl, aren't as adept. Puffy, padded, and egregiously predictable, its message about the irresistible force of gender equality in the midst of WWII is nice, but often feels secondary to the manufactured lite drama in the locker room.