Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III Reviews

½ April 29, 2017
Leatherface is the third movie in the Texas Chainsaw franchise and it's nothing special. The story follows a couple that are unfortunate enough to be driving on a road where a serial killer cannibalistic family hunts people. Long story short, they capture them and madness ensues. Immediately you can tell that this isn't a very original movie. It's basically the first movie, just without the scares. Now, I'd be lying if I said I expected an original movie from a third movie in a franchise, but I did expect it to be, if nothing else, fun. Unfortunately, it doesn't manage to be even that up until the last 20 or so minutes. The movie does feature quite a bit of action and killing, but the main reason those scenes aren't effective is because you never get to see any gore. This movie was made back in the time when horror movies were being extremely cut because the MPAA was even more strict than today. This movie was rated X back when it came out and if this movie came out today, it would barely be rated R. Whenever something violent is happening, we rarely see it on-screen. Usually, the camera cuts quickly away from the gore and we just hear the sounds of what is happening and sometimes even see blood spray. When the movie ended, I went to YouTube to see the deleted scenes and they actually did shoot all the gory scenes and wanted to put them in the movie, but they were told not to if they wanted the movie to be even released. I watched all of the deleted scenes and I can safely say that the movie would've been a much better experience if they hadn't cut so much of it out. At least then I'd have something to look forward to. Greg Nicotero did the special effects for the movie and I feel bad for him; he did his very best to make the gore as shocking as possible and then they just censor it. It's really unfair. Moving on to the characters. Everyone acted their parts pretty good, although the characters were quite plain. Again, you'll hardly care for any of the characters. My favourite character was Viggo Mortensen's because of his performance and he was, overall, quite a creepy presence. I'm very disappointed with Leatherface's look in this movie. The mask is a disaster and he didn't seem as menacing as he did in the first movie nor did he seem as enthusiastic as he did in the second movie. He was very bland and uninteresting. I do like one particular scene with him where he's playing a game which shows you pictures and you have to type in what you see. The game shows him a picture of a man and he keeps typing in 'food'. That scene kind of got to me because Leatherface is basically just a child. Yes, he is old and he does kill people, but that's only because he doesn't know of any other kind of life. He's a pretty tragic character and I always appreciate little moments like that when they try to humanise him. They also did the same in Texas Chainsaw 3D. The direction of the movie was alright. It was fairly generic, although there is one great shot of a driving car and the screen is split into two parts. The bottom part is the ground, which is fully black, and the top part is purple, night. And the car just goes from the right side to the left. It lasts for about 5 seconds, but it looked fantastic. The soundtrack isn't very noticeable up until the end when the heavy metal songs kick in and then the movie gets really badass! The credits are also blessed with a metal song written specially for the movie, which is pretty great. All in all, Leatherface doesn't add anything new to the franchise but is well acted, has some really badass moments and you can always watch the deleted scenes online to make the movie a better experience. I'd recommend it only to Texas Chainsaw fans, I don't think anyone else would care for this movie at all.
½ April 10, 2017
It lacks Tobe Hooper. It lacks the chaos in the scenes and the family is a little bit dull in this one, even Leatherface.
February 16, 2017
"Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III" returns to a clear cut horror film instead of the horror/comedy mix of the previous installment, which is welcomed. Some of the actors aren't bad in it but nothing super note worthy (Viggo Mortensen and Tom Everett were the two best of the film). There is a really good scene in which the family is preparing for the dinner, they're acting like an actual family involving setting the table, preparing the other edibles, and discussing their day. It doesn't sound particularly exciting but I enjoyed it more than I probably should have. I wouldn't say this is a "must see" sequel but you could do worse in the series.
February 16, 2017
A mere shadow of the disturbing original. Leatherface feels more like a flaccid and mediocre slasher film than anything else.
½ January 9, 2017
A deed, a humiliation, something you can not take as a sequel to the Texas massacre, the performances are bad, the dialogues are bad too, but what matters most to me. What the hell means the end? That not the black and the cowboy died long before in the movie ?, horrendous, but it obtains a better maintenance than in the loose second part, for that reason two and a half star, and not one.
October 7, 2016
The primary argument against this movie is that the 2nd film had a very definitive ending and didn't need to be elaborated on. But New Line gained the rights to make a 3rd film, this time for the purpose of creating a new horror franchise ala "Nightmare on Elm Street." Tobe Hooper does NOT return, nor does anyone cast from the original. Jeff Burr takes over as director. And, like Hooper, had to turn in this film a fair number of times and continuously cut out the more graphic and disturbing footage to try and get an R rating. This film is not as wacky as the 2nd, but has a more grim and bleak atmosphere that hews closer to the original. Unfortunately, the end product, while possessing Leatherface in all his gigantic grunting chainsaw revving glory, and containing a whole new family to MEAT (all played well, especially the little girl), the end product is confusing and jumbled. Our victims are so devoid of personality that it's hard to care for them. I have no complaints about Ken Foree's presence because I'll never tire of watching him kick ass in a horror movie. And the ending is the worst part about it as it just throws logic completely out the window. Suffice to say, this movie flopped at the box office and derailed any plans of a horror franchise...for the time being. After the 4th film, a throwaway that wouldn't have ever seen the light of day if Rene Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey had not starred in it, the franchise was rebooted in 2003. But ultimately this film represents the last time there would ever be anything fresh or interesting in a "Texas Chainsaw" movie.
July 14, 2016
Gets a lot of flack but is the best sequel in the series. A big improvement over TCM 2 (a very beloved sequel).
½ July 14, 2016
One of my favorite films in the Texas Chainsaw Massacare series! It catches the dirtiness, and grime of the first one, and adds twists of it's own. Like having a young kid in the family, and giving Leatherface a new saw! It all makes for a fantastic movie!
½ February 9, 2016
,¢,,¦,¢,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦¢,¦¢,¦â¦â¦
October 26, 2015
It has its moments, but the gore is lacking, as is most of the horror from the first film and most of the humor from the 2nd.
October 17, 2015
3 was a huge boring dragged out mess centered around running around a forest, and that was literally the whole plot along with the house and anyone still alive and left over from 2....I didn't care for it at all and rate it as the 2nd worst entry in the series after the original itself.
July 2, 2015
Better than part two and oddly charming for a movie called Leatherface.
April 10, 2015
I'm giving this an extra star because the anime girl in the still image for the trailer and the box art with Leatherface look funny together.
February 7, 2015
This ended up as more of a re-do and not at all a bad one. It's nasty and was filmed in California instead of Texas, but still feels like some Texas ghost town with some interesting new Chainsaw family members!
December 19, 2014
Possibly my favorite of the originals, it's good. It's creepy like the original but has some comedy like the sequel. It's a good balance of the two and is a must watch for any TCM fan.
October 6, 2014
We need the rated x original cut to resurface.
July 30, 2014
Basically an ok remake buy vego was very good
July 7, 2014
I seem to be developing a bit of a soft spot for Texas Chainsaw sequels. TCM 3 does little more than tick the relevant boxes but it does it in an entertaining way. It's not scary but it is kinda fun.
½ July 4, 2014
A cut above its successors, and a sharp decline from its predecessor. But I want to call out Viggo Mortenson's performance as pretty good. Also...that little girl...she was freaky. It gets points for being able to capture the feeling from the original of your skin crawling at the horror before your eyes
, but you can't look away.