Leaving Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leaving Las Vegas Reviews

July 12, 2015
I don't find anything about acute alcoholism or those who are so unfortunate as to be involved in prostitution to be entertaining. This wasn't a love story - it was dysfunction. Although alcoholism & the perils of prostitutes were accurately depicted, the movie was not at all entertaining.
June 12, 2015
Between the raw passion of Nicholas Cage and the uncompromising guiding hand of Mike Figgis, any complaints I could ever have otherwise found in Leaving Las Vegas are completely washed away.
May 22, 2015
An example of a well directed, finely acted, creatively told film with a very depressing series of events and themes. The love story is swallowed up by all the darkness.
May 16, 2015
Nobody seems to notice the homage paid to the other prostitute, Bree Daniels, in the movie Klute. There also the technique of having her talking to a psychoanalyst is used except that the therapist is sometimes visible. As well, the hypothetical is more credible because Bree was a high-class call girl, not a street walker. And then, yet again, I never saw a street walker who looked like Sera in my nine years of living in Las Vegas, and I should know. And I do know. I'm surprised that no reviewer made the connection here. Between the two movies.
½ April 28, 2015
Dark and bleak doesn't equal quality every time. I don't feel the need to watch this again, once was enough and I didn't get all the fuss...Oscar schmoscar.
½ April 24, 2015
Cage is great but Shue gives her best performance[and years best performance]in one of the most disturbingly brilliant movies of the 90's.
April 22, 2015
Why do so many people like this movie? It's awful! To be fair to Nic Cage, his acting isn't bad, but he sure as hell didn't deserve to win an Oscar for his performance. And the ending is probably one of the worst I've ever seen in a film. Do not see this piece of shit.
April 12, 2015
Cage is culminating in what I consider to be one of the greatest films of the past 20 years. "Vegas" goes where few films haves gone before and seems to make sense of a senseless story. Shoes are not often filled with this much effect of depressed and torn individuals with so much disconnect to life. In the midstt, Ben and Sera find an ironic love affair that inevitably has no future. That's the heart of "Vegas". As much as we would love to see them overcome the overwhelming boundaries of their lives, the intense affection for each other is what makes every moment as heartbreaking and fitting as it is. They should both be "leaving las Vegas". The bitter fruit is that one is leaving everything, and hopefully the other leaves it for something better.
April 7, 2015
Sera: Don't you like me, Ben?
Ben Sanderson: Sera... what you don't understand is - no, see, no. You can never, never ask me to stop drinking. Do you understand?
Sera: I do. I really do.

Una de las historias de amor más trágicas en la historia del cine y también más realistas. Acá no existen los personajes que mágicamente se transforman por estar enamorados. Personas profundamente rotas que pueden -aunque sea por un instante- encontrar confort en la compañía del otro y acompañarse en sus miserias. Ben es un alcohólico que ya está al fin del camino, y decide irse a Las Vegas a dejarse morir a menos del alcohol. Conoce a Sera, una prostituta y se enamora, pero desde el principio le deja en claro que la bebida es su prioridad y que sus planes no van a cambiar solo por haberla conocido. Honrando su palabra, ambos tratan de mantenerse a flote, pero a la final sus demonios son más fuertes que ellos. La química entre Cage y Shue es uno de los aspectos más resaltantes porque hacen de esta película una de las experiencias más dolorosas que he visto en la pantalla, sobretodo porque se sabe que no habrá final feliz. Probablemente esta sea la actuación más poderosa en la carrera de Nicolas Cage. Su retrato como alcohólico te deja frío, especialmente sabiendo que esta es la realidad de millones de personas actualmente. Pero a pesar de que es la persona más egoísta, deja dicho que es la botella que lo somete y sólo de vez en cuando podemos ver su verdadero carácter detrás de la tragedia de su alcoholismo y es suficiente para sentir empatía y lograr ver lo que Sera vio en él. Esta película se mantiene sincera a su premisa de principio a fin, y aunque no sea una experiencia agradable, el director Mike Figgis estuvo dispuesto a contar esta historia que se aleja totalmente de cualquier estereotipo hollywoodense y se agradece. Una película brutal.
March 11, 2015
Nicholas Cage is a gem when it comes to overacting, but in this film his overstated performance feels exactly in place and surprisingly enhances perfectly the noir styled depravity on exhibition in this dark and intense romantic drama which itself is a pinnacle of downbeat cinema.
½ March 2, 2015
I had known this as the movie Cage won best actor for so i checked it out, damn its a frustrating experience, there's a great film buried in here, the relationship between the alcoholic and a prostitute has a lot of potential as theyre both broken lonely sad people, and they do have some nice scenes together, but the director ruins it with so many awful music choices that break the mood, cage has some very good scenes showing the real ugly side of alcoholism but other times hes just so over the top and silly that it loses credibility, and normally i love julian sands, but hes over the top here as well, and they just abandon his character halfway through, just a shame cuz this could have been so much better with a better director
March 1, 2015
The movie sets up characters that you love and care about... And then does nothing with them. In the end you are left with nothing to remember but great performances and an over bearing soundtrack.
½ February 28, 2015
A great love story, without any shame of who these characters are. Mike Figgis takes a great novel, and turns it into a immensely fascinating film, shot expertly in Super 16mm. Nicholas Cage is the main reason to see this. Not necessarily a good actor by reputation, but his turn here is outstanding. He perfectly captures the hopeless alcoholic in love. Elizabeth Shue is just as good.
½ February 27, 2015
Depressing, dark, and heartfelt, this is absolutely the best performance of Nicolas Cage's career. It will undoubtedly be one of the saddest movies you'll see. The thrones of addiction are hard to escape, and Cage plays the part here. Great movie led by power-packed acting and an above average script.
½ February 25, 2015
dark, dull, depressing but very well acted
½ February 24, 2015
Good but incredibly depressing. ð??§
½ February 18, 2015
Leaving Las Vegan is probably the most depressing movie ever made after Breaking the waves. Storytelling in this was exquisite. Never imagined Nicolas Cage being so good, he was that good that he won an oscar for it. He drinks himself to death to achieve that, Exceptional performance.
February 14, 2015
Just goes to show: if you're an alcoholic or a prostitute and expect to have a non-dysfunctional (and non-judgmental) relationship with someone, you're going to have a bad time...
February 12, 2015
A veces pienso que así terminaré a los 40 pero en New York en lugar de las vegas y bebiendo todas las noches en el MC gees
½ February 12, 2015
Leaving Las Vegas is one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. A drunk who goes to Las Vegas, falls in love with a hooker and... that's about it. Nicholas Cage won the oscar for this movie and honestly, I don't know why. I know he acts drunk the whole movie but... I don't know, it didn't really impress me that much. There's really not much to say about this movie. Just kinda dull.