Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day Reviews

½ July 29, 2016
On 12 December 2007 legendary rock band Led Zeppelin reformed to perform a tribute concert for Atlantic Records founder Ahmed Ertegun. This is that concert. The concert, performed at London's O2 Arena, included their most well-known songs. Set list: Good Times, Bad Times; Ramble On; Black Dog; In My Time of Dying; For Your Life; Trampled Under Foot; Nobody's Fault But Mine; No Quarter; Since I've Been Loving You; Dazed and Confused; Stairway to Heaven; The Song Remains the Same; Misty Mountain Hop; Kashmir; Whole Lotta Love; Rock and Roll.

Great concert, and capture of it. Good choice of songs. Nothing major gets left out (OK, maybe Immigrant Song, but I could understand if Robert Plant didn't feel he could manage the vocals on that any more).

While Led Zep might not have the energy and swagger of the 70s, when they were the undisputed kings of concerts, and rock music generally, their musicianship and artistry is undiminished. The power is still there too.

If anything, the music sounds tighter and fuller than in the 70s. Some of this is due to advances in live recording techniques and technology. Some of it could be due to guitarist Jimmy Page now not being under the influence of drugs...

If you compare this to The Song Remains the Same, the film of Led Zep's 1974 Madison Square Garden concerts, I probably prefer the music in The Song Remains the Same (we won't go into the non-music side of TSRTS - some of that was incredibly cheesy and certainly diminished the quality of the film). There's a rawness about it, and there's the Led Zep mystique too. Celebration Day isn't too far behind though.
September 29, 2013
Great performance but the camera angle switches too often. Whoever edited this needs to be beaten.
August 16, 2013
A very enjoyable time, makes you realize exactly why they were so loved in the 1970's.
May 23, 2013
Awesome video of a concert to remember
February 21, 2013
If you like Led Zep, obv love this :)
February 2, 2013
A breathtaking, if not overly bittersweet, final moment for a band we all wish have more moments to spare.
½ January 31, 2013
Great movie. They are old and can still play. Even though it isn't the same without John Bonham. But Jason can play great. I was just upset they didn't play "Moby Dick" or "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".
January 18, 2013
This concert was awesome, and i watched the blu ray cut online and its amazing. Always loved Jimmy Page's sloppy sludged out guitar work/tone. Jason Bonham does a ok job i guess, but certainly is not trying to be his dad. I guess i respect that, but it doesn't make for the best rhythm magic... but nobody could do what Bonham senior could! Robert Plant does a fine job being humble and singing strong. The stand out performer to me is John Paul Jones.
½ January 8, 2013
i mean my zeppelin obsession began and waned almost ten years ago but watching this took me back to listening to album after album as a kid and watching the dvd til i fell asleep during my hermetic preteen summer nights. say what you will about the occasionally bad editing (which isn't all too different from the dvd's, as carruthers is at the helm for this release as well) but it does a fine job of capturing a show that lived up to very lofty expectations.

i'll say that this show overall is better than the knebworth 1979 shows but falls behind earls court and royal albert hall but 99.9% of all things in the world fall short of those performances anyway so whatever that's no knock on this show. robert plant sounds pretty amazing and honestly i don't think he's sounded better in terms of playing off the band and knowing his limits. jason bonham does a fine job and doesn't detract from the experience as much as any purist might think. john paul and jimmy are still great. in general this show is so much fucking better than it had any right to be, and it's one of the few cash-in reunions that's justified in an artistic sense.
January 6, 2013
It should be hard for any true Zeppelin fan to find something they don't like here. Of course there are songs you might have wanted them to play, for instance, In Through the Outdoor is the only album unrepresented and I thought 'In the Evening' would have fit the sets perfectly or made a greater encore, but at least the ones they did select are well-rehearsed and spot on. They were really together on this and yet loose and cool with a strange energy cast. Indeed Jason Bonham has come as close as anybody at nailing Bonzo's obliterating, over-the-top drums, which were always the driving force of the band. It was plainly clear that they were having a good time, and that comes out in the performance. Jimmy Page's production is near flawless. Few people are as exacting as he when it comes to the matter of good sound and video. His playing is as great as ever, that tone-obsessed, in-between technique that so many people wish they could play like. John Paul Jones manages to shine as ever alternating bass and keyboards and probably makes fewer mistakes than anybody. But with real pros like Robert Plant, who is awesome in this, this band can literally play their way out of anything with little skid-mark. Phenomenal!
January 5, 2013
If you're a Zeppelin, this is a 'must see'. Good enough to watch and listen to over and over and over again!
January 2, 2013
Fantastic on Blu Ray, fitting to have Jason Bonham on drums.
January 2, 2013
True say...old is gold
December 30, 2012
The greatest concert video I have ever seen. There are only 4 bad shots. Each of the 4 times the director decided to to show us some hot women in the audience. I want to see the band, not the audience.
Great performance by the entire band.
December 30, 2012
This was the most famous concert of the 21st Century, it was the headline act of the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert which took place at the O2 Arena on December 10th 2007. No-one thought it would ever happen, but Led Zeppelin got back together one last time. This concert got the Guinness World Record for the "Highest Demand for Tickets for One Music Concert" as 20 million requests for tickets were rendered online. It's a good concert, and with 3 original members plus the son of the late drummer, they do a good set and they prove they still have it. The concert has Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham's son Jason performing a set of 14 songs with 2 encores. They include hits such as Good Times Bad Times, Ramble On, Black Dog, Trampled Under Foot, Stairway to Heaven, No Quarter, Since I've Been Loving You, Dazed and Confused, The Song Remains the Same and Kashmir. The encore consists off Whole Lotta Love and Rock and Roll. It's a 2 hour set which manages to be entertaining and compelling all at the same time. The footage is fast cut, with some shots lasting less than a second, and it's intercut with footage from the mobile phones and cameras of the fans in the audience, with all the graininess but nostalgia of Super 8mm footage. The sound is great, even if the concert's audio has been made available on bootleg for years before. But it manages to be entertaining, even if it doesn't show much of the audiences reaction
December 21, 2012
How can you not like a Led Zep concert
December 10, 2012
Celebration Day is a proper SWAN SONG for Led Zeppelin. It is a bittersweet concert with the band playing as if they never stopped for 36 years. As Robert Plant has said "This was Jason's night", and indeed it was. John Bonham would have been proud of his boy. I am glad I was able to see this show as I was only 10 when they ended it.
November 27, 2012
In one word: Moving.
November 22, 2012
This movie is the definitive evidence why "rock and roll" is the greatest music genre of all time. even after 30 years of their break up, this band delivered what people was dying to hear and see! definitely the best concert documentary of this decade, unless they decided to make another one.
November 20, 2012
Amazed at how good this is. Better than the old 'Song Remains the Same' film. I wasn't expecting the band to sound this good after so many years apart. The visuals are great too.