Lee Daniels' The Butler - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lee Daniels' The Butler Reviews

July 10, 2016
This movie gave really good insight into the lives of the White House butlers and their relationships with the POTUS.
July 3, 2016
Me parecio muy buena,muy interesante,aparte una pelicula con historia politica de Estados Unidos 8/10
June 30, 2016
An interesting if a bit overwrought way to showcase the civil rights movement over the decades, in addition to a study of the evolution of a particular form of servant class in contrast to the revolution going on outside. What I found most impressive in the storyline was how they rehearsed for the sit-ins. It's obvious now that it's been pointed out, but it had never occurred to me that they'd practice all the horrible things that would be done to them.
June 8, 2016
Lee Daniel's The Butler provides a detailed look at the Civil Rights movement and two distinct approaches. There are great performances within, but shifting between the father and sons story is not done to the best of its ability.
May 28, 2016
The top tier performances worked against the film as it focus too much on its star studded cast rather than substance.
May 22, 2016
I felt like the ambition was there, but the execution never quite delivered the goods.
½ May 14, 2016
Well produced, well-acted, and the definition of Oscar-bait. Forrest Whittaker does well, but is barely understandable. Oprah Winfrey continues to prove she needs to act more. And the odd casting choices for Presidents are mostly done so you'll pay attention to them rather than for authenticity. A good movie that tries too hard to be great.
April 30, 2016
Lost it a bit mid film, but came back for strong final half hour. Forest Whitaker Cecil is strong, but outshone by Oprah's role as his supportive, yet alcoholic wife
½ April 22, 2016
Forrest Whitaker was just amazing in this. It struck me again what a terrific actress Oprah is. Some sad moments but overall a really interesting film.
½ April 21, 2016
If Obama was the pinnacle of black racial aspirations no wonder not much has really changed.
April 10, 2016
I'm glad I watched it. The story is good, acting is great and the general feel of the movie feels right. I'm not sure how much of this is true and they make you feel as though he had an affect on policy which probably isn't true but either way it was entertaining and insightful.
March 28, 2016
Very good in the history and story line but not all true.
½ March 13, 2016
It is historically interesting, but the scope of subject matter and time this movie attempts to cover is daunting. We meet Cecil Gaines as seven-year-old in 1926 working on a sharecropping plantation. The movie walks us through various stages of his life. Lee Daniels works his way from poor farm hand to a White House Butler serving seven different presidents over thirty-four years. It is a remarkable life story of a man of great dignity and integrity. The story uses Lee Daniels as a mechanism to walk through time and see the enormous challenges and changes in American civil rights. It also tells the contrasting path of his oldest son, who resents his father's seemingly subservient job. The scenes between Cecil and his wife and sons are far more interesting than the scenes of his work at the White House. It makes its political points on a large scale well, but I wish the individual or emotional scales were of greater focus. Forest Whitaker plays the quiet Cecil Gaines well. He conveys a great deal with his physical and facial acting without talking. Oprah Winfrey does such a good job playing his wife; I wish she would act more often. Cuba Gooding Jr., David Banner, and Terrence Howard each do a commendable job as well. Seeing the different actors play famous presidents was a lot of fun. Sadly, the Presidents time on screen is short. We do not fully get to enjoy the performances from Robin Williams, James Marsden, Liev Schreiber, John Cusack, and Alan Rickman. Unexplainably the story completely skips Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter. Even if they were two of the less appreciated presidents in history, I would still like to see them briefly mentioned. There is a lot of good information in this fictionalized biopic, but it tries to cover so much ground it lacks the concentrated focus that can deliver a poignant emotional impact.
March 12, 2016
I just finished watching Lee Daniels The Butler and I have to say it was a top level movie. The pride that this man had in his service whether it is to his country his family or friend it cannot be matched.
The Butler is a movie that all should watch and it is not just a great story about this Butler but a great historical piece that will teach the world of all the hardships that mankind causes for itself.
I recommend this movie to be watched in conjunction with the movie called "Selma" Watch Selma first and then watch "The Butler"
Top performances by the entire cast. A movie that you have to watch and have as part of your collection.
Totally Recommended.
½ March 11, 2016
The Butler is a fine example of a film that boasts its cast, subject matter, and sentimentality. Its cast has a variety of big names that stand out more than their characters (except Whitaker's). It treats its subject matter - black history in political, racial, social, and cultural considerations - as an elementary outline on the basics, sporting no points, no solutions, and not even insight. Instead, history is treated as a backdrop of a slideshow. Then, its emotions are melodramatic, jumping from one cliche to the next, treating its characters as two-dimensional with no self-value independent of the plot demands. The only considerable benefactor here is Whitaker's performance of a character who is emotionally unstable and lacks a clear motivation.
March 11, 2016
Phenomenal cast, incredible true story of Eugene Allen, this is a must-watch for any American. Let us remember where we have come from as a country, not hide from it out of shame or hurt.
March 8, 2016
An emotive perspective of the American Civil rights movement, presented with a level of class and elegance making this movie as much an experience as a story. The awakening of the Butler mirrors the awakening of a nation as both mature and develop through the inescapable path demanded by their morality, character and integrity. A journey that will inevitably render the discerning viewer a person of improved character.
February 14, 2016
Gave up before the end
February 13, 2016
Was not interested after the first 15 minutes. The clear lies about this historical event made me want to vomit. I couldn't watch the rest.