The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano) Reviews

May 10, 2018
Great movie! The score sways with the story much like the ship he was born on. The music represents all the emotions normally found expressed by the characters. 1900's character development can be witnessed in the ever changing musical styles, all the while still remaining true to himself. This is a story of a man who's whole life is his music. The world comes to him time and time again yet 1900 remains mostly ambivalent and solely invested in his own music. When the world threatens to pass him by, he reluctantly accepts. This is a beautiful and tragic story and Tim Roth captures the heart of it perfectly.
May 9, 2018
Without any structure, focus or even narrative purpose, still the biggest problem with this disastrous (and overlong) mess of a film is how the personality of its title character (who remains an irritating sketch) and his forced friendship with the protagonist are so poorly developed.
April 26, 2018
With 'The Legend of 1900', director, Giuseppe Tornatore, crafts an entertaining fable which pays major respect and homage to the world of early, New Orleans Jazz.
Being that it is a legend, as well as being told by the musician who worked with the titular 1900 (yes, that is the character's name and the reason why he was born with that name is kickass), we, as an audience, are free to interpret it however we may choose. Was it all true or was it all exaggerated? You decide. I really like films that can pull off open interpretation without sacrificing focus. I personally found it to be quite a lovely and musically respectful work of both joy and sadness despite its occasional ridiculous/hokey moments.
I'd like to also give a shout out to all the exceptional actors and cinematography.
April 11, 2018
I can't understand why Tornatore has highly rated in China. It's like a Bollywood film. A interesting mess. Actually the script of this film is good, but it was destroyed by this poor director.
January 2, 2018
LOVE this movie!! Tim Roth is outstanding as 1900
½ November 6, 2017
One of the worst films i've ever seen, i'm shocked that so many people like it!
August 12, 2017
Beautiful film from a master of the medium.
July 21, 2017
The best movie you have never heard of
June 21, 2017
This movie is a pleasant piece of cinematography. It's nice to see and moreover to listen to. Morricone's compositions are magnificent, and so is the directing of Tornatore. Very well done film, capable to make emotion.
May 11, 2017
Such a interesting and sad movie. There is so much amazing music involved
October 29, 2016
I really liked this film, the mood, the duel, the playing love scene, and everything.
½ August 28, 2016
Bien intencionado intento de Tornatore de emular el glamour de Titanic, pero no esta a la altura de sus obras mayores. La secuencia climatica se siente larga y sobrada. Si vale el esfuerzo, es por Tim Roth y la musica.
July 5, 2016
This movie was beutiful with many whimsical scenes of just pure beauty!
June 23, 2016
'I can't help it. Music makes me cry.'
May 21, 2016
1900. Danny Boodmann, a stoker on an American passenger liner, Virginian, finds a baby abandoned on the ship. He names the child Danny Boodmann T.D. Lemon Nineteen Hundred '1900' and raises the child as his own until his death in an accident on the ship. The child never leaves the ship and turns out to be a musical genius, especially when it comes to playing the piano. As an adult he befriends a trumpet player in the ship's band, Max Tooney. After several years on the ship Max leaves, and tells the story of 1900 to the owner of a music store.

Interesting concept, not well used. The idea of a man who has never set foot on land, whose whole world is one ship and cannot relate to the world outside was a very original and promising one. However, the story really doesn't explore any of these themes well. The story is quite superficial, full of empty, devoid of context sentimentality and contrived, implausible situations. It's a simple linear storyline with faux-sentimental, style-over-substance scenes dropped in.

Even the tone is wrong. The movie is often cartoonish in its sub-plots and characters. What was needed was gravitas, not cheap thrills.

The conclusion does provide some insights into 1900's motivations and outlook on life but still isn't that profound.

This all said, the storyline was reasonably interesting and there is some good tension towards the end.

Solid work by Tim Roth in the lead role. Pruitt Taylor Vince is a touch unconvincing and irritating as Max Tooney. The lack of gravitas is almost entirely his, or at least his character's, doing. Supporting cast are fine.

Ultimately, a reasonably interesting plot but nothing more than that.
March 23, 2016
This movie is unparalleled in many aspects. The soundtrack, the reborn majesty of transatlantic steamships and the heartbreaking story of Danny Boodman T.D. Lemon 1900. Even if it is fictional, this movie is by far the best I have ever seen. With the Legend of 1900, one can be guaranteed light in even the darkest places and find inner happiness no matter where one is. When considering this movie, don't listen to the so called "critics". General audience members love this film and that's all that really matters.
½ March 4, 2016
Slow movie that, although heart felt, was a bit to heavy handed with its message. There were certain scenes of the film that did have me invested in 1900 as a character but overall I would say this is a one-time viewing film. No need to see it a second time. Another film of the late 90's that had potential and fell with a flop.
October 12, 2015
How can one go too far wrong with the duo of Tornatore and Morricone. This is a solid member of my top 5 movie list, and I think it has a lot to do with how it isn't a conventional Hollywood film. In fact, I'm amazed it was ever made at all, even overseas. The story is basically a bittersweet fairy tale for grown-ups, but unlike the typical comic book-inspired insipid metroplex fare, the story (and the extraordinary music) will not be soon forgotten. There are two scenes that will live in my heart forever - 1900 'cures' his newfound friend's seasickness by taking him on a grand piano ride in the ship's ballroom during a storm while playing a magic waltz; and the piano 'duel' 1900 has with Jelly Roll Morton. I wholeheartedly recommend it, knowing full well it's not for everyone.
April 22, 2015
Funny, sad and interesting.
November 15, 2014