The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of 1900 (La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano) Reviews

July 5, 2016
This movie was beutiful with many whimsical scenes of just pure beauty!
June 23, 2016
'I can't help it. Music makes me cry.'
May 21, 2016
1900. Danny Boodmann, a stoker on an American passenger liner, Virginian, finds a baby abandoned on the ship. He names the child Danny Boodmann T.D. Lemon Nineteen Hundred '1900' and raises the child as his own until his death in an accident on the ship. The child never leaves the ship and turns out to be a musical genius, especially when it comes to playing the piano. As an adult he befriends a trumpet player in the ship's band, Max Tooney. After several years on the ship Max leaves, and tells the story of 1900 to the owner of a music store.

Interesting concept, not well used. The idea of a man who has never set foot on land, whose whole world is one ship and cannot relate to the world outside was a very original and promising one. However, the story really doesn't explore any of these themes well. The story is quite superficial, full of empty, devoid of context sentimentality and contrived, implausible situations. It's a simple linear storyline with faux-sentimental, style-over-substance scenes dropped in.

Even the tone is wrong. The movie is often cartoonish in its sub-plots and characters. What was needed was gravitas, not cheap thrills.

The conclusion does provide some insights into 1900's motivations and outlook on life but still isn't that profound.

This all said, the storyline was reasonably interesting and there is some good tension towards the end.

Solid work by Tim Roth in the lead role. Pruitt Taylor Vince is a touch unconvincing and irritating as Max Tooney. The lack of gravitas is almost entirely his, or at least his character's, doing. Supporting cast are fine.

Ultimately, a reasonably interesting plot but nothing more than that.
March 23, 2016
This movie is unparalleled in many aspects. The soundtrack, the reborn majesty of transatlantic steamships and the heartbreaking story of Danny Boodman T.D. Lemon 1900. Even if it is fictional, this movie is by far the best I have ever seen. With the Legend of 1900, one can be guaranteed light in even the darkest places and find inner happiness no matter where one is. When considering this movie, don't listen to the so called "critics". General audience members love this film and that's all that really matters.
½ March 4, 2016
Slow movie that, although heart felt, was a bit to heavy handed with its message. There were certain scenes of the film that did have me invested in 1900 as a character but overall I would say this is a one-time viewing film. No need to see it a second time. Another film of the late 90's that had potential and fell with a flop.
October 12, 2015
How can one go too far wrong with the duo of Tornatore and Morricone. This is a solid member of my top 5 movie list, and I think it has a lot to do with how it isn't a conventional Hollywood film. In fact, I'm amazed it was ever made at all, even overseas. The story is basically a bittersweet fairy tale for grown-ups, but unlike the typical comic book-inspired insipid metroplex fare, the story (and the extraordinary music) will not be soon forgotten. There are two scenes that will live in my heart forever - 1900 'cures' his newfound friend's seasickness by taking him on a grand piano ride in the ship's ballroom during a storm while playing a magic waltz; and the piano 'duel' 1900 has with Jelly Roll Morton. I wholeheartedly recommend it, knowing full well it's not for everyone.
April 22, 2015
Funny, sad and interesting.
November 15, 2014
Love it, great performance of Tim Roth
September 14, 2014
A beautiful film, both visually and emotionally. However, I couldn't shake the feeling I didn't know anymore what it was actually all about than the filmmakers did.
September 11, 2014
A beautiful fable with a powerful ending. I can relate very well to 1900s philosophy.
August 22, 2014
I absolutely adore this movie. I came across it by accident when I first subscribed to Netflix. The music is mesmerizing and the story is wonderfully thoughtful and unique. All the critics who pan it are probably Quentin Tarantino fans and only give good ratings to movies with lots of meaningless violence and sex. I'd watch this movie every day.
July 1, 2014
imaginative,original,and well filmed.
½ June 12, 2014
A fascinating, highly entertaining, and well directed story, featuring amazing performances from the characters. The only flaw is that 1900 doesn't want to leave the ship for a reason, this reason should be stronger than the one he provided in the film which was weak.
½ May 14, 2014
Strange film about an artist in isolation. By turns funny, beautiful, but strangely hollow. Should be seen as either a fairy tale or a grand lie told by a broken down jazz player.
April 4, 2014
En gang totalt meningsløs farvelade. Billederne og musikken er som altid hos Tornatore en vidunderlig oplevelse, men far er skuffet. Så den lange version, men den korte havde været rigeligt.
March 12, 2014
There's no better movie than this; neither is there a better actor than Tim Roth.
March 4, 2014
[2014-3-4] The music was so sad, just like the 1900...
½ February 28, 2014
Well, I have seen some Tornatore-flicks and they tend to be very pretty. This one is a pretty one as well, involving ships, pianos and a very long journey.

There are some flaws here, you will think, "Well, no way that would happen" or "I would never delt with it that way". It shifts from wonderful til mediocre. It's also very long. I saw the 160 minutes version, but I still feel that it couldn't have been cut down much. The score is amazing, naturally, and at times you can close your eyes and just experience the sounds. I must say that it's well acted as well.

Maybe a bit clicheful, with stereotypical characters and a way of presentation that does not stand out. It's pretty easy to figure the ending of many scenes.
Tornatore has earlier tributed the woman, his city, his love for film and now also music and jazz.

I don't know why but it's still pretty unknown. A few adjustments could have done it great, but this is "just" very good. A big plus is the amazing duel scene, woah!

7 out of 10 shakey eyes.
February 24, 2014
"I think land people waste a lot of time wondering why. Winter comes and you can't wait for summer.. summer comes... you live in dread of winter. That's why you never tire of traveling. You're chasing some place, far away where it's always summer. Doesn't sounds like a good bet to me."
Almost three hours of a wonderful movie. Of course, you have to love music first.. and then Pruitt Taylor Vince, which is always a delight..
February 18, 2014
Roth's performance propells the movie as it's touching and sweet and all together heartbreaking.....a movie that gets you thinking after you watch it.