The Legend of Billie Jean - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of Billie Jean Reviews

July 6, 2016
Eh, it has a classic quality, and I love the Pat Benatar hit "Invincible". What really drew me into this film was the pool scene when Billie cut her hair. As soon as that guitar solo kicked in, I mean, wow! It brought back such great memories that it almost makes me cry!
But aside from that tune, the movie as a whole could have been allot better, and the whole twist was over a stupid scooter! Kinda shows to prove that the people who created this, had no confidence in what they were writing! Too bad, because they could have made a storyline, which could have made this film something special. Even forcing the Joan of Arc philosophy on us was not very satisfying! One wasted opportunity of an 80's flick for young adults!
½ June 20, 2016
Girl becomes media sensation for her teen peers in this road comedy that could've easily been an Afternoon Special.
April 26, 2016
Teen road comedy that loses its identity before it can even establish one.
May 20, 2015
The Joan of Arc of the '80s.

Fair is fair! Woefully unrealistic, but awesome! This movie is everything that was amazing about the '80s!

It's a Slater-fest. All that's missing is Mario Lopez.

The reviewer was the attempted rapist, who got sot.
March 24, 2015
I do love me some camp.....well like me some as far as this movie goes.
February 14, 2015
Entertaining, music overtures add meaning to an otherwise weak plot. Attempts at a moral campaign against child abuse.
December 21, 2014
The Legend of Billie Jean is a disappointing film. It is a Texas teenager who cuts her hair short and becomes an outlaw martyr with her brother and friends. Helen Slater and Keith Gordon give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Matthew Robbins did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ December 18, 2014
The Legend Of Billie Jean deals with sensationalism and rebellion in a time before "viral internet" movements, soiled in 80's MTV generation antics. It's not totally serious about its statement though, as its a fun road trip film that deals with a small town trailer park girl who's quickly sensationalized after running from trouble with a store clerk and his son who in turn stirred up trouble for her and her brother, and bringing her friends along. It capitalizes on just how the smallest things are sensationalized and how ridiculous and far it could go, but I also like to think its meant to be over-exaggerated and silly, because that would work to the film's benefit. Helen Slater plays up the role real well, creating her own identity but never quite sinking into the fame or bathing in it, thus not losing site of who she is. If anything, she uses the media and followers to her advantage to say what she needs to say and get her goals across. I'm not saying its a smart movie because it is played up with 80's cheese, but it isn't completely dumb either. Its a film to kick back and have fun with.
½ November 30, 2014
One of my childhood favorites and it has aged well and still holds up. A very 80's movie that helps to add to the charm. Underrated gem is how I would describe it in 2 words or less.
½ September 5, 2014
Pat Benatar states at her concerts before belting into "Invincible", "This is from the worst movie ever made." She right that this film is no classic, but it does have it's 80s charms. Written and directed by Matthew Robbins, who made the fine fantasy film "Dragonslayer" and later went on to some terrific collaborations with Guillermo del Toro, is responsible for this bit of 80s nostalgia. It tells the story of Billie Jean, the very likable Helen Slater, who goes on the run after her brother, Christian Slater, thwarts her rape by accidentally shooting the rapist, Richard Bradford. While on the run, she becomes something of a folk hero and a media icon. The film has pretensions around making a statement on commercialization and rebelling against "the man" which really wrecks what could have been a fairly simple and enjoyable 80s flick. Keith Gordon, Peter Coyote, Yeardley "Lisa Simpson" Smith and Dean Stockwell also appear in the film. It's not a good film by any measure, but it did have a certain amount of camp value and 80s nostalgia that made it enjoyable enough of a time waster. Produced by Jon Peters and Peter Guber before they took over Hollywood with the Tim Burton "Batman".
August 31, 2014
So-so 80's cult favorite, not as much fun as "The New Kids" from the same
era, or the outstanding "Firstborn" from 1984.
½ August 16, 2014
Totally 80s on every level, and if your into that- its pretty epic still. Any anyone not into the Slater power duo then delete me off your friends list now.
July 25, 2014
It's still one of the best movies I ever seen
May 15, 2014
Yeah, 3/5 stars is what this movie deserves. Got to wonder if there aren't full deleted scenes. Its a cute comming of age film that tries to wax poetically about the treatment of children by their peers and parents, suffering at the hands of their fellow human's failures or misguided successes, their tribalism. But there are scenes that means its under developed. Particularly Lloyd's character, who would have made for a great foil character. In the meantime, we got a nice pulpy film complete with a rocking Pat Benatar theme (weighing out a misuse of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell; got to wonder if people knew the meaning of songs back in the 80's, considering In the Air Tonight was mis-used by everyone except Miami Vice).
May 6, 2014
With their father dead and their mother busy trying to land a steady beau, pretty teen Billy Jean Davy (Helen Slater) and her younger brother, Binx (Christian Slater), spend their time riding Binx's moped and dreaming of life in Vermont -- several climate zones away from the humid, omnipresent heat of their Texas town. One day, on their way from their trailer park home to a swimming hole, the Davy kids run afoul of rich boy Hubie Pyatt (Barry Tubb) and his cronies, who steal -- and later trash -- the scooter Binx bought with his father's paltry life insurance benefits. Demanding payment from Hubie and his merchant dad (Richard Bradford) for the damage that's been inflicted on both the bike and her brother's face, Billie Jean narrowly escapes being raped by the elder Pyatt. In the ensuing scuffle, Binx accidentally shoots Mr. Pyatt, sending himself, Billie Jean, and their friends, Ophelia (Martha Gehman) and Putter (Yeardley Smith), on the lam. When the "Billie Jean Gang" becomes a media sensation, Pyatt capitalizes on their notoriety by selling T-shirts and bric-a-brac, while policeman Ringwald (Peter Coyote), who feels guilty for having refused to help Billie Jean, tries to bring the kids in without anyone getting hurt. However, when the gang mock-kidnaps rich amateur filmmaker Lloyd (Keith Gordon), unaware that he's the district attorney's son, the situation spins out of control. Soon, Lloyd's videotape of the suddenly crop-topped, Joan of Arc-emulating, eminently telegenic Billie Jean elevates a local headline into a national sensation, and even Lloyd's attraction to Billie Jean can't protect her from the media lightning rod she's become...

I never saw "The Legend Of Billie Jean" back in the 80īs but I do remember the cover of the VHS cassette. The storyline is as current as ever, with sexual harassment and bullying as the centre piece. Something we hear about almost everyday nowadays. And the will to be free and able to live life without being harassed as a woman for being a woman. Yes, itīs done with a way too campy 80s comedy style that feels outdated today, but the serious topics still comes out in the movie. Helen Slater fits the role of the unlikely heroine and a strong young woman fighting for justice. And my god how beautiful she was in 1985! Dreamy to use an 80s word. This was Christian Slaterīs movie debut, but he does a good job and you can already see here that he would go far in Hollywood. Great title song in Pat Benatarīs "Invincible". As said campy, but I enjoyed "The Legend Of Billie Jean" and this movie deserves a second chance today.
December 11, 2013
Great Classic Movie!!!!!
July 18, 2013
AMAZING. Feminist rockstar film.
March 24, 2013
Jana and I watched it all the time
March 17, 2013
FAIR IS FAIR!

Really great flick about two siblings who basically stand up to the have mores. I wonder if this story would have more of an impact in today's day, since the rich and their like have even more power over the have not's of today?

It all stems from the great cast. I am in the group that thinks Helen Slater is one of the most gorgeous women ever. She is totally adorable here: kind of the girl next door for the first half, the stylish sexpot the second half. Christian Slater sounds nothing like he does now, but he's quite good as her brother too. Even 'Lisa Simpson' is pretty good as one of the friends. I liked Keith Gordon, but I will admit they set up a love story that never really goes anywhere.

The Joan Of Arc angle was quite nice and set up for a very great shot in the end.

And how can you not love a movie that uses the greatest Pat Benatar song over and over...it's even blended into the score!