The Legend of Drunken Master (Jui kuen II) (Drunken Fist II) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of Drunken Master (Jui kuen II) (Drunken Fist II) Reviews

½ December 31, 2016
great movie. very funny and some BEASTLY fight scenes. he's SO FAST. and I really can't believe the extent to which he does his own stunts (1 viewing)

SPOILERS

Like lighting himself on fire, crazy
½ September 1, 2016
"The Legend of the Drunken Master" ranks alongside some of the greatest martial arts movies of all time.
July 10, 2016
Possible Chan's best fight choreography ever
April 20, 2016
Best Jackie Chan movie
April 4, 2016
One of the only comedies that I can honestly say is five stars; this movie is hysterical and endlessly entertaining, whether you're watching it alone or with friends.
March 4, 2016
Wong Fei Hong (Jackie Chan) was only looking to sneak some ginseng through customs, but his desire for duty-free shopping results in him being accidentally embroiled in a plot by a British imperialist to steal valuable Chinese artifacts. Unfortunately for the villains, Wong is a master of a deadly form of martial arts that, to the embarrassment of Wong's father, requires its practitioner to be drunk while fighting. The Legend of Drunken Master is one of the most entertaining vehicles for Jackie Chan's talents as both martial artist and physical comedian. This film rolls along enjoyably thanks to its goofy humor, likable characters, and a number of boundlessly creative fight scenes.
February 16, 2016
Lot of fighting and acrobatics. Not much of a storyline.
½ February 15, 2016
WOW!
The final fight scene is so good that it made me cry.
The Legend of Drunken Master is a masterpiece.
January 6, 2016
If there was a 6th Star on this app, that's what I would give the fight sequences in Drunken Master. This is Jackie Chan at his all-time greatest I think. I know some editing was done of these scenes, but it's hard for me to comprehend how each scene didn't take 1,000 attempts to get right.

A step behind the fight sequences, you'll find the humor in this movie. Even as you're watching with subtitles to follow the story, the facial expressions and comedic timing of the cast will have you laughing.

Being born in '89, I tend to think that even some of the worst movies now are better than good movies from the 70s and 80s. This movie will make me look like an idiot though. It still holds up, and will continue to hold up for a long, long time.

I highly recommend this movie to all fans of action, martial arts, comedy, adventure and movies in general.
January 2, 2016
Show me a person who dislikes Jackie Chan and I will show you a person that I can't be real friends with. This pseudo-sequel is full of what we love with the martial arts master: fight choreography that is as funny as it is breathtakingly brilliant. Chan is great of course, but Mui, who plays his step-mom, steals the show. Good-looking, quickly paced, and hilarious.
½ September 6, 2015
Si Armadura de Dios fue una ligera decepción, esta continuación de la saga de Chan del luchador borracho ha sido todo lo contrario. Tiene los ingredientes suficientes para ser todo un espectáculo.

La trama es sencilla, pero todos sabemos que lo importante es tener las excusas suficientes para ver una lucha tras otra. Y aquí estamos más que satisfechos.

Chan está tan sobreactuado como siempre, pero le dejan tener algún momento dramático que demuestra que algo de actuación puede hacer. Sin embargo el show lo roba Anita Mui, haciendo de su madre y que es sin duda el centro de todo lo cómico que sucede en la película.

Y como no, los combates están muy bien coreografiados, son abundantes y entretenidos, y tenemos algún que otro clásico stunt peligroso de Chan.

Una película tremendamente divertida.
½ August 19, 2015
Superb martial arts comedy that represents the very best of Jackie Chan's work. Chan is at his best playing Wong Fei-Hung and the 'drunken boxer' concept is a perfect combination to show off both his martial arts prowess & comedic skills, as the only way he can fight is by getting drunk. He gets great support from the rest of the cast, particularly Anita Mui as his scheming, Mahjong loving stepmother, who even gets to show off some martial arts skills herself. Behind the camera, the crew craft a fun film with plenty of brilliant martial arts & comedic sequences (the final 20 minute is a masterpiece). Overall, one of Jackie Chan's best films, which by default, makes it one of the best & funniest martial arts films ever.
August 3, 2015
An action coreography that's second to none.
July 27, 2015
The fights are amazing; the final sequence at the steel mill is completely fucking insane. You have to see it. And, while the story is stupid and the villains absurd (and not in a fun way), there's still enjoyable elements to the non-fighting scenes, such as the refreshingly sympathetic and non-evil step-mother (she's a real brassy, tough broad, I liked that character quite a bit), and...OK maybe that's it. But those fights! Also Andy Lau in a weird cameo that I kept expecting to pay off somehow.
May 30, 2015
Funny and entertaining to a fault. The fight sequences are outstanding and fun to watch. Jackie Chan proves us he's brave and will do whatever it takes to give the audiences what they want. "The Legend of Drunken Master" or "Drunken Fist II" in Hong Kong achieves everything what martial arts films should be: Not being serious.
March 25, 2015
The moment you see Jackie use Drunken Boxing ...you'll know its not just for show...
March 15, 2015
A fun story with memorable characters and creative action scenes that both amaze and make you laugh.
January 4, 2015
This is exactly the reason why I love Jackie Chan!
½ August 21, 2014
You know Jackie Chan was absolutely incredible before his body broke down. There are some scenes where Jackie is fighting and the film score plays in the background and you just think: 'man this guy was a genius.' Just the creativity of his, and his team's, choreography is something to behold. And the fact that he did this for so long too, Jackie was a star in China for almost 20 years before his big 'hit' in the U.S with Rumble in the Bronx. It's incredible to believe that his body even held up that long for him to have a successful career on this side of the world. Of course by the time Rush Hour 2 came out, his body was already starting to break down and he hasn't been the same since, but it's incredible his body held out this long. Considering that, it seemed to me, that Jackie at least tried to kill himself three times each movie, this movie is surprisingly pretty tame when it comes to stunts. Of course Jackie threw himself on fire in the film's climactic fight scene but, other than that, there was never any occasion where I felt that Jackie was trying to actively kill himself with his wild stunts. With that said, I thought this film was an absolute blast and massively entertaining. It's a shame that the only available version of this film was the English dub version. I can imagine enjoying this movie more if I had the original Cantonese version. With that said, this film is still a blast. It's got a good combination of comedy and fighting scenes with, as mentioned, the choreography being absolutely topnotch. Where the movie falters is in its more serious story moments, with the British coming in and trying to steal Chinese artifacts. The story deals with, of course, a sense of national pride and not letting your culture and identity be taken away. Jackie gives this speech to some Chinese goons that the British have hired whether or not they feel shame betraying the motherland. He didn't say it in those words, but that was the gist of it. So as you can see it is a little corny and heavy handed, but it is what it is. The story isn't exactly that important in this type of film. Anita Mui, while her voice IS dubbed, certainly stole the show with her energetic and silly performance. She was just very openly having a blast and she does a great job here. See, that might be the main reason I wanted the Cantonese version, if I found her entertaining with her voice dubbed, I would've found her even funnier in the original audio. Jackie is appropriately goofy and silly as well, but Anita steals the show by a country mile. I realize The Raid and The Raid 2 are simply on another level of intensity and physicality of its fighting scenes, but I think we should still take a moment to appreciate just how good Jackie Chan truly was. This guy, at his peak, was absolutely out of this world. It's obvious he won't ever be as influential in the martial arts film genre as Bruce Lee was, even if Jackie has achieved more worldwide fame, his influence on the genre won't be the same because Bruce Lee was the first that crossed over to find success on this side of the world. With that said, I do think that Jackie Chan simply blew Bruce out of the water with his creativity as far as choreography goes, I don't think that can even be argued. Because of that, and because of the dangers he put himself through, I will always have a massive amount of respect for Jackie. Like I mentioned before, this isn't even close to one of his craziest films, but it's still incredibly entertaining and that's really all that matters in the long run.
½ August 19, 2014
One of Jackie's great films.