Ye yan (Legend of the Black Scorpion) (The Banquet) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ye yan (Legend of the Black Scorpion) (The Banquet) Reviews

September 5, 2016
Dollar then a stack of hammers, this overlong over pretentious movie is totally confusing totally pretentious, and in love with its own slow mo photography.
January 26, 2015
This film is beautifully shot with gorgeous costumes, good performances and some interesting martial arts choreography. Sadly the film suffers from a underwritten script executed with confusing tones taking away from the sumptuous cinematography. It just makes you angry about how great this film could have been.
June 29, 2014
'Chinese' and 'tragedy' go together often, this one is no different. It's about visuals 1st, story 2nd, action 3rd. All three were done fabulously. But it is one of those epic movies that you would never want to watch often...once in about 5 years - only once you've forgotten it.
½ January 27, 2014
Clairement, Feng Xiaogang est un esthete de l'image. Tous les plans sont des tableaux dans lesquels le realisateur se montre beaucoup moins a l'aise pour faire evoluer une histoire qui traine en longueur a cause d'une gestion catastrophique du rythme. Si Zhang Ziyi et Huang Xiaoming sont excellents, Daniel Wu est toujours aussi fade. Le score de Tan Dun est absolument inadaptee.
½ November 9, 2013
A silly melodrama with gorgeous imagery and stylishly choreographed fight scenes.
September 12, 2013
Tended to drag (I'm also horribly unfamiliar with Hamlet, so I lost a bit of context occasionally). Costumes and sets were absolutely beautiful. I was mesmerized by the opening scene and song. I wasn't too wow'd by any particular actor, and the wirework bordered on ridiculous a lot of the time, but other than that it was a good film.
½ December 14, 2012
Have some good scenes but is generally to long and focusses to much on fantastic pictures instead of an intriguing story.
December 7, 2012
Looks interesting will try to find and watch!
½ November 14, 2012
Wuxia movie based on Hamlet. Set in the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period, in 10th-century China. Beautifully filmed and choreographed. Its almost dance and music, not martial arts.
October 21, 2012
good movie. lots of symbolism :D
August 2, 2012
I doubt that anyone could claim that this film isn't very pleasing to look at. The cinematography, the art design, the costumes, the battle choreographies, the settings, they're all very nice to look at, breath-takingly stunning even. Add in talented actors (Zhang Ziyi especially will always remain close to my heart) and a beautifully performed score and you have a film that has a very pretty outer exterior.

Unfortunately the story and the plot don't quite manage to keep up. The film suffers from an inability to tell a coherent story and to keep its viewers engaged to the plot. Right from the first few scenes we are left wondering just what in the name of gods is going on and where this story is going. Of course some of these questions get eventually answered and knowing that this is based on Hamlet helps a lot, although it should be able to stand on its own merits when it comes to the latter. Naturally, some might argue that one should just pay attention and that some questions don't need answering, but the fact remains that sometimes a whole scene goes by and only later we learn just what happened, if we learn at all. The major example is the last scene, which to me feels completely useless and confusing, as the main conflict has already been resolved and thus the events of the ending scene just leaves us confused and a bit angry, because it means that we never resolve one of the biggest mysteries of the film, although naturally there are hints and nudges, but all of them are inconclusive. That's just bad storytelling if you ask me. Viewers are naturally curious and leaving us hanging like that serves no purpose.

Nevertheless, I can't say that I dislike this film. It's gorgeous to look at, the actors are talented and it's only the plot that keeps this movie from being all that good. But, sometimes the pretty exterior is all that one needs to spend a few hours, and for that purpose this movie is more than enough.
July 29, 2012
Quite sumptuous and lavish, but the high drama seems to stifle the actors, creating a film which is a little soulless.
June 20, 2012
A lot of people obviously worked on this. The big production can't carry the thing through however. Despite working on excellent Shakespeare material, the story manages to be 'okay' at best.
May 29, 2012
wow! the only thing that is more stunning than the set designs and cinematography is the acting, daniel wu acts half of the time with a blank mask on his face which he says is supposed to be absence of emotion and only his movements are to tell the actual story, ge you (though not as charismatic as other villains in movie history) is equally as loving as he can be terrifying yet a few scenes have him make one feel sorrow for him, but in the end zhang ziyi has created a performance that is beyond convention and should be considered everything as praised as the best actress helen mirran did in the queen with more restraint, more passion, and more venom... only downfall i have with this movie is the american title 'legend of the black scorpio' is a horrible and misleading name when it should go back to it's original translation 'the banquet'... if it has not been seen yet go out now and see it, i'll be open for any discussions on the ending (which i believe is up there with no country for old men)
May 27, 2012
It's like the chinese hamlet. I Loved every moment.
May 6, 2012
Equivalent to attending a massive feast only to discover the main course is missing, The Banquet is frequently stunning, beautifully shot, but ultimately undernourishing.
May 5, 2012
Traditional Chinese legend, love and power, beautiful pictures
April 2, 2012
A masterpiece of cinematic art whose only downfall is to leave you not caring all that much about any of the charcaters.
January 17, 2012
Stylish, beauutiful production of Hamlet Chinese style. Set during the end of the Tang Dynasty, it tells the story of Wu Lian, the heir of the Middle Kingdom whose father the emperor has been murdered by his uncle the usurper.
½ December 31, 2011
This magnificent looking production may be a bit on the slow side but it features some of the coolest martial arts choreography that I have seen in a very long time and its not enhanced by the overuse of digital effects like too many other current martial arts films.