The Legend of the Swordsman (Xiao ao jiang hu zhi: Dong Fang Bu Bai) (Swordsman II) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of the Swordsman (Xiao ao jiang hu zhi: Dong Fang Bu Bai) (Swordsman II) Reviews

½ April 5, 2016
This is probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE!! It's horrible.
May 24, 2015
Lunchtime for me these days is often surprise time because the classic films are often showed within this very awkward time frame. And yesterday was "Swordsman II" with my ever-favourite Brigitte Lin (and Rosamund Kwan, and Jet Li, and Michelle Reis). Still love every single frame of this film.
½ December 7, 2014
This is yet another one of those Kung Fu movies were I didn't have a clue what was going on. I had to watch it twice, just to try and understand who was who but St the end of the day, I was none the wiser. I got the fact that Jet Li's clan was looking for there master who had been locked up in a woman/man's dungeon, but apart from that I was completely lost. Once again, there's loads of flying action with people fighting in mid-air, which I found a bit ridiculous but the various characters made the movie watchable, even though I didn't know what was going on half the time. I couldn't believe that none of the characters didn't know that the man was a woman because she really did look like a man. Also, I was getting confused with who was who and why people were fighting each other without knowing who each other was. Anyway, if I understood what was going on, I'm sure that I would have liked it a bit more but I spent more time keeping up with the plot than actually enjoying it. Average!

Why do these oriental film makers have to make there movies so confusing when the concept is about different clans. Also, I'm getting really fed up with these flying on strings and fighting in mid-air action scenes. Most people who are into there Kung Fu movies, prefer the old ones which didn't have this flying in the air rubbish. I wonder if Bruce Lee would take to this style of action scenes if he was still alive? Anyway, enough of my moaning and back to this film. Jet Li puts in a good performance, alongside the different characters in the film but I'm yet to see a performance from Jet were he isn't flying in the air. Hopefully I will see a more realistic action movie from this fast fighting actor, when I watch the earlier movies.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: HK$34.5million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a clan who are looking for there master whilst fighting against different clans. 3/10
March 13, 2014
Great Jet Li movie with some incredible fight scenes. It is however extremely violent and bloody for a Jet film, so beware!
½ February 17, 2014
The style is big different from the first chapter.They rightly cast the performers to right characters,you will be stunned by Brigitte Lin's sharp act.Dazzling sword-plays ,Old Man can break the ground with bare hand,quick editing and Fast and Furious Pacing which will edge your seat and fill up your tension, how did they do that?Yes,before this is my favorite and rate it full stars,but until I saw King Hu's version,I have to slap myself.
May 2, 2013
A gender-flipping warlord (Brigitte Lin) has allied with some Japanese exiles in the hopes of toppling the Ming dynasty. The only obstacle in the path of their scheme is Ling (Jet Li), a drunken swordsman who was planning to give up martial arts. Swordsman II is a ridiculously campy mess with queer dialogue, goofball performances, and a willfully bizarre love story at the heart of things. Its maniacally brisk pace is helped along by a string of sharp, hyper-kinetic stunts and fight sequences. While hardly a masterpiece, it should provide some entertainment for those who like their kung-fu with a massive dose of cheese (It should be noted that a heavily altered version of this film was released in the U.S. as Legend of the Swordsman. Anyone interested in this movie should seek out the uncut version released in Taiwan).
½ April 26, 2013
This is one of my favorite Jet Li movies beyond his Wong Fei-hung & Fong Sai-yuk series. It has great action, a good story line, and even romance. Plus you have Brigitte Lin as Asia the Invincible and Rosamund Kwan. This is a classic among the Hong Kong martial arts films of the 90's.
October 28, 2012
Because of the Brigitte Lin final bittersweet demise.
September 29, 2012
Brigitte Lin (Lin Ching-Sia) at her finest. Golden Age of HK Kungfu Movies indeed.
July 22, 2012
Note to self. pole kuskil
June 29, 2012
Sometimes I was confused, but the crazy sword fights and needle throwing were cool.
June 2, 2012
This campy classic is too long. However, the wait is worth it for fans of supernatural kung fu flicks. Kwan from the Once Upon a Time in China is the daughter of martial arts wizard that Li has to save. But, the ultimate power comes from a sex-changing scroll. Plenty of jumping and shouting the move they are doing.
½ January 25, 2012
Wednesday, January 25, 2012

(1992) Swordsman II
(In Chinese with English subtitles)

Full of big name Chinese stars from the likes of Jet Li, Rosamond Kwan, Jacky Cheung and Hong Kong actress veteran Brigitte Lin follows a mythical tale about ruling powers within' China. Full of wire- fu effects, and not so much a fan of those either but plenty of sword fights and beheadings(looks fake, of course), back stabbers and betrayls and some comedy relief. Similar to what one can find on one of those long Chinese soap opera films except that it's all crammed into a film. The other thing I like about this film is that it's not all serious as say "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" or even "Hero"! Jet Li's boyish persona was still in tacted here before his movies went all serious and the subtitled version is better than seeing it dubbed.

3 out of 4
August 7, 2011
All the cockyness of the original without (mostly) the obnoxious soundtrack's main theme. Grimier too, even if this doesn't detract from humour nor fun. Add in the mix a weirdo Yin Yang transgender triangle, with the typical Hark sensual mood.
July 24, 2011
A completely insane but hugely entertaining wuxia film. It has a varied cast of characters, such as the Wah sword students and black magic cult returning from the first movie.

The real star is not Jet Li, but he dos perform well. The entire movie is stolen completely by Brigitte Lin, who plays a man who becomes a woman in order to obtain the power from a supernatural scroll.

High flying and super kinetic action follows. It looks like something out of an anime movie. With artistic action and a weird but entertaining story, it is considered one of the best Asian films. I have to agree, since this never had a dull second.

A superior sequel that is miles better than the first. Simply worth a viewing for Brigitte Lin's performance.
June 4, 2011
A great early Jet Li low budget, kung-fu film. A horse gets cut in half the long way. A man turns into a woman. People are killed from needle and thread. See it.
½ February 12, 2011
I liked it, but the fighting scenes are a little confusing...
March 26, 2010
The cast is amazing but this is too schizophrenic a fantasy for me. The budget is not big enough to support a story this ambitious.
February 21, 2010
Amazing effects during the year! A must watch if you love sword fighting, cults and flying fighting.

Brigitte Lin is a nice looking woman.