The Legend of the Swordsman (Xiao ao jiang hu zhi: Dong Fang Bu Bai) (Swordsman II) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Legend of the Swordsman (Xiao ao jiang hu zhi: Dong Fang Bu Bai) (Swordsman II) Reviews

November 22, 2009
I happen to think Jet Li has too much of an ego to make anything truly special. He turned down roles in both The Matrix and Crouching Tiger. He HAS to be in control of everything and that comes at a price. The price is he will never make anything relevant. This was a so-so martial arts movie. But it was his same tired forumla. C'mon dude, swallow your pride, find John Woo and send a script to the Wachowski Brothers or George Lucas and make something awesome.
October 10, 2009
Jet Li and Brigitte Lin is also a nice combo! :D :D
October 5, 2009
This movie really rocked! I bought this dvd not ever having heard of it before. I figured well, it stars Jet Li one of my 2 favorite martial arts movie actors (the other one being Gordon Liu) and the synopsis seems interesting, so I'll just get it and see what happens. It turns out that I bought what is now one of my favorite Martial Arts movies of all time. I loved everything about it! The fight scenes were too much, I always like seeing Japanese ninjas and Chinese Kung-Fu masters go at it, (not many martial arts movies mix both cultures), the weapons were great and the settings, especially at night the foggy sky made the fighting look even better. This is a must see for martial arts movie lovers.
September 1, 2009
A must see film. Superb & Captivating
June 21, 2009
Incredible story with Hong Kong legends Jet Li and Brigitte Lin. Wuxia in the extreme, with many impossible displays of kung fu.
March 12, 2009
Let me echo: I'm rating the subtitled CAntonese version, not the American release.
½ February 20, 2009
Note: The version pictured is the inferior, poorly-edited version smacked together and packaged for US viewing. Take my advice: find the earlier version.

Context is everything. How you see a film is almost as important as how well it was made. I saw the new "Planet of the Apes" as a midnight feature in Seoul, with English subtitles. I would have had a vastly inferior experience seeing it on DVD...not that "PotA" was anything to call home about (even tho I did call up my GF afterward).

I saw "Swordsman 2" at the Great Star Theatre (now gone), deep in SF's Chinatown. Their snack-bar offered shrimp-chips before I'd ever heard of them. Most of the audience was Chinese; and I was getting a real cultural experience, just going to this theatre (the ads, for instance, were all stills, with a narrator hawking the various goods in Mandarin--I think).

The director, Tsui Hark, tends to muddy the plots in his movies with many characters, pursuing different agenda's. In S2 the plot is clear, the moral lessons apparent (absolute power corrupts).

Every character has his/her own unique power; the music is well-composed, the acting superb-- with just the right balance of camp. Best of all, the evil villain gains great supernatural powers by...becoming a woman. And, you cannot go wrong with Jet Li and Brigitte Lin at the acting helm.

This film was also done at a time when actors wearing wires and jumping around was considered state-of-the-art-special-effects: but this film is one of the few I've seen that use wires as part of the plot (eg, ninja's sneaking into compounds; renegade Samurai "grass-walking," etc), rather than a cheap gimmick.
February 19, 2009
i have it but i havent watched it yet =(
January 30, 2009
Brigitte Lin is superb as Asia the Invincible, perhaps her most carreer-defining role. A much more improved version of the first movie in the series, with better actors, more elaborate wirework and beautiful design. The plot is quite a mess, rather a rule when it comes to these wuxia fantasies, but with some uncharacteristically strong female characters quite deliberately raising gender related questions.
½ November 29, 2008
Really dumb, but so stupid it is amazingly funny. Reminds me of anime. Anyways, love Jet Li, and think this is a pretty fun movie to watch =)
½ November 2, 2008
Avoid Miramax version.
½ September 17, 2008
the power of this movie is definitely from the character of the invicible Asia (cast by Briggite Lin).no need too much talk.just a gleams of her eyes show everything
½ September 11, 2008
the plot of this movie gives me a headache, but it is one of the better examples of the genre
September 9, 2008
Incredibly perfect staged Martial Arts in a
"dreamlike" World. I love Brigitte Lin!
August 22, 2008
I like the old high flying kung fu flicks, but I couldnt get into the fight scenes in this. Its so exagerated as to how they get around like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon..they pretty much fly.The story was eh. Sorry Jet.
½ August 22, 2008
good show

its good

can be much betta ?
½ August 19, 2008
No one can deny that this one initiated an era of Hong Kong martial-art movies. The art design makes the viewing experience a dream.
August 19, 2008
dang good movie to watch
½ August 19, 2008
Swordsman 2, personally didnt think it matched the original as it steped on to much of the same ground.
Invincible adds a new baddy at the end but overall it still a great and amazin movie
August 19, 2008
You think Matrix was great? Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon a revolutionary movie? Wait untill you discover Jet Li and Brigitte Lin ( what a beauty!!!) fighting and flying around...nothing to say, just rent the bloody movie now!