Legendary Weapons of China - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legendary Weapons of China Reviews

February 25, 2017
Lau Kar Leung directed and stars in this kung-fu film about flagging martial arts and magic society seek to stop a former member who is now giving the group a bad name and who is responsible for their decline. Gordon Liu plays the former member in a "guest starring" role, so he's not in the film all that much, but he has one excellent fight sequence that's the highlight of the film. Like most of Lau Kar Leung's films, but fight scenes are well stages, though they're a bit old school and would probably come off as rather corny to casual viewers. Still, I thought this was a quite enjoyable martial arts film.
July 11, 2016
Some series action in this. The fighting is breathtaking, especially the one with Gordon Liu in the yellow robe. Carnage.
April 11, 2016
In my former role as martial arts cinema researcher for EL REY NETWORK, I have to say this is one of the most overrated films from the Shaw Brother's vault. Too many characters, too many storylines and the "spiritually motivated" puglisitis are way out somewhere in left field. Sorry, I prefer more realistic martial arts fare such as KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM.
July 24, 2014
The name of the weapon showing up on screen every time it is introduced gives the finale a very video game feel. Lots of weapons, including one I hadn't seen before, and voodoo.
November 25, 2012
Latter day Shaw Brothers black magic martial arts-comedy in which seemingly everyone who is anyone is incognito: the narrative reveals and exposes characters throughout the film's 109-minute runtime and a scorecard may not be enough to help some audiences piece together the plot. But Liu Chia Hui has choreographed "Legendary Weapons of China" with a considerable amount of skill beautifully cut & pasted by veteran editors Lee Yim-hoi and Chiang Hsing-lung. And the film lives up to its marketing utilizing the 18 traditional weapons of Chinese martial arts that sooner or later find themselves in the hands of some of the studio's mainstays.
½ July 25, 2012
Legendary Weapons of China is extremely silly, strange, and hard-to-follow but the film is mostly worth seeing for its superbly crafted fight choreography that uniquely uses all 18 legendary weapons of China. And it is glorious. The rest of the film may slightly feel like a chore to get through but the fight scenes are more or less worth it. If that's not enough then the incredible fight between two of the greatest names in Chinese Kung Fu cinema, Gordon Liu and Lau Kar Leung, may be enough to satisfy you.
½ August 23, 2011
Considered a quintessential movie for the martial arts genre. It does not have a lot in terms of plot, but the final fight scenes are full of fantastic weapon fight scenes. It does have a bit of humour with Liu Chia-Liang, (aka Lay Kar Leung) pretending to not be the famous Lei Kung. Fantastic fight scenes, and a must see for those interested in the martial arts genre.
August 9, 2011
Most of the time the kung fu is just extraordinary. It's too bad the plot isn't more focused I would consider this exceptional. I thought that I was in for something really special when someone ripped off their own nut sack in the first 5 minutes. Unfortunately it sorta loses its footing in the first half w/ some unwanted comedy. It's too bad. As well it just doesn't have enough Gordon Liu in it. He's in it @ the beginning for a bit & then disappears until about the hour & fifteen minute mark when he returns to show his mad skillz for one fight. All too brief. A pretty good fight @ the end where you actually get to see a battle featuring the 18 legendary weapons. There is some good shit here but you have to take the good w/ the bad. Doesn't need to be as long as it is. If it had trimmed the fat it would have been great
½ October 27, 2010
Several imaginative fight sequences abound, but this movie really shines for the final two fights which last a combined fifteen minutes and cycle through all eighteen legendary weapons of china. Lau Kar Leung is my favorite Kung Fu director, and here we see some of his best choreography.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ October 29, 2009
Fantastic fight sequences needless to say, but the story feels all over the place. Lau Kar Leung has done better.
½ September 21, 2009
Entertaining SB movie. Nice collection of shiny weapons :)
½ August 21, 2009
on eof the all time greatest Kung Fu movies, featuring one of the best martial artists, Lar Kar Lueng, a martial art practioner of Hun Gar Kung fu.
½ July 15, 2009
Researching legendary weapons of China on Wikipedia would be much more entertaining than watching this film.
½ May 2, 2009
This is the 6th movie from Chia-Liang Liu I've seen and would probably put it as his 2nd best among those, behind Drunken Master II. Excellent combat and a good story. Actually at the start it was confusing as all hell but still entertaining. Once things started to make sense, it was much better. The final fight felt a bit long since they insisted on using all 18 legendary weapons (though often 2 at a time), but it's hard to complain with this himself legendary actor-director-choreographer running things. Gordon Liu was also perfect as a villain. And for 1982, this still felt traditional as a Shaw Brothers epic, but it looks better, and everyone's skills are better.
March 16, 2009
This movie is amazing in its ridiculousness and fight scenes. They dont make movies like this anymore.
February 24, 2009
One of my favorite Kung Fu flicks. I don't know why I love it so much, I just do.
½ July 11, 2008
How to make an epic film where the last half takes place all on the same set - but when awesome martial arts are happening on said set, who cares? Audacious directing and some insanely hilarious scenes; incredibly drawn out fights that somehow never drown out the highly likeable characters.
June 28, 2008
HOLY FUK IN THE FACE! quailty!!!!!!!
June 24, 2008
Claimed to Liu Chia Liang's best movie ever but I feel it has been highly overrated. To much hokus pokus; boring and silly.
½ April 26, 2008
Technically, it seems China only has one weapon, which is a knife on a stick. But, like General Tao's Chicken, change the name and the colour and all the stupid foreigners get fooled.