Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return Reviews

½ February 20, 2015
It makes sense how this would be marketable. This movie has a lot of really imaginative sequences, and in terms of story and character development, is par for the course. So why did it fall flat with critics?

Where this movie fails spectacularly is tone. The movie is piggy-backing on a true classic that everyone knows the release year for. In certain ways, it is correct to deviate - it's okay to have a different villain, introduce new worlds in Oz, and be animated. But it also abandoned what we love - the known characters from the classic - the lion, scarecrow, and tin man - are nothing like the classics, and terribly delivered by their respective voice actors. Despite the fact that the audience is aware of the old film, the era it took place in, and the way people talked in it, the dialogue is 100 percent MODERN sounding and the story, for some reason, takes place in what appears to be the 1960s even though they reference that for Dorothy, the events of the original happened "only yesterday." As for the serious story stuff, only one character, the villain, is given a character in Oz - the other characters we meet in Oz have no real-world equivalent!

It's a middling product craft-wise, but it's totally tone-deaf, taking away what people liked about the classic, and replacing it with stock filler.
½ February 18, 2015
Even Though it has a all star cast of Actors The Movie Is Badly Writtien and has Bad and Repeated Jokes and Two Many Polt holes..
February 15, 2015
beautiful animation. decent story
January 30, 2015
Martin Short is great in this and I love the attempt of doing more with the Wizard of Oz story but it is really not doing anything worth watching and the songs are ok. Lea Michele does a great job as always when singing but none of the actors besides Short really gave an entertaining performance
January 28, 2015
this was a cute movie
½ January 19, 2015
a terrible terrible movie
January 17, 2015
i SOOO want to see it. Ive only seen like upto the end of the names in the begining on netflix
½ January 13, 2015
Wow... with a stellar cast, and I mean all-star, and this is the best the writers could do? Animation is great, and the porcelain city was the most compelling part; too bad the rest of the movie couldn't match it.
½ January 12, 2015
its not as good as the one i saw in 1982 or the 1939 version but its alot of fun plus it take some the elements from a tv serious i saw a while ago.
½ January 7, 2015
0 out of 10:

Oh. My. God. This is a sham. This is what they call an animated movie? No. I don't think so. This is a shame to Wizard of Oz fans out there. This story is consumed by dumb and useless characters, bad plot, annoying songs, and what a movie that makes you want to cover your ears. Even if you have a list of great actors its still not going to save this movie. I know some of you people actually liked this movie. CUDOS TO YOU!!! But I can't take this film anymore. This is not the worst movie ever like Lone Survivor. No. This film is the WORST animated movie I have ever seen!
½ January 2, 2015
24%

There's a reason this film bombed at the box office, the songs are terrible, the characters are incredibly forgettable except for The Jester, the only saving grace is the animation which even then, is not anything special, avoid this film at all costs, if you don't, you're in for a stinker.
½ January 2, 2015
Adelaide, my seven year old daughter, can't stop watching this since it came on netflix. She loves it! It's a bit cheesy for the adult viewers, but it's been made for kids who will love it.
December 30, 2014
If I let my eyes glaze over, it's really colorful. Joking aside, the film shot for the moon, and made it to Toledo. Great talent behind the voice acting, but the story was missing the wonder of the books, and the animation was woefully substandard for a $70 million production.
½ December 23, 2014
Cute movie. Don't know about all the "die, die, die". And this is a kid's movie. LOL
December 22, 2014
Defanatly worth the long wait cute film animation was phenomenal 2 thumbs up rent this film
½ December 20, 2014
Wtf did i just watch...
November 24, 2014
This is a really fun movie for all ages! It picks up where the Wizard of Oz left off. The music is beautiful and has a great plot.
½ November 10, 2014
It's not going to blow you away but it's, by no means, as lifeless and bad as critics suggest. The animation is simple, but charming and (at times) magical. The acting is above average and the music is playful, if not completely memorable. If you want a new journey to the land of Oz, this may very-well fill your craving!
½ November 5, 2014
Well, there wasn't much magic here. Not a horrible 90 minutes, but by upping the color and humor, they lost the emotion.
½ November 4, 2014
"Please kids, don't return to Oz!"
DVD Movie Review: Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return
Date Viewed: August 31 2014
Directed By Will Finn and Daniel St. Pierre
Written By Adam Balsam and Randi Barnes,
Based on "Dorothy of Oz" by Roger Stanton Baum
Featuring the voices of: Lea Michele, Dan Aykroyd, Jim Belushi, Kelsey Grammer, Hugh Dancy, Megan Hilty, Martin Short, Oliver Platt, Bernadette Peters and Patrick Stewart.

James Franco, please come back to Emerald City. All is forgiven. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" is a horrendous animated musical. It's supposed to be a sequel to "The Wizard of Oz" but didn't we just go to Emerald City last year? Sam Raimi's "Oz: The Great and Powerful" might have been a bloated spectacle but at least it had great effects compared to this fiasco. You might think that it didn't cost a fortune to make but you are wrong. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" cost $70 million dollars to make. Surprisingly, it opened in thousands of theaters instead of going directly to DVD.

Set a day after the events of "The Wizard of Oz", Dorothy (voiced by Lea Michele) gets transported back into Oz again by Scarecrow (voiced by Dan Aykroyd), The Cowardly Lion (voiced by Jim Belushi) and The Tin Man (voiced by Kelsey Grammer). She and her dog Toto are back in Oz again but Emerald City has been taken over The Jester (voiced by Martin Short) who is the brother of the late Wicked Witch of the West. WOW! Martin Short, Dan Aykroyd and Jim Belushi, three comedic talents wasted in a cheaply made animated feature. Isn't it just sad.

When Cowardly Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow get captured by The Jester, Dorothy and Toto set themselves on another adventure to find their friends. When she arrives at Candy County, she makes some new friends, a fat owl named Wiser (voiced by Oliver Platt), China Princess (voiced by Megan Hilty) and Marshall Mallow (voiced by Hugh Dancy). Oh yes, did I mention that there's a lollipop judge in this movie. His name is Judge Jawbreaker and he sentences Dorothy and Wiser to death for eating too much candy. OKAY! What kind of judge is he?

Later, Dorothy, China Princess, Wiser and Marshall Mallow meet an old tree named Tugg (voiced by Patrick Stewart) and they build a boat out of him in order to get to Emerald City. That's right. Dorothy's new friends are a fat owl, an annoying China Princess and a candy soldier. Stay with me parents, stay with me. We'll get through this. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" is completely devoid of charm and heart, it's the kind of cheap knock-off you would find at your local dollar store. Even though Lea Michele can sing, the songs in this movie are instantly forgettable. "Legends of Oz" is rated PG but there is just something weird about making a boat out of a talking tree. Would the tree feel any pain?

"Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" is not fascinatingly bad like "The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure", it's just a waste of time and money.