Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return Reviews

½ May 18, 2015
OK FOR KIDS AND FAMILY TO WATCH TOGETHER
April 30, 2015
Like most sequels, this one was just a rehash of its predecessor. Not only that, but the animation was straight-to-DVD quality, the editing was awful, and the movie fails to suck you in.
April 23, 2015
Clarius Entertainment's first plunge into feature animation is a breath of fresh air to the current state of animated family films. Nowadays, family animated films seem to be ashamed of being categorized as "kids movies," and artificially compensate this shame by disguising itself in layers of pointless adult humor and pop cultural gags. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" is pure, wholesome entertainment in its simplest form, a film aimed for kids (and kids at heart,) and is proud to serve this specific demographic. Nowhere in this film will you find pointless innuendos, rude sarcasm, and excessive violence. It tells a simple story for the sake of telling a story; while the end product does not tread any new ground, I enjoyed the ride tremendously and feel incredibly disheartened when it mis-performed at the North American box office last year. "Legends" misfire is a real shame, as the animation industry needs more films focused on story and charm, not these loud speedballs full of bells and whistles (*cough* *cough* Cars 2, Madagascar, Big Hero 6 *cough*.)

The charm and satisfying nature about "Legends of Oz" hinges on three factors: 1) the characters 2) the tone and 3) the music. First, the characters were magical extensions of their 1939 MGM counterparts; Wizard of Oz is the type of story so well-suited for animation, I find it puzzling that studios haven't ventured into L. Frank Baum's world more often. Scarecrow, (who is now a genius with a straw head full of Einsteinium equations) is my favorite, and is appropriately voiced by Dan Ackroyd. I especially have respect for the character designs and voice-work of Tin Man (who falls to pieces and is at times emotional,) Lion (now fearless,) and Glenda (big-headed, wasp-waisted, and has a "wicked" sense of humor to rival her former sisters.) I found Dorothy to be an extremely sympathetic, girl-next-door-type, and filmmakers' decision to cast the melodious "Glee" star Lea Michelle was the best bit of voice casting for an animated film this of 2014. Dorothy never falls back into submission to men like so many Disney Princesses before her; the finale of "Legends of Oz" finds our plucky heroine as the strongest individual to confront the evil Jester. She does it alone. Speaking of the Jester, Martin Short seemed born to play this part. He was able to be villainous without conforming to a "Wicked Witch"-brand of evil; he still has time to juggle balls and ride a unicycle on top of everything else he does.
The film's tone, as mentioned before, is the second factor contributing to "Legends" enjoyability. It refreshingly tells a story right without overly resorting to sarcasm and wisecracks. Its humor is comparatively simple, compared to those recent Pixar-Disney offering, which shout from the rooftops their cleverness and talk viewers to death with a million words per minute. While "Legends of Oz" does get chatty at times, (especially scenes where Wiser the Owl is present,) most of the dialogue is purposefully directed and is delivered with simplicity and concise articulation to appeal to its young 21st Century audience.

The last outstanding aspect about this film is its soundtrack. And that's saying quite a bit, as this film was released mere months after the new benchmark in animated musicals, "Frozen," was unleashed onto the world. While "Legends" does not soar to the lofty heights of "Frozen," the songs (many which were composed by Bryan Adams,) are quite good. Just the fact that this is a musical is commendable in itself, as the current animation industry is still characterized by a plethora of non-musical buddy comedies. "When the World" is the highlight, and is every bit as catchy and memorable as "Frozen's" "Let it Go." The song is sung during Dorothy's depressed attempt to pick up the pieces to her broken life; yet, the there is also a sense of hopefulness to this song. The duet "Even Now," between Hugh Dancy's Marshall Mallow and Megan Hilty's China Princess, was surprisingly touching, considering the fact that the song was, basically, a giant marshmallow serenading a broken piece of porcelain. I would buy this soundtrack if I could find it.

Now on downside, the film does show some cracks, (like China doll after her accident,) particularly the usual rookie first-time effort mistakes like pacing, transitions from scene to scene, and most noticeably, the ending. Ohhh, that ending... After Dorothy defeats the Jester, Glenda is freed and what she says is basically this: "Good job, Dorothy, now get out and go back home." This was incredibly rushed, and longed to see more time dedicated to showing Oz return to its former glory. Also, I did not buy into the evil investor guy paralleling the Jester in modern day Kansas. I almost wanted to see this character left out entirely, just to see Dorothy and her neighbors work together for a common purpose; this would make the song "Work With Me" all the more important and the pinnacle to the film's theme.

While "The Lego Movie" was the most visually appealing and funniest animated of 2014, "How to Train Your Dragon 2" was the most dramatic and blockbuster-y of 2014, I will always remember "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return" as the most pleasant and, overall, enjoyable animated film of that year.
March 28, 2015
Why do we even need this!?
½ March 20, 2015
One of the worst films I've ever seen. The animation is uneven and isn't as competent as other cheaper animated movies, the musical numbers are unnecessary, the script and slapstick are awful, the 'emotional' scenes are compromised, and the film ignores rules of its predecessor as well as adding rules from Narnia and the like. L. Frank Baum is rolling in his grave, and as a moviegoer who has had The Wizard of Oz stick with me since childhood, Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return is a massive gut punch. You owe it to yourself to avoid this. Verdict: F
March 10, 2015
I wanted it to be good....it was just bad
March 8, 2015
Loved it. Cute characters, unique designs, and references galore for those fans of the Oz books. Funny, too! Not bad for a new face in the animated movie scene. The shadow of MGM still looms over the Oz scene.
I do wish that Lion, Scarecrow and Nick had more screen time, and the ending was rather anticlimactic but it was still good.
Give it a chance, and don't let the AstroTurf fool you ;)
½ February 20, 2015
It makes sense how this would be marketable. This movie has a lot of really imaginative sequences, and in terms of story and character development, is par for the course. So why did it fall flat with critics?

Where this movie fails spectacularly is tone. The movie is piggy-backing on a true classic that everyone knows the release year for. In certain ways, it is correct to deviate - it's okay to have a different villain, introduce new worlds in Oz, and be animated. But it also abandoned what we love - the known characters from the classic - the lion, scarecrow, and tin man - are nothing like the classics, and terribly delivered by their respective voice actors. Despite the fact that the audience is aware of the old film, the era it took place in, and the way people talked in it, the dialogue is 100 percent MODERN sounding and the story, for some reason, takes place in what appears to be the 1960s even though they reference that for Dorothy, the events of the original happened "only yesterday." As for the serious story stuff, only one character, the villain, is given a character in Oz - the other characters we meet in Oz have no real-world equivalent!

It's a middling product craft-wise, but it's totally tone-deaf, taking away what people liked about the classic, and replacing it with stock filler.
½ February 18, 2015
Even Though it has a all star cast of Actors The Movie Is Badly Writtien and has Bad and Repeated Jokes and Two Many Polt holes..
February 15, 2015
beautiful animation. decent story
January 30, 2015
Martin Short is great in this and I love the attempt of doing more with the Wizard of Oz story but it is really not doing anything worth watching and the songs are ok. Lea Michele does a great job as always when singing but none of the actors besides Short really gave an entertaining performance
January 28, 2015
this was a cute movie
½ January 19, 2015
a terrible terrible movie
January 17, 2015
i SOOO want to see it. Ive only seen like upto the end of the names in the begining on netflix
½ January 13, 2015
Wow... with a stellar cast, and I mean all-star, and this is the best the writers could do? Animation is great, and the porcelain city was the most compelling part; too bad the rest of the movie couldn't match it.
½ January 12, 2015
its not as good as the one i saw in 1982 or the 1939 version but its alot of fun plus it take some the elements from a tv serious i saw a while ago.
½ January 7, 2015
0 out of 10:

Oh. My. God. This is a sham. This is what they call an animated movie? No. I don't think so. This is a shame to Wizard of Oz fans out there. This story is consumed by dumb and useless characters, bad plot, annoying songs, and what a movie that makes you want to cover your ears. Even if you have a list of great actors its still not going to save this movie. I know some of you people actually liked this movie. CUDOS TO YOU!!! But I can't take this film anymore. This is not the worst movie ever like Lone Survivor. No. This film is the WORST animated movie I have ever seen!
½ January 2, 2015
24%

There's a reason this film bombed at the box office, the songs are terrible, the characters are incredibly forgettable except for The Jester, the only saving grace is the animation which even then, is not anything special, avoid this film at all costs, if you don't, you're in for a stinker.
½ January 2, 2015
Adelaide, my seven year old daughter, can't stop watching this since it came on netflix. She loves it! It's a bit cheesy for the adult viewers, but it's been made for kids who will love it.
December 30, 2014
If I let my eyes glaze over, it's really colorful. Joking aside, the film shot for the moon, and made it to Toledo. Great talent behind the voice acting, but the story was missing the wonder of the books, and the animation was woefully substandard for a $70 million production.