Legion of the Dead (Le6ion of the Dead) Reviews

• Sep 02, 2012

After seeing the third Ittenbach film I can safely say I am done watching his stuff. This one (I saw the producer's cut) was the best but that isn't really saying a whole lot. The plot's all over the place as well as the acting and there's actually less gore than the other two I have seen but it's clearly better made and for more money. I wish I could say I was interested to see what he's done since Legion but.... no, not really.

• Jan 25, 2012

Le6ion of the Dead (Olaf Ittenbach, 2001) If you've seen any of Olaf Ittenbach's films (he's probably best-known for 1999's Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead), then you know that, well, horror has never been his strong suit. He knows how to bring the gore, most of the time anyway, but actually scaring a viewer is well beyond his powers. And thus we have Ittenbach's short-lived foray into horror comedy. At least, I think this mess is supposed to be funny. Which would make it better than any other Ittenbach movie I've seen, which are all quite unintentionally hilarious. But that doesn't mean this isn't still a dog among dogs. In case you actually care, the almost-incoherent plot has to do with two idiots, William (the late Michael Carr, who left this as his last work in film, the poor guy) and his stoner buddy Luke (Ibid.'s Russell Friedenberg), who are supposed to meet a friend of theirs. Or so we hear in the beginning. (The friend never makes an appearance; in fact, that whole should-have-been-a-subplot goes away after a single scene.) After a long, rambling stratch of film in which they're kidnapped by a cranky old guy, we actually get to the plot of the movie, which involves the two of them stumbling into a small town in Texas that's about to be the site of the climactic battle between two factions of demons, one of whom (Maniacts' Kimberly Liebe) William falls in love with. While I will grudgingly admit that there are points in this movie where I was willing to allow that Ittenbach has a (slightly) better sense of comic pacing than he does a knack for horror, please, if you value your sanity, avoid this silliness. It's ninety minutes of your life you will never get back, and if it's not the worst movie in the world, that's only because Olaf Ittenbach has made movies other than this one. 1/2

• A.D. V Super Reviewer
    Jan 16, 2012

• Lee ? Super Reviewer
    Oct 29, 2011

My first taste of German splatter director Olaf Ittenbach and the film didn't turn out to be as bad as a lot of reviews suggested. The plot is all over the place but it's unpredictable and introduces a whole bunch of nutty characters early on who all merge together towards the end for the final showdown against a Demon God who's attempting to raise an army of the dead. Pretty funny at times too but some of the humour was a bit childish occassionally. But the film really does deliver some top-notch gore throughout which is really all I wanted to see. It's one that's far from great but also one you cannot accuse of being boring, so don't go into this one expecting too much and enjoy the chaos of it all!

• Jun 14, 2011

Worst. Movie. Ever. Seems no one told Olaf that movies need to have a PLOT and not just a random collection of scenes.

• May 09, 2010

Dont knock this movie until you have seen the full uncut version (not released in usa). This movie is a direct rip off of Dusk Till Dawn... but with the political incorrectness of Feast 2 and the gore and creature design of Evil Dead 2. This movie is fun all the way through. If you love blood, gore, the word "faggot", stupid characters, and a movie that doesnt try as hard as the movies it is ripping off, check this out. (the uncut version.... or nothing at all) By the way. When a cult movie comes out that has little chance of success in the USA with the exception of horror/gorefans... why only release a cut rated R version...? Its just going to do even more terrible than a full uncut version. God distributors are idiots. Viva Internet downloading

• Mar 30, 2010

Wins the award for the most nonsensical plot lines in one move, didn't make any sense at all... but totally great in a "so bad it's good" way.

• Mar 08, 2010

The summary and actors of this From-Dusk-Til-Dawn type movie is totally wrong: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213802/ But the movie, however predictable, kept me laughing in an undead/zombie/vampire/demonic sort of way. If you enjoyed Dusk-Dawn and Army of Darkness, you'll like this one too.

• Oct 30, 2009

I fell asleep during the last part of this, but from what I watched it wasn't that bad for your typical limited budget thriller. I'll give it another review when I see the full thing.

• Mar 15, 2009