The Lemon Drop Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lemon Drop Kid Reviews

November 17, 2016
Save this for Christmas time. Hope has to pay off a gangster he gypped out of money on a horse-racing bet and he and Maxwell introduce the perennial holiday song favorite: "Silver Belles", which Hope would later perform countless times on his television program. Sometimes even with his wife.
½ January 8, 2014
The Lemon Drop Kid is a decent film. It is about the Lemon Drop Kid who accidentally steers Moose Moran's girl away from a winning bet, and he is forced to come up with $10,000 to repay the angry gangster. Bob Hope and Marilyn Maxwell give good performances. The screenplay is enjoyable but a little slow in places. Sidney Lanfield did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.
December 29, 2013
Okay so this film can be considered Christmas because it features Silver Bells, but it certainly does not scale the heights of a White Christmas. Still Hope is up to his conning and Marilyn Maxwell plays opposite him. The story is flimsy and it is slow at times but if you are craving Hope or something with Christmas you might like it.
½ December 25, 2013
Bob Hope is in debt to the mob and must come up with what he owes by Christmas. The Damon Runyon story is a good set-up for Hope's snappy humor if you enjoy his comedy. Marilyn Maxwell plays his girlfriend and William Frawley is also hilarious in a bit part. Also of note, the under appreciated Frank Tashlin did uncredited direction on the film and this film was also where the song "Silver Bells" was first performed.
jjnxn
½ December 22, 2013
Hope does his same old routine but thanks to a sweet backstory and the wonderful holiday tune Silver Bells running through the film, including a charming production number of it, this is one of his better films.
December 19, 2013
This classic Bob Hope movie is one I watched growing up and I love to this day. It's not quite your typical Christmas movie you see today with supernatural elements but about overcoming stupid decisions. The Lemon Drop kid is a con artist who made a very bad decision and in order to get out of the entanglement he comes up with one the worst scams imaginable. During the events of the movie he starts to develop a change of heart but soon becomes caught between a rock and a hard place.

I love the music in the movie, the version of Silver Bells is one of my favorites. The comedy is just as funny with repeated viewings and the ending is just as heart melting. This really is one of my favorite Holidays movies and is a fun time. If you're in the mood for a Bop Hope comedy with Holiday spirit you can't go wrong with this one.

Verdict: Recommended
½ July 11, 2013
Based upon the title I was expecting a gangster film rather than a Christmas /Con artists film. I thought it was a funny film. I liked how the the hotel casino had the buttons to hide the casino table behind the walls. That was an interesting twist.

I thought it was interesting how the plot was resolved because I did not see it being resolved that way.
December 21, 2012
Enjoyable yuletide film includes the perennial "Silver Bells."
½ December 19, 2012
second retelling of a damien runyon story retooled to suit hope's talents.
March 10, 2011
Bob Hope does it again
December 24, 2010
A great Bob Hope" Christmas vehicle. This movie ought to be required viewing at Christmas. Instead, it has disappeared from view. It may not be quite up to the 5-star quality of "It's a Wonderful Life," but it is definitely a 4-star Christmas movie. And that's not bad at all, and it is better than 90% of what passes for Christmas movies today.
½ May 12, 2010
Hope again makes you laugh outloud at his genius
December 22, 2009
Not only is Bob Hope perfect as the conman with a heart of gold, this movie gave us the classic song Silver Bells, and Tor Johnson in a santa suit.
November 13, 2009
This is a very enjoyable and entertaining Bob Hope movie, there are plenty of laughs along the way thanks to a great screenplay. One of his better movies from the 1950's. Good supporting cast.
October 6, 2009
great feel factor movie
½ March 12, 2009
Good comedy that introduced the Christmas song "Silver Bells"
½ January 4, 2009
I had dim memories of the "Silver Bells" sequence, so decided to wrap up the holiday season with this. Pretty silly, but pleasant.
December 18, 2008
Classic Bob Hope comedy set around the holidays. Bob decides to rig the bell ringing Christmas Santas and it all goes down hill from there - screwball style.
½ November 30, 2008
** 1/2 (out of four)

Not one of the best Bob Hope films at showing his great wit and screen presence, but it still has some fun moments.

It's Christmas time and small time hood Hope owes money to the mob. He concocts a scheme to get the money by placing fake Salvation Army Santa's around New York. The idea is great and it almost works, but too many jokes fall flat. No bad, but I think the picture would have been enhanced if Bing Crosby had been along and they had been partners. This time, however, it feels a little half-baked.[/color]
July 2, 2008